Cycling MP: worthy example or exploiter?

horizon

Re: Cycling MP: worthy example or exploiter?

Post by horizon »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Because they're twits! :lol:

Thanks LD. This is seriously worrying. It's a gross and deliberate misunderstanding. If that is what is being peddled (excuse the pun) by our national newspapers then the British people will get what they deserve.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I suspect some are upset because they think that, since you don't need to visit a garage forecourt with a bike, bikes cost nothing to run. They therefore think that this MP - and anyone else claiming bike mileage - is having a laugh and getting money for nothing. Taking the liquid waste outflow. They do not take this seriously.

I seem to remember that there was also an allowance for using a horse.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just checked out the cost of annual, recommended servicing at a good bike shop I use for bike repairs. I don't use them much and certainly not for the full annual servicing they recommend. However if I did costs for my commute only would be 16.8p per mile servicing costs, without any parts costs. I really need to commute more as I could get it down to below 10p
softlips

Post by softlips »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:You know you can claim mileage for using your own car at work? You may not know, but you can also claim mileage for using a bicycle at work. This MP is doing pretty much that, albeit he's claiming the mileage from expenses rather than via the HMRC route.

I claim 20p per mile via the HMRC route. I use Strava to keep track of rides which qualify.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

As a civil servant, I regularly claimed cycling mileage for cycling to and from meetings, usually cycling to and from office to station and station to office, but I once did an 80 mile round trip by bike and claimed the mileage. I claimed using our office expenses system through work. I wouldn’t bother if it was less than a quid though.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect some are upset because they think that, since you don't need to visit a garage forecourt with a bike, bikes cost nothing to run. They therefore think that this MP - and anyone else claiming bike mileage - is having a laugh and getting money for nothing. Taking the liquid waste outflow. They do not take this seriously.

I knew a bloke who worked in Kendal DSS office (as it was then called) who walked to and from a week's official course in Newcastle. The rascals wouldn't pay him a penny for even one of his miles walking, despite the wear on boot and sock! Nor would they pay for his overnight tenting.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect some are upset because they think that, since you don't need to visit a garage forecourt with a bike, bikes cost nothing to run. They therefore think that this MP - and anyone else claiming bike mileage - is having a laugh and getting money for nothing. Taking the liquid waste outflow. They do not take this seriously.

I knew a bloke who worked in Kendal DSS office (as it was then called) who walked to and from a week's official course in Newcastle. The rascals wouldn't pay him a penny for even one of his miles walking, despite the wear on boot and sock! Nor would they pay for his overnight tenting.

Cugel

I think the way to look at it is as charging. I'm self-employed so I charge 45p per mile to my clients (as do other people). That's not for my expenses, that's for the time and inconvenience. If I do part of the journey by bike (hard work, wet, cold, dangerous) I charge £5.00 per mile (obviously). But then I let them off and only charge the car mileage rate.

You can test this out with a taxi driver: offer him just his expenses and see what he says.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

IMO, MPs ought to be made to ride bikes. I'm happy for their mileage allowance to be paid. I'd even punt for a little extra.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Vorpal wrote:IMO, MPs ought to be made to ride bikes. I'm happy for their mileage allowance to be paid. I'd even punt for a little extra.

One feels the only inducement that would work, to get the MPs cycling everywhere, would be to tie them to the bikes. Even that would be inadequate as they would pick at the knots. No .... we'll have to weld them on.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Vorpal wrote:IMO, MPs ought to be made to ride bikes. I'm happy for their mileage allowance to be paid. I'd even punt for a little extra.

Or perhaps their mileage rate should be limited to the cycle rate for journeys of less than 10 miles. If they want to take a large metal box with them they should do it at their own expense.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote:There are some politicians - I suspect only few in number - who genuinely use a bike - Andrew Mitchell of Plebgate notoriety comes to mind.

There was one minor government figure who rides a lot, and has often been photographed around London (where I think he lives).
Spoke posh, comical haircut - what WAS his name? John someone?

Or maybe Johnson. Barry Johnson? Something like that ...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattheus wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:There are some politicians - I suspect only few in number - who genuinely use a bike - Andrew Mitchell of Plebgate notoriety comes to mind.

There was one minor government figure who rides a lot, and has often been photographed around London (where I think he lives).
Spoke posh, comical haircut - what WAS his name? John someone?

Or maybe Johnson. Barry Johnson? Something like that ...

You've instantly made cycling disreputable by drawing attention to that clown, our soon to be Prime Mnister.
John
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I didn't think Corbyn spoke posh! :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:My own view is , 'well done that man,'.

My view too. I'd claim mileage in those circumstances (NB. I have a dim memory of having claimed cycling travel expenses back in 2004-2005)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Surely (if government were clued-up) the sensible thing would be to offer the 45p per mile 'expenses' if the MP used bike or car, thus getting more MPs (and other civil servants) on bikes - eager to make a 'profit'