** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:
Psamathe wrote:If she quit now her "legacy" (or what she will be remembered for) is her failure to leave the EU,her failure to get the leave deal passed, her messing around and wasting years achieving nothing, her tying up Parliament for months whilst pressing domestic issues get overlooked. I suspect she hopes that if she can get her deal passed she will be quitting having successfully negotiated the UK's departure from the EU.

Brexit was always about the Conservative Party (rather than the National interest). May's hanging on is about her personal ego.

She's snookered, I wonder if she realizes it.

She either delivers brexit, or doesn't. Either way, she will have failed in the eyes of millions of people. I suspect that, if by some miracle she 'delivers brexit' in some form, many leavers will still consider that she has failed. Some legacy.

what if she revoked article 50? That would be some legacy given all the nonsense we have seen?
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

mercalia wrote: what if she revoked article 50? That would be some legacy given all the nonsense we have seen?

I agree, but that would require her to start telling the truth. Here is an excerpt from today's PMQs:
Labour’s Barry Sheerman says he was a passionate Eurosceptic when he became an MP 40 years ago. But he changed his mind when he saw what the EU did for peace and prosperity. Will May tell the truth about Europe, instead of echoing the lies told by the Brexit party.

May says people voted to leave the EU. The government should implement that, she says.

On that form, I think the chances are slim.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:
mercalia wrote: what if she revoked article 50? That would be some legacy given all the nonsense we have seen?

I agree, but that would require her to start telling the truth. Here is an excerpt from today's PMQs:
Labour’s Barry Sheerman says he was a passionate Eurosceptic when he became an MP 40 years ago. But he changed his mind when he saw what the EU did for peace and prosperity. Will May tell the truth about Europe, instead of echoing the lies told by the Brexit party.

May says people voted to leave the EU. The government should implement that, she says.

On that form, I think the chances are slim.

well no politician tells the truth, she could be just playng a game of gving the leavers enough rope to hang themselves - isnt that what is happening, no one can agree on brexit, look at ll the twists and turns Parliament has gone thru to no effect,.How do you deal with obstinate stupid people, grind them down until they cease to appear to be reasonable? if you cant agree on how to leave whats left? then revoke article 50. She was a remainer remember? I dont know if she is that clever or devious, but thats what I would have done. Its the Game of Politics ( not Thrones)
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mjr wrote:
windmiller wrote:
RickH wrote:EU justice, pah!

Why would we want to have common mechanisms to find & get back UK fugitives who have fled the country to evade justice! :twisted:

I think you are confusing that with the free movement of criminals which the EU promotes.

Do you think that before we joined the EU, criminals were never able to flee to Rio, the Costa del Crime and so on?

I don't think Rio is in the EU anymore. The Costa del crime is now London thanks to the criminals on tour from the EU
mjr

Post by mjr »

windmiller wrote:
mjr wrote:Do you think that before we joined the EU, criminals were never able to flee to Rio, the Costa del Crime and so on?

I don't think Rio is in the EU anymore. The Costa del crime is now London thanks to the criminals on tour from the EU

Your refusal to answer is noted. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

In the unlikely event of Mr(s) Miller being interested in the facts, how the EU facilitates fighting crime.

Exhibit 1:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant

Exhibit 2:

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what- ... ion-system

Exhibit 3:

https://frontex.europa.eu/

Exhibit 4:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europol

I could go on, but doubtless this can all be shown irrelevant because <<rhetoric>>
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I just caught a glimpse of the BBC 6pm News, TM being greeted by the French president and the Union Flag on her limo was upside-down. (I rewound to check.) As every Boy Scout should know, flying the Union Flag thus is a covert sign of distress.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Yes I have to agree those 4 exhibits of the finest EU bureaucracy have worked wonders for the crime figures. Now we only have 4000 EU naughty persons residing @ HMPS Butlins at a bargain basement price of approximately £140 million to the tax payer.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:Yes I have to agree those 4 exhibits of the finest EU bureaucracy have worked wonders for the crime figures. Now we only have 4000 EU naughty persons residing @ HMPS Butlins at a bargain basement price of approximately £140 million to the tax payer.

Please provide a link for figures quoted.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Now, before the intervention of windy, I had no knowledge of whether immigration increases or decreases crime. Happily, these days, the magick of the intertubes can help. So we find:

In line with previous research, we found that migration does not impact crime and there is no evidence to suggest that migrants are linked to any increases in crime in England and Wales.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... F#page=109
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

knock yourself out file:///C:/Users/ragnar/Downloads/SN04334(1).pdf
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:knock yourself out file:///C:/Users/ragnar/Downloads/SN04334(1).pdf

Sorry windy, I don't have access to your hard drive. Even enemies of the people like myself don't stoop to such depths.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Now windy, once you've sorted the url, how about addressing

In line with previous research, we found that migration does not impact crime and there is no evidence to suggest that migrants are linked to any increases in crime in England and Wales.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
windmiller wrote:knock yourself out file:///C:/Users/ragnar/Downloads/SN04334(1).pdf

Sorry windy, I don't have access to your hard drive. Even enemies of the people like myself don't stoop to such depths.
I tried googling the document name and got a partial match:
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... ry/SN04334
which seems to be about prison populations. Don't know if this is relevant (to windy, if no-one else...)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

I tried googling the document name and got a partial match:
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... ry/SN04334
which seems to be about prison populations. Don't know if this is relevant (to windy, if no-one else...)

Well, if that's the same source, it shows that 4030 out of 83263 prisoners are from the EEA, or 4.9%.

An interested observer might ask what the proportion in the overall population is...