Footwear

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BoldRover

Footwear

Post by BoldRover »

I don't use clip-in shoes/pedals and seek the advice of others on here re appropriate shoes for use with flat pedals. I've always just worn trainers but I'm sure there'll be superior alternatives with particular regard to water resistance. Thanks in advance. 8)
mattsccm

Re: Footwear

Post by mattsccm »

Stiff soled walking type trainers can be had with waterproof linings. The very stiffest will still be fine for walking and stiff is good for cycling. Big hole in the top tends to let water in though.
Buy what fits the foot and you can either try on or return.
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

Thanks, Matt. Something like these, would you say?

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-n ... e=18315103
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Five ten mountain bike shoes have grippy soles that are rigid.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

For waterproof I just wear whatever with waterproof socks. more waterproof than waterproof footwear and cover your ankles too. For cycling, anything with flattish rubber soles.
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

Anyone have an opinion on five tens?
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

bogmyrtle wrote:Five ten mountain bike shoes have grippy soles that are rigid.

I went for the Fiveten Freeriders. The Evans operative wanted to sell me expensive cycling socks. I declined; but does anyone here advocate their use?
freiston

Post by freiston »

BoldRover wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:Five ten mountain bike shoes have grippy soles that are rigid.

I went for the Fiveten Freeriders. The Evans operative wanted to sell me expensive cycling socks. I declined; but does anyone here advocate their use?

Off the bike, I wear thick woollen or "1000 mile" socks and so I need socks specifically for my cycling shoes (my others being too thick). I use Aldi cycling socks - not expensive but they started to make them ridiculously short which I do not like. The ones I have seem perfectly adequate for the job and don't show any signs of wear to cause concern. I can't see any need to buy expensive ones. I can't remember what mine cost but less than £3 I think.

If you've already got socks that do the job with your cycling shoes, stick with them - otherwise if you need to buy some or want "cycling socks", I've just took a look at Decathlon and they sell them at £4 a pair (as do Wiggle too). I certainly have no cause to advocate expensive or cycling-specific socks.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

DHB do some fairly stiff soled non spud cycling shoes.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Five Tens as a dedicated bike shoe, but if you need to walk on mud/grass, they are not the best. For more of a cross, I like the Merrill Crosslander. Has a good tread and the sole is thin enough to feel the pedals
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
avalonian

Post by avalonian »

These are nice,I have a brown pair and a black pair
https://quoc.cc/products/fixed-tan
pwa

Post by pwa »

These are unlike any other bike shoe I am familiar with, but way beyond my comfortable price bracket. https://quoc.cc/collections/gravel-bike ... black-camo