SPD Touring Shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud

SPD Touring Shoes

Post by iandusud »

I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/

Cheers, Ian
deliquium

Re: SPD Touring Shoes

Post by deliquium »

Not tired the DHB ones, so apologies if this reply isn't relevant :oops:

But I would have if I'd seen them before I bought a pair of Shimano RT5s a week or so ago

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p36 ... uring-Shoe

If you're a size 42 (as in real sizing unlike some other brands) I have a pair of these which match your requirements and have had good feedback on the is forum in past years.

They are new and unworn and come with new unused Shimano SH-51 SPD cleats - which I hadn't got around to advertising yet

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p33 ... vio-SP-705
Attachments
Exustar.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thanks for the offer but I take a size 45. Out of interest what are your thoughts on those shoes?

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.
I bought mine from Spa Cycles.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:I have a pair.
Seem ok to me. A bit boring to look at, but ok. Pity they only come in plain black.

How stiff are the soles, Mick?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

iandusud wrote:I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

Cheers, Ian

Yes, I have three pairs of those. one white & two black. Size 45 is perfek for summer socks and 46 for winter socks of the waterproof type or thick wool type.

The laces give a good close and adapts-to-the-foot fit over one's foot arch so even though there's a good bit of wriggle-room in the toe box, your feet don't slide forward in the shoe. They have built-in lace-capture elastics.

The soles are stiff enough for heavy pedaling efforts but you can still walk about in them. The sole doen't flex much but just enough to stop you doing a clown-walk. You wouldn't want to walk miles in them though. The sole has deep and wide-gap tread, which keeps the cleat from scratching floors but can trap large lumps of sharp gravel between the treads. Careful on your wooden floors if you've walked over a gravelly entrance to the cafe!

They seem quite resilient to the knocks and scrapes. Mine still look newish after a few thousand miles on two pairs (summer & winter - I got a third pair at the sale price for the future). They don't lose their shape if they get wet. The insole is comfortable, even on my slightly flat feet.

They seem just as functionally-good as posh makes costing 3 -5X the price, frankly.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

For some values of "normal", but as someone who tends to live in sandals 6 months of the year I use Shimano SPuD sandals for touring. Since the upper is somewhat minimal the fact that I generally find Shimano shoes far too narrow isn't an issue.

Current model seems to be the SD5.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote:

They don't bend and flex if that's what you mean. The soles aren't hard, but nice rubber so they are comfortable to walk in, but I wouldn't like to wear them to go for a long walk.

Here's a shot of the underside. I use Speedplay Frog pedals.
IMG_0237.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Cugel wrote:
iandusud wrote:I need to replace my current touring shoes, ie ones I can walk in and that look "normal'. I've spotted these DHB one from Wiggle and wondered if anyone here has tried them?

Cheers, Ian

Yes, I have three pairs of those. one white & two black. Size 45 is perfek for summer socks and 46 for winter socks of the waterproof type or thick wool type.

The laces give a good close and adapts-to-the-foot fit over one's foot arch so even though there's a good bit of wriggle-room in the toe box, your feet don't slide forward in the shoe. They have built-in lace-capture elastics.

The soles are stiff enough for heavy pedaling efforts but you can still walk about in them. The sole doen't flex much but just enough to stop you doing a clown-walk. You wouldn't want to walk miles in them though. The sole has deep and wide-gap tread, which keeps the cleat from scratching floors but can trap large lumps of sharp gravel between the treads. Careful on your wooden floors if you've walked over a gravelly entrance to the cafe!

They seem quite resilient to the knocks and scrapes. Mine still look newish after a few thousand miles on two pairs (summer & winter - I got a third pair at the sale price for the future). They don't lose their shape if they get wet. The insole is comfortable, even on my slightly flat feet.

They seem just as functionally-good as posh makes costing 3 -5X the price, frankly.

Cugel

Very helpful. Thank you. I'll order a pair.

Cheers, Ian
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

pjclinch wrote:For some values of "normal", but as someone who tends to live in sandals 6 months of the year I use Shimano SPuD sandals for touring. Since the upper is somewhat minimal the fact that I generally find Shimano shoes far too narrow isn't an issue.

Current model seems to be the SD5.

Pete.

That's good to know, I've always steered away from these because I've never found a Shimano shoe that fits me (I'm normally 47/48). The Exustar sandals fit me fine, but they're a bit more enclosed than I would like.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CliveyT wrote: The Exustar sandals fit me fine, but they're a bit more enclosed than I would like.
I don't like sandals to be too enclosed either, so I bought Shimano.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod164561
Mick F. Cornwall
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've been using Shimano RT82 for the last 3 years. They have two velcro and one ratchet fastener.
I am a nine (43) but find 91/2 (44) fits best. They are. good for walking to the cafe or around a garden, say but don't look chunky. They are well ventilated

Seems these were discontinued a few months ago. Shame.
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

big fan of these:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-rumble-vr-off-road-shoe/

especially the blue ones - great on tour and look 'normal' -super comfy too
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:

They don't bend and flex if that's what you mean. The soles aren't hard, but nice rubber so they are comfortable to walk in, but I wouldn't like to wear them to go for a long walk.

Here's a shot of the underside. I use Speedplay Frog pedals.IMG_0237.jpg

The only issue with the EXUSTAR Stelvio SP 705 is the toe area at the knuckle area over the big toe. There is stitching there where the toe section is attached to the shoe body and is inflexible and can chafe the big toe knuckle The shoe is also a narrow fit
freiston

Post by freiston »

Colgrenfell wrote:big fan of these:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-rumble-vr-off-road-shoe/

especially the blue ones - great on tour and look 'normal' -super comfy too

A bloke I sometimes ride with has a pair of these and they look really good and not obviously bike/SPD shoes at all. I would love a pair but can't justify spending any more money on footwear.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)