E-scooters

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: E-scooters

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:I'm not sure I've seen many, maybe a kid on one in the park, what I have seen more of is what appear to be illegal e-bikes, the problem is, how do you distinguish the legal ones from the illegal ones, then how do you distinguish the e-bikes from the bikes? If e-bikes or e-scooters start becoming a problem, even a minor problem with lots of bad press, it might open the door to all bikes and scooters being made identifiable and registered, to cut down on the illegal ones.

TBH I can't see registration plates happening unless the problem becomes a huge one with threat to life and limb.
The undermanned police forces such as they are,are struggling to stop illegal car use let alone a few people electric scooters and e-bikes,that said if b6 chance such vehicles are spotted being ridden at high speed by police in sure they'd be stopped and perhaps confiscated.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Not seen any in this part of the world - or at least I've not seen any.
Saw absolutely loads in Benidorm when we've been there. They seem to have different laws on these things out there.

Everything is illegal unless it's specifically permitted. E-scooters aren't permitted to be used in public places.
What it needs IMHO, is a test case of someone being prosecuted for riding one, and the plaintive arguing that "everybody's riding them!"

I doubt that would be excuse enough from a legal POV.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well if they become legal I will definitely get one :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well if they become legal I will definitely get one :D

You most likely won't be alone,but be careful around other road users,heaven knows the damage you could cause by riding one indiscriminately :shock:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I trust you'll be wearing a helmet.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I trust you'll be wearing a helmet.

Wouldn't that be evidence that you knew your vehicle was dangerous? :twisted:

I've seen a few around. Don't seem to be causing any problems. Very minority stuff. As long as speeds stay below cycling speeds, I think I don't care.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:

You most likely won't be alone,but be careful around other road users,heaven knows the damage you could cause by riding one indiscriminately :shock:

Almost as much as someone on an e-bike? :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It was an attempt at humour,obviously I failed miserably :)
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:You most likely won't be alone,but be careful around other road users,heaven knows the damage you could cause by riding one indiscriminately :shock:

:lol: I was trying to join in! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:Almost as much as someone on an e-bike? :twisted:

:lol: I was trying to join in! :lol:

EEK! :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Was recently in Majorca & was concious of the number of e-scooters zooming along the cycle paths,often with two people on board!
On my Brompton, they were probably the biggest hazard.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just heard a comment on the radio

'People are getting fatter and heavier by the year. The last thing they need is a scooter to get them from their car to their destination, instead of walking just a few metres'
Unlike a cycle a scooter can easily be taken in any car, it is so light even a frail driver could lift it into the boot

Minus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just heard a comment on the radio

'People are getting fatter and heavier by the year. The last thing they need is a scooter to get them from their car to their destination, instead of walking just a few metres'
Unlike a cycle a scooter can easily be taken in any car, it is so light even a frail driver could lift it into the boot

Minus One!

I doubt escooters will lead anyone to drive who doesn't already. It may mean they get less precious about parking on the doorstep and maybe don't even drive for some short journeys.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just heard a comment on the radio

Minus One!

Yes, and many such will have an electric hoist in their boot, to lift the scooter in and out.

In a crash, the larger scooterer would have more momentum. I fear for the frail grans and also for the less-quick children playing hopscotch! Dog paws might also get it. The vets will charge loadsamoney to deal with scooter-crushed dog paw.

On the other hand, the scooterer's legs will be in just the right place for a dog-nip to swerve them away from the paw. The less-quick children could also bite at them. The frail grans must go about bearing a pointy stick.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

There's a bloke uses one on the Bristol railway Path and it does motor!.

These things aren't, as far as I know, street legal and certainly should not be ridden on footpaths or cycle-paths. Before anyone accuses me of being puritan since I happen to think that a segregated cycle path should not be used by motorised traffic, it's worth noting that Amsterdam has now banned 30 mph mopeds from it's cycle lane network.

Why? (IMHO, daft idea originally).

Well, given that these things aren't limited like e-bikes, it's the same problem: mixing faster moving motorised traffic in with slower moving, on average, non-motorised traffic. If it's applicable to mopeds, why not e-scooters?. The only difference is fossil fuels vs lithium batteries.