Ortlieb Recumbent bags

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Ortlieb Recumbent bags

Post by UpWrong »

Photos of them fitted to my Nazca here, https://photos.app.goo.gl/p36fhhV5rZjywkhVA
pjclinch

Re: Ortlieb Recumbent bags

Post by pjclinch »

Or if you want to see some Radicals (the mid-size ones, 55 litres) on a Nazca...

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I just got the 70 litre capacity normal shaped panniers for my SMGT. I figured they'd still work with an upright tourer too if I should get one. Can't remember if they were fitted to my rear or mid rack. I think mid rack because the panniers there took layers very neatly so I could put them on suddenly if the rain came in.

Plus 110 litres total capacity is really stress free on a good recumbent tourer. I was really worried that I'd overload the FS, especially the rear suspension coil. Didn't happen though. IMHO they looked like a bike equivalent to a Honda gold wing!

BTW those bikes look good loaded.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

pjclinch wrote:Or if you want to see some Radicals (the mid-size ones, 55 litres) on a Nazca...

Just noticed how much lighter the Radical Design bags are. I was hoping the Ortliebs would be easier to mount one at a time but I'm not so sure now. The curved frame on the Paseo is not very friendly towards the Ortlieb mounting hooks. The Orliebs are waterproof of course. And I don't have any straps over the seat either since I am able to hang the forward strap on the subframe supporting the seat.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

UpWrong wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Or if you want to see some Radicals (the mid-size ones, 55 litres) on a Nazca...

Just noticed how much lighter the Radical Design bags are. I was hoping the Ortliebs would be easier to mount one at a time but I'm not so sure now. The curved frame on the Paseo is not very friendly towards the Ortlieb mounting hooks. The Orliebs are waterproof of course. And I don't have any straps over the seat either since I am able to hang the forward strap on the subframe supporting the seat.

Roos' Fiero is the "tour" version with a longer and more serious rack, so she doesn't need straps over the seat. They really don't work singly, and the size is such that they're great on tour and not really any use off it, but the rack will take one of our normal panniers for day-trps.

I've always felt waterproof to be over-rated in a touring pannier, to be honest. If you've got that amount of packing space it makes sense to compartmentalise and you can do that with waterproof stuff-sacks, plastic bags etc., and if you put e.g. a wet tent in then you don't end up with a pool in the bottom that can't drain. Compartmentalising makes sense with e.g. clean/dirty clothes, so if you're doing that anyway having the outer waterproof isn't needed. The basic materials are waterproof so the leakage through the zips and seams isn't much. My general endorsement of Ortlieb bags is the mounting and overall quality: I'm not against the waterproofing but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker not having it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I'm thinking of getting the Ortlieb recumbent bags and I was interested to see them being reviewed here, in the review he's stated the volume to be 72l but all I can find is the 54l versions. Anyways I've currently got the Radicals (see attached photo). I can't remember what size they are, pretty sure it's large and they are great but unless they are full, they don't hold their shape and flop about a bit. Also I've yet to perfect the mounting of and stability of these bags to my satisfaction. That's really down to the fact I'm trying to not use the rear rack and want to keep this free for Ortlieb Front Roller city bags for lightweight stuffs!
Hence I thought I might try a set of Ortlieb recumbent bags instead so it would be great to get your input. Now I may also want to mount them along and on the length of my seat instead of using any part of the rear rack. How I'm going to do this I really don't know yet but one thing I've got on my side is the fact the seat is sturdy aluminium so I can drill and attach brackets to keep the bags out of the running gear and add some kind of rail to accept the Ortlieb clips.

Again I'd be interested in any input you guys/gals might have :)

1022181248.jpg
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got the huge 70 litre normal panniers bags ortlieb do. In used standard ortlieb panniers on mid rack and the bigger ones on the rear rack. Huge capacity with the ability to strap on top of rear rack and even put coats and stuff on mid rack panniers.

Then I do have a touring recumbent in the SMGT. You guys with faster recumbent probably don't have this option. I nearly thought of getting the radicals but they're pricey. I didn't think the ortlieb recumbent panniers were that good a design. The larger standard ortlieb panniers have 70 litres so why not use them?
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I've used Radical Designs bags on a couple of tours. They worked fine. As noted they are not waterproof and organising your kit within the bag can be a faff. But they are much lighter than Ortlieb Classic panniers. That said in recent years, since we stopped camping I've used Ortlieb Classic panniers. So easy to attach and detach. UpWrong , you are right they can be a bit difficult to attach to Nazca's curved racks but it can be done.
Attachments
P1010653.JPG
P1000835.JPG
P1000164.JPG
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Tangled Metal wrote:I got the huge 70 litre normal panniers bags ortlieb do. In used standard ortlieb panniers on mid rack and the bigger ones on the rear rack. Huge capacity with the ability to strap on top of rear rack and even put coats and stuff on mid rack panniers.

Then I do have a touring recumbent in the SMGT. You guys with faster recumbent probably don't have this option. I nearly thought of getting the radicals but they're pricey. I didn't think the ortlieb recumbent panniers were that good a design. The larger standard ortlieb panniers have 70 litres so why not use them?

The answer is very, very simple really my luggage rack won't accommodate upright panniers of that size i.e. 70L. The smaller Ortlieb City pannier would be fine as long as I only put light stuff in them. Whereas banana type bags which distribute the weight along the length of the seat are perfect for load carrying.
Last edited by RecumbentRide on 9 Feb 2020, 5:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

swscotland bentrider wrote:I've used Radical Designs bags on a couple of tours. They worked fine. As noted they are not waterproof and organising your kit within the bag can be a faff. But they are much lighter than Ortlieb Classic panniers. That said in recent years, since we stopped camping I've used Ortlieb Classic panniers. So easy to attach and detach. UpWrong , you are right they can be a bit difficult to attach to Nazca's curved racks but it can be done.

On my Challenge Furai I don't have the luxury of a full touring rack but I believe I can retrofit the ortliebs supported by my seat and part of the day rack and leave enough room towards the back of the rack for the Ortlieb's city panniers. As I said before I'm lucky enough to have an aluminium seat hence stronger and can attach more to it.