A9 Perth to Inverness

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

A9 Perth to Inverness

Post by charliepolecat »

On LeJog:

The A9 between Perth and Inverness is going to be a series of roadworks for at least the next 10 years; there's been rumblings along it of the possibility it will gain special road status in the process, as the bridges on the current NMU route from Calvine to Dalnaspiddal that are blocked to motorized traffic are apparently getting upgraded as part of it.
keithg

Re: A9 Perth to Inverness

Post by keithg »

The “special road status” for those not-in-the-know means (if it gets this), it will not automatically have open access to non-motorised vehicles like horses, pedestrians and, most relevantly cyclists. I’m not so sure, its a very long road and it would be unprecedented...I think, for such a long trunk road to be thus designated.
The accompanying bike routes would need to be very much improved which would be a good thing. This is in terms of surface and the directness of the route. I ride the current A9 for short spells to access some of the minor roads and usually when it’s quieter at certain times of day but its never a pleasant experience.
Oh well, interesting times.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Im guessing if this special road status came into place it would be the end of any lejog records for the foreseeable future.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

keithg wrote: I’m not so sure, its a very long road and it would be unprecedented...I think, for such a long trunk road to be thus designated.

I agree - I think there will be quite a stushie if they don't provide a decent and direct alternative for other traffic.