Notre Dame....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Notre Dame....

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:I can only apologise for the quality of my recent jokes - I did not mean to stoup so low

I could see you were on your knees,try to transubstantiate your chancel of elevating the humour,then we wont feel the need to pass around the joke(collection) box on your behalf so it won't leave a stain on the window from which you view the world.

PS,I'm glad Gar*(goyle)isn't part of the forum any longer or we'd really be in trouble :shock:

*For the uninitiated Gar was a noted troll about these part in far off times.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I can only apologise for the quality of my recent jokes - I did not mean to stoup so low

I could see you were on your knees,try to transubstantiate your chancel of elevating the humour,then we wont feel the need to pass around the joke(collection) box on your behalf so it won't leave a stain on the window from which you view the world.

PS,I'm glad Gar*(goyle)isn't part of the forum any longer or we'd really be in trouble :shock:

*For the uninitiated Gar was a noted troll about these part in far off times.

Humour is the keystone of this forum, sometimes it can be a baptism of fire and a bit of a labrynth..... it is however a capital idea
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:

Humour is the keystone of this forum, sometimes it can be a baptism of fire and a bit of a labrynth....

Lost in the catacombs of the mind?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Humour is the keystone of this forum, sometimes it can be a baptism of fire and a bit of a labrynth....

Lost in the catacombs of the mind?

That humour is beneath you :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:sometimes it can be a baptism of fire and a bit of a labrynth.....
Ironically, ND cathedral doesn't have a labyrinth I believe, though several other famous French cathedrals do have one: Chartres, Reims, Amiens, etc. I wonder what purpose they serve (other than that one of them - the Chartres Labyrinth - features in Kate Mosse's bestseller Labyrinth).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:That humour is beneath you :wink:

I know, but I am entombed in a state of childish humour. (Mostly!)

One advantage is that it buttresses me against a world flying in the face of reason.
A quiet timeless island reflected in a swirling river of chaos and bigotry.

Then some dick.......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Ironically, ND cathedral doesn't have a labyrinth I believe, though several other famous French cathedrals do have one: Chartres, Reims, Amiens, etc. I wonder what purpose they serve

Easy, they kept the lost souls near at hand!
To be retrieved at will perhaps?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Ironically, ND cathedral doesn't have a labyrinth I believe, though several other famous French cathedrals do have one: Chartres, Reims, Amiens, etc. I wonder what purpose they serve

Easy, they kept the lost souls near at hand!
To be retrieved at will perhaps?

They are there to provide plot material for novelists with low, conspiracy-mongering minds (see under Dan Brown).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

any one into games here Ubisoft is giving away a game that details Notre Dame for free for a few days, called Assassin's Creed Unity
The giveaway lasts until midnight April 25.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/ ... e-de-paris

Set in the French revolution the game features an accurate recreation of Notre Dame cathedral.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48004285
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Audax67 wrote:They are there to provide plot material for novelists with low, conspiracy-mongering minds (see under Dan Brown).
Aha - that's an author whose output has escaped me - for now and hopefully for evermore! :twisted:

Kate Mosse (not to be confused with Kate Moss), on the other hand, does quite a decent series of thrillers. The jumping about between time-periods can get a bit confusing, and I can't quite get my head around the 600-year-old bloke who features in some of the stories - but apart from that they're fine. OK there's a bit of messing around with tarot cards* and the like, but you're not called upon to believe any of that stuff...

*à propos: I don't know much about tarot, but I know one of the cards is a "tower struck by lightning". Portentous?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I downloaded the free game but cant work out how to control the wretched avatar. I only wanted to have a look around the 3-d world but right at the start thrown into fighting - cant work out how to do that either
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
Audax67 wrote:They are there to provide plot material for novelists with low, conspiracy-mongering minds (see under Dan Brown).
Aha - that's an author whose output has escaped me - for now and hopefully for evermore! :twisted:

Kate Mosse (not to be confused with Kate Moss), on the other hand, does quite a decent series of thrillers. The jumping about between time-periods can get a bit confusing, and I can't quite get my head around the 600-year-old bloke who features in some of the stories - but apart from that they're fine. OK there's a bit of messing around with tarot cards* and the like, but you're not called upon to believe any of that stuff...

*à propos: I don't know much about tarot, but I know one of the cards is a "tower struck by lightning". Portentous?

Books and films are often a "different" aspect. Some will bring back memories, others can annoy or inform when you see locations that you know

I have been to places that I recognise in films, and also used them as "themes" for tours.

For instance, when I did the LOchs and Glens (South) I detoured around the "Wicker Man" film locations.

When I watched GoT there are parts of Iceland I recognise, and so on.

Films can also ruin a site. I visited and spent some time in a small church called Rosslyn Chapel. It was small, peaceful and magnificent, I went back a few years later (after the DaVinci Code) and it has become another stop on coach tours, overcrowded, noisy and a far cry from my memory
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The plan to restore the building includes exemptions from rules on preservation and environmental standards
Minus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

#TouchePasANotreDame!

Should it be restored as it was? Or is this a chance to modernise and improve, it could be rebuilt even high€r
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

661-Pete wrote:

I read one of her books, Labyrinth, when it came out. It was OK; in fact, I very much liked her Cathar motto, pas a pas se va luenh, as an audaxing paradigm.
Have we got time for another cuppa?