** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by windmiller »

The only ones against brexit are anti democracy, pro corrupt establishment - I'm alright right jack thank you very much, head in the sand stuff reality mate, blinkered liberals, and a few others who should know better.
Last edited by windmiller on 17 May 2019, 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Farage is corrupt.
Fox is corrupt.
Google them.
Rees Mogg is a moral hypocrite.
Banks is corrupt.
Johnson is just an ego.

And I am not corrupt, so you are wrong.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Farage is corrupt.
Fox is corrupt.
Google them.
Banks is corrupt.
Johnson is just an ego.

Yeah sorry about the corrupt part I didn't mean you personally, but I do think you are misguided. The liberal mindset does appear to have a problem with reality.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

windmiller wrote:
Fox is corrupt.
Google them.
Banks is corrupt.
Johnson is just an ego.

Yeah sorry about the corrupt part I didn't mean you personally, but I do think you are misguided. The liberal mindset does appear to have a problem with reality.

You may or may not be correct but it would be useful if you could:

a) define a 'liberal mindset' and

b) give some evidence by way of examples for 'having a problem with reality'.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

As for anti democracy, maybe look at who opposes another vote now the situation has changed over three years?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:The only ones against brexit are anti democracy, pro corrupt establishment - I'm alright right jack thank you very much, head in the sand stuff reality mate, blinkered liberals, and a few others who should know better.
The insults keep pouring in! Did you see the film I'm All Right Jack? Ok it dates from the 1950s, but it brilliantly portrays what I'll have to call the "white, working-class, not-too-intelligent, prejudiced" demographic - a demographic further personified in the 1960s in Till Death Us Do Part.

If that demographic exists today, it almost certainly voted for Brexit en masse.

As to being anti democracy, explain why calling for a second referendum because of indications that public opinion has changed, is "anti-democracy". I have to admit, I don't follow your logic.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:The only ones against brexit are anti democracy, pro corrupt establishment - I'm alright right jack thank you very much, head in the sand stuff reality mate, blinkered liberals, and a few others who should know better.

Feel free to insult the majority of the population with unthinking bile.

It's certainly convinced me of your case.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
windmiller wrote:
Fox is corrupt.
Google them.
Banks is corrupt.
Johnson is just an ego.

You may or may not be correct but it would be useful if you could:

a) define a 'liberal mindset' and

b) give some evidence by way of examples for 'having a problem with reality'.

Ooooh - big philodophical queries that may be beyond the Miller to grind away at! Still, let us hope he can produce some reasonable flour with which to bake his notion-loaves. I have a feeling that, if he does, these loaves will be of the Mother's Pride type rather than a good nutty cobb full of the aggregate found in more nutricious head-food. Still, Mother's Pride has a nice twee name and is easy to eat since it tastes of nothing and no one will be tempted to spit it out - unless they realise they might as well be chewing on polystyrene. Yes, the Pride variety of notion-bread definitely requires something else spread on it if one isn't to fade away from malnutrition of the mind.

But I digress.

The Miller may have a point about we inheritors of The Enlightnement, in it's various exudations. "Do as you want" liberalism does seem to have a drawback or two. On the other hand, would we rather be in Siberia, at the mill with slaves? No. But what is the name of the thing he offers us as an alternative? Is there an alternative he has in mind, or is he just doing a Farage (moaning and complaining as his mill wheels lie idle and no flour ever appears).

There I go again! Now .....

Strangely enough, one large portion of Enlightenment Liberal thinking is that of the Jean Jaques Rousseau ilk, which generally morphs into the notion that there is only one political method or system for becoming enlightened and liberated. These schemes take many forms, all of them being intolerant of alternatives. What we generally call communism (of the USSR or Mao varieties) and facism are children of The Enlightmenment, as is the neoliberalism under which we all currently labour.

Liberalism is often not too liberal! :-)

But let us await The Miller's wisdom, for it will surely soon pour forth.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
But let us await The Miller's wisdom, for it will surely soon pour forth.

Cugel

Hmm, but it didn't pour forth over his thoughly debunked crime statistics and their causes, upthread a tad.

"Windy" bears something of a resemblance to an earlier contributor on here, one "blackbike", long gone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:Mick,PWA
If you vote for the Brexit party you're giving credence to Farage who is an ultra rightwing shyster and a liar.
His brand of politics is a retrograde step for the UK as a whole IMHO.

You may be right. I don't feel easy about him. I may just sit on my hands this time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You couldn't be more wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

One of the more unattractive "virtues" of the hallowed liberal mindset is the hypocritical wrath that pours from it when it is beaten with its' own club.
So far I see little evidence of Liberal tolerance while debating brexit. Can we not debate opinions that we don't all share ( though the posting majority on here do appear to to be anti-brexit) without paranoia.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:
If you vote for the Brexit party you're giving credence to Farage who is an ultra rightwing shyster and a liar.

You may be right. I don't feel easy about him. I may just sit on my hands this time.

Whatever our differences over the EU issue, I agree with you about Farage.
He makes me feel very uneasy too.
Not particularly on Brexit- I expect that- but rather the lack of any solid policy other than Brexit.
There is something rather unpleasant and untrustworthy in his whole demeanour.
I think he would really struggle to cope with any real (and then by necessity)power. He would become the vehicle for a whole bunch of stuff and other people that would be of huge detriment to the future of the UK.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

windmiller wrote:One of the more unattractive "virtues" of the hallowed liberal mindset is the hypocritical wrath that pours from it when it is beaten with its' own club.
So far I see little evidence of Liberal tolerance while debating brexit. Can we not debate opinions that we don't all share ( though the posting majority on here do appear to to be anti-brexit) without paranoia.

With all due respect, your linking crime in the UK to EU membership was pretty paranoid.
And untrue.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pwa wrote:

Whatever our differences over the EU issue, I agree with you about Farage.
He makes me feel very uneasy too.
Not particularly on Brexit- I expect that- but rather the lack of any solid policy other than Brexit.
There is something rather unpleasant and untrustworthy in his whole demeanour.
I think he would really struggle to cope with any real (and then by necessity)power. He would become the vehicle for a whole bunch of stuff and other people that would be of huge detriment to the future of the UK.

His Brexit Party is an attempt to provide a new UKIP without the fruitcakes and overt racists, but he was in charge of UKIP for a long time and never managed to rid it of those influences then, so I can't see why it will be different this time.