Snarky driver query?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Snarky driver query?

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:Common sense told me many years ago that filtering up the inside where vehicles are turning left is probably not a good idea if I want to stay alive.

That's neither common nor sense. The dangerous thing IMO is left-side close-passing vehicles that could turn left as they start to move, not merely filtering past on the left. Heck, I filter past on the left in my car at some junctions, where there's room to do so - I do that cautiously and usually covering the brakes, like when cycling, because one of queue might realise they don't need to be in that queue and change lanes left, but a heck of a lot of people seem to see nothing wrong with passing a queue at/near the speed limit. :shock:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

It may not be common and in your opinion not sense but it has served me well for the last 60 years or so and I am still here to write this.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:It may not be common and in your opinion not sense but it has served me well for the last 60 years or so and I am still here to write this.

Do you drive? If so, do you never pass a queue of cars to your right while driving? And if not, don't you get quite some abuse from following drivers and possibly attention from the authorities?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
ambodach wrote:It may not be common and in your opinion not sense but it has served me well for the last 60 years or so and I am still here to write this.

Do you drive? If so, do you never pass a queue of cars to your right while driving? And if not, don't you get quite some abuse from following drivers and possibly attention from the authorities?

I think he means in the same lane.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

Not a good idea. The driver of the adjacent vehicle is directing the vast majority, if not all of their attention to the right where other vehicles are approaching. When they see a gap they will pull out and depending on the angle of the vehicle their nearside may get very close to the kerb. A good driver will check left before doing this but they will probably be looking in the direction they intend to go which will be through the windscreen not the side window as their position when they stopped will be skew rather than at right angles - and thus will increase the likelihood of conflicting with an adjacent cyclist. If the road they are joining is familiar and difficult to join the motorist is even more likely to miss your presence and be at a more acute angle as it's easier to accelerate a vehicle hard if the steering wheels are straighter.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I do drive and I have had cyclists coming up on my left as I am indicating left. I knew they were there but they could not know that and they have stopped me turning as intended as they continued straight ahead regardless of my indicators. I have driven commercials and make extensive use of wing mirrors as a matter of habit. Other drivers may not be so attentive to their nearside which is why when cycling I proceed with caution.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:I do drive and [...] when cycling I proceed with caution.

Well, that's one question answered out of three, plus a nice softening from "not a good idea if I want to stay alive" to "proceed with caution". Thank you.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

mjr wrote:
ambodach wrote:I do drive and [...] when cycling I proceed with caution.

Well, that's one question answered out of three, plus a nice softening from "not a good idea if I want to stay alive" to "proceed with caution". Thank you.

I'm still trying to make sense of the three questions.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mjr wrote:

Passing a queue of cars on your right while driving your car is nothing like creeping up on the left hand side of a queue cars that might be turning left while on your bike.
Richard M
Cardiff