SRAM Apex 1 not downshifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GELL71

SRAM Apex 1 not downshifting

Post by GELL71 »

Hi all,

1st post here, so be gentle.
I have a 2 month old Cannondale Slate with SRAM Apex1. Since my first wet ride the shifter won't release the cable on downshifts. If i drop 2 or 3 gears there is enough tension to pull the derailleur down 1 gear. It has all the hallmarks of a stuck cable. Problem is i've replaced the cable 3 times. There is virtually no friction in the cable run at all. I've lubed the derailleur pivots, and they're fine. The only thing i can think of is the shifter is getting stuck on the downshift release. I've sprayed oil into the shifter in desperation, but no luck.

Has anyone else experienced issues with Sram double tap 1x shifters?

I'm obviously covered under warranty, but the store (wheelbase) is based 300 miles from me, so bringing it in isn't an option.

Cheers
Guy
Brucey

Re: SRAM Apex 1 not downshifting

Post by Brucey »

the mech itself could be partially seized. It is also possible that the cable housing ends (or something) are bad and are causing binding in some way.

BTW just to be clear when you say 'downshift' are you shifting onto smaller or larger sprockets? If the former then you are talking about an upshift, not a downshift. Upshifts get slow if the mech and/or cable is sticky. Good workshop manuals have specifications for required cable tension at the shifter.

Unless you are a skilled mechanic, or are prepared to pay the LBS to carry out work on your bike, it is best to buy bikes locally, not remotely. Some retailers will pay for warranty work to be carried out locally but not all, and anyway this may not be classified as warranty work per se; a corrosion induced seizure may (rightly or wrongly) be deemed 'user error'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GELL71

Post by GELL71 »

Thanks for the reply Brucey. You're right, it's an upshift, i.e. smaller sprocket, using mech spring tension. I'm on my 3rd set of cables, so i've ruled out cable drag as a possible issue. In removing the shifter i tried operating it with just an inner cable and pulling it through by hand. There definitely appears to be a sticking issue in the shifter on the upshift.
Anyway, Wheelbase have asked me to return the shifter/caliper and mech to them for assessment. Will wait and see.
skraburski

Post by skraburski »

Hi,
I've exactly the same issue on my new Apex 1.
I was wondering if maybe cold is making some grease more sticky?

Did you manager to solve your problems?

Regards,
Huskamute

Post by Huskamute »

Exact same problem here. My first sram gears, always had Shimano so wasn't sure if it was indicative of this 1x apex system.
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

I used to have the same problem with my Rival / Force 1x set up.

If you are using a 11-42 cassette do you have a spacer between the cassette and the freehub? The 11-42 cassette is dished, so it is the same width as a 10 speed cassette. I fitted a spacer as if I was using a 10 speed cassette and after re-indexing the problem disappeared.

SRAM built the 11 speed 11-42 cassette to fit on 10 speed freehubs, and recommend a spacer if using this cassette with an 11 speed freehub. Without the spacer the derailleur is operating at the very limit of the available inward movement, which requires setting the cable tension really high, which messes up the shifting.
wilkes2006

Post by wilkes2006 »

Guys,

I have the same issue, 1 x 11 Apex 1 groupset on a Cannondale Slate.

I bought the bike on ebay, in great little used condition. It worked fine initially but seems to have developed the issue after cleaning.

I haven't removed the cable yet or lubed the shifter but have lubricated the derailleur to no avail.

Has anyone resolved their issue completely?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Are you certain the replacement cable outer is properly seated in the shifter? On some shifters (I have no experience with this on the Apex) the outer cable when fitted may feel properly located but a good shove pushes it home another few mm. If this isn't done then taping the cable to the bars can hold the outer cable in such a way that derailleur spring tension can draw it in but when spring tension is released the tape pulls it back therefore messing up the initial shifts but not necessarily all of them.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the shifting is bad or the shifting has gone bad immediately after cleaning the bike, the cabling is the first suspect.

FWIW shimano used to have a document called something like "101 causes of bad shifting" on their website; there are many things that can go wrong.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rouleur126

Post by Rouleur126 »

My Apex 1 is on the way back to SRAM under a warranty claim. The gears in the middle of the cassette work fine. Problems seem to revolve around the extremes of the cassette. Get two lowest gears to work, the two highest don’t. Get two highest to work, two lowest don’t. Also, decent bump on back wheel causes gears to jump. New cables fitted and 3 mechanics could not resolve. Gear change inconsistent and totally unreliable. Finally gave up!