SRAM Powerlink

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jessand

SRAM Powerlink

Post by jessand »

Hi All

I've been using SRAM chains for years, taking out the powerlink for chain cleaning using Sheldon's method. It follows that I've removed this type of link dozens of times. On the latest couple of new chains I've had a little difficulty in fitting, normally just put the links in and a gentle pull and they snap into place but these took a lot of effort to get seated properly. Then, on the last chain I had a senior moment and realised I needed to split it again to check the bottom bracket. Could I undo it!!!? I tried and tried, gave it a tap with a hammer, used Clever Standard plier things - all to no effect. I've had the chains for a couple of years (in the supplied plastic case) and they did seem less sticky than usual to after a while I put a couple of drops of oil on the link but that didn't help either.

Have they changed? I've seen reference to non removable links on the web but as far as I know these should be the normal ones I've always used.

Help please!
robgul

Re: SRAM Powerlink

Post by robgul »

Here's the answer : https://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperB_ToBe-Ma ... B007E8YO7Q - for opening and closing magic links

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in some types (speeds) of SRAM chain there are 'powerlink' and 'powerlock' options. It is more difficult to both make and break the latter; they are meant to non-reusable. Maybe you have ended up with one of those?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jessand

Post by jessand »

Rob, I apreciate it is one answer but I'm reluctant to go down that unless absolutely necessary - I'd be more inclined to use a different chain manufacturer.

Brucey, I think you may be right. i don't know how I got powerlock if it is the case. It's very annoying.

Thanks both.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I had a struggle the last couple of times with SRAM powerlinks. So searched on youtube. there are several videos on removing without tools. Now seems easy .

secret seems to be:

1) spray/clean link
2) hold chain either side with right hand thumb on one plate & left hand forefinger on other
3) push thumb & forefinger together a bit whilst wiggling/plying chain and trying to push in the direction it will unlock.

works for me. definitely try the wiggling...not just trying to push straight

there was also a method with a piece of string threaded right round the two pins, back & crossed over so you can pull the string to pull the two pins together. That also worked for me but plates pinged across the garage...but my hands were clean ! (well cleanish)
old fangled
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

hoogerbooger wrote:... push thumb & forefinger together a bit whilst wiggling/plying chain and trying to push in the direction it will unlock.

Easy, peasy, with 7 or 8 speed.
Manageable, just, with 9 speed.
Difficult, very, with 10 speed.
Impossible, nigh on, with 11 speed.
Untested with 12 speed ... but not hopeful of budging the little blighter!!
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

you got me there. I rarely venture beyond 8 speed. (Another good reason not to may be !)
old fangled
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this page

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/component/accessories

suggests that currently, 8s and 9s are Powerlink (reusable) and 10s and 11s are powerlock (non reusable)

This page

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains-spares/?brand=sram

contains some anomalies but suggests that both types exist for some chains.

cheers
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Eyebrox wrote:
hoogerbooger wrote:... push thumb & forefinger together a bit whilst wiggling/plying chain and trying to push in the direction it will unlock.

Easy, peasy, with 7 or 8 speed.
Manageable, just, with 9 speed.
Difficult, very, with 10 speed.
Impossible, nigh on, with 11 speed
Untested with 12 speed ... but not hopeful of budging the little blighter!!

IME not.
Even my well used commute bike(10x3) the link comes away easy, I've used YBN/KMC/SRAM and have them (10speed) on 4 bikes currently, before that the 9 speed again no issues, not a problem with 11 speed which I have on two bikes, an absolute doddle both KMC and YBN.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Question - though am sure must have been asked before - can you pretty much use these links across differently branded chains? At least up to 9 speed.

Info - I mostly use Sram chains - somewhere i have some shimano pins i must give away. can never figure out why, unless I have missed something, shimano doesn't use such a sensible system.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

after many years not using QLs shimano have changed; some cheap shimano chains and some expensive shimano chains now use QLs.

SRAM QLs work in lots of other chains but not all. KMC QLs also work in lots of other chains and they say which ones they fit, and make special QLs for some other manufacturer's chains.

cheers