Where to window shop for all things recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Where to window shop for all things recumbent

Post by belgiangoth »

I was wondering about headrests, tailboxes, tillers, bars - mostly musing. Even with google it seems that there are not many places that stock the stuff, those that do are often micro/boutique and only sell one or two items. Wherever you look it's typically foreign, expensive, price on application/not listed or a combination of the above.

Where do you go online to window shop for recumbent stuff?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Tigerbiten

Re: Where to window shop for all things recumbent

Post by Tigerbiten »

The best place I know for buying a lot of small parts recumbent is -> https://www.icletta.com/en/index.en.html

Luck ......... :D
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Foreign, Can you name one (current) bike part that's made in Britain?
I can't. :(

Expensive, Yep, goes with the territory (Recumbent). :roll:

P.O.A. = It's so outrageously expensive/overpriced that you'd laugh at us if we showed it, and we'd never get any enquiries, let alone sales.
Plus if you call for price, We know that you're desperate because no-one else has it. :twisted:

Mostly it's a case of knowing the name of the part and doing a search online for it.

Good luck!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

worth getting in touch with Kevin at DTek and maybe paying a visit, if you are keen to buy something.

Also worth joining the BHPC /BHPC forum if you have specific questions; folk on there have lots of knowledge about parts and more to the point often have various parts squirreled away.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc

Post by Marc »

nigelnightmare wrote:Foreign, Can you name one (current) bike part that's made in Britain?

Does the ICE Trikes hard shell seat* made by Ocean Cycles in Plymouth count? The seat pad is made by Radical Design in The Neatherlands, though.

Most recumbent parts are made in The Neatherlands, the US, some in the UK and some in Germany. Check the Icletta webshop for ICE Trikes parts, for instance (Icletta is the German ICE Trikes importer).

*its arguably the most expensive hard shell seat in the recumbent industry. Judging by my skinny but, its also one of the best, though
nigelnightmare wrote:Expensive, Yep, goes with the territory (Recumbent). :roll:

P.O.A. = It's so outrageously expensive/overpriced that you'd laugh at us if we showed it, and we'd never get any enquiries, let alone sales.
Plus if you call for price, We know that you're desperate because no-one else has it. :twisted:

You moan about parts not made in the UK, but at the same time moan about the high prices.
Don't you think your fellow country members (or EU members) deserve a decent wage? I don't know about you, but I prefer it when there are a few Euros left when the month is over (not the other way around).

Also, high prices are mainly the result of small production quantities. If you can only manufacture a few hundred items, the production cost per item are much higher than manufacturing several thousand or millions of parts. High Quality has its price too. Recumbent parts are usually no cheaply made crap made by the millions.
Last edited by Marc on 15 May 2019, 7:09pm, edited 19 times in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tigerbiten wrote:The best place I know for buying a lot of small parts recumbent is -> https://www.icletta.com/en/index.en.html

The other 'best place' is https://www.ginkgo-veloteile.de/ginkgoshop ;)
Among other things, Ginkgo is the best source for customized Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs on this planet: https://www.ginkgo-veloteile.de/ginkgos ... rum-Brakes
They are known for their excellent wheel building as well. Jörg and Lutz, the two owners, are very nice chaps and fellow recumbent riders.

Iceletta as well as Ginkgo offer an outstanding customer service, equivalent to ICE Trikes.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Marc wrote:
nigelnightmare wrote:Foreign, Can you name one (current) bike part that's made in Britain?

Does the ICE Trikes hard shell seat* made by Ocean Cycles in Plymouth count? The seat pad is made by Radical Design in The Neatherlands, though.

Most recumbent parts are made in The Neatherlands, the US, some in the UK and some in Germany. Check the Icletta webshop for ICE Trikes parts, for instance (Icletta is the German ICE Trikes importer).

*its arguably the most expensive hard shell seat in the recumbent industry. Judging by my skinny but, its also one of the best, though
nigelnightmare wrote:Expensive, Yep, goes with the territory (Recumbent). :roll:

You moan about parts not made in the UK, but at the same time moan about the high prices.
I wasn't moaning, just noting. :wink:

Don't you think your fellow country members (or EU members) deserve a decent wage? I don't know about you, but I prefer it when there are a few Euros left when the month is over (not the other way around).
That's why I buy from ICE to support a native company. Expensive but worth it.

Also, high prices are mainly the result of small production quantities. If you can only manufacture a few hundred items, the production cost per item are much higher than manufacturing several thousand or millions of parts. High Quality has its price too. Recumbent parts are usually no cheaply made crap made by the millions.
Exactly.

The POA thing is (mainly) true. :roll:
Just ask one of them for the price and judge for yourself, in almost all cases you'll be shocked rather than surprised.

:oops: You got me there I had forgotten about ICE trikes Hard shell seats (both glass and carbon) they even had a video about them and the bloke that makes them.
Marc

Post by Marc »

nigelnightmare wrote:The POA thing is (mainly) true. :roll:
Just ask one of them for the price and judge for yourself, in almost all cases you'll be shocked rather than surprised.

Had to look-up POA... :D

Really? Didn't occur to me (and I'm usually pretty cheap). Probably as soon as there ain't no price on the item, I usually look somewhere else (do they want my business, or what?).

High Prices:
I usually ask myself, Can I get it cheaper? Does the quality justify the cost? (I used to be a sucker for good prime lenses), Can I build it myself (maybe even in better quality, or simply 'good enough')? Do I currently have the means to build it (lathe, milling machine, etc)?
Most importantly: Do I have the time to build it, or look around to get it cheaper? also quite important: Do I have the money at hand?

If all answers are no, well... I'm f****d! :D
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

If you know what you want and Performer make / use it, then usually they can supply at sensible prices. (Last purchase was a minibar handlebar.) Otherwise TerraCycle for a more expensive option (usually via Icletta).
"42"
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Quick comment about "Ocean laminates " run by Marcin .
Ocean offer via Ebay basic seat shells ( un drilled and without fixings or mounts ) for the DIY boys and girls at affordable prices if you don't mind drilling and fabricating to complete .
Daytime he is employed at the ICE works producing the "high end Glass/Carbon " VTX + Sprint X seat shells .
See the videos and note the prices have risen since May 2019 .
Just for the record.
I have the largest stock of new ICE spare parts and accessories in the UK (other than the "works" of course)
Also the sole supplier of specific parts for ICE B1 + B2 + B3 that includes frames !
These much loved two wheel recumbents were built and designed by ICE ten years ago .
However I also deal in pre-owned + shop soiled and re-furbished ICE Parts with sensible savings on new .
Another speciality .......I have vast stocks of new and used spares and parts for other well known brands
Plus I'am now regarded as the "one stop" source for Windcheetah and Kingcycle + Radius Peer Gynt owners .
If you desire a HUB gear box ,.,.such as Alfine + Sram or RH 14 ?? or Son Hub wheel dynamo or perhaps a fairing
I often have used examples on offer .........just ask :wink:
Hope that helps
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I don't think anyone has mentioned recumbentparts.com or toxy.de. Also Nazca has a parts web shop.