Green lights.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Green lights.

Post by John Holiday »

Was in Hereford earlier this week for a two day Bikeability Cycle Conference . The conference venue was adjacent to the original bridge across the river,& is consequently narrow & light controlled.
The lights went green & I then proceeded to cross, only to be confronted by motorists approaching.
I was in centre of narrow carriageway, so they were forced to stop.
However,I was subject to a hail of abuse as they said their light was green.
I pointed out that "green" didnt mean go,merely proceed if safe to do so. I suggested that they look at Highway Code, but got more abuse.
We obviously need compulsory re-tests every five years,so that drivers are kept up to speed on what they should be doing.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Green lights.

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

And you're surprised, because...?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Compulsory retests every five years?
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Yes,because most drivers think that, having passed their test,they don't need to think about their driving skills anymore.
The general standard of driving is deplorable & speed is a major factor in most collisions,death & injury on the roads.
As a Speed Watch Volunteer, I am frequently horrified by the dangerous behaviour of drivers. Last week.we caught someone near a school ,at time when there were lots of children crossing the road,doing 59mph in a BMW!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

John Holiday wrote:Was in Hereford earlier this week for a two day Bikeability Cycle Conference . The conference venue was adjacent to the original bridge across the river,& is consequently narrow & light controlled.
The lights went green & I then proceeded to cross, only to be confronted by motorists approaching.
I was in centre of narrow carriageway, so they were forced to stop.
However,I was subject to a hail of abuse as they said their light was green.
I pointed out that "green" didnt mean go,merely proceed if safe to do so. I suggested that they look at Highway Code, but got more abuse.
We obviously need compulsory re-tests every five years,so that drivers are kept up to speed on what they should be doing.

Because blind bit of difference how? :D
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

John Holiday wrote:Last week.we caught someone near a school ,at time when there were lots of children crossing the road,doing 59mph in a BMW!

What else would you expect them to be driving? :D :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
John Holiday wrote:Last week.we caught someone near a school ,at time when there were lots of children crossing the road,doing 59mph in a BMW!

Audi
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

tykeboy2003 wrote:

I know they are big cars but that's some achievement.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

mjr wrote:Audi

Hadn't thought of that one.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Your light was green, how fast were you cycling? I think road works traffic lights are meant to allow for 10 mph traffic to get through before the oncoming lights turn green (a friend had your issue in road works some years ago, and had the police come to check, police drove throught at 10 mph to check, met oncoming traffic (who had green), and got the lights reset.
It might be worth a local (I assume you were visiting?) check the timing of the lights between green, and or simply reporting it to the local highway authority.
I expect a more helpful reply to the driver would be that your light was green when you went on the bridge, as they would naturally assume you had gone through a red light (after all, every one knows all cyclists do that......(!)), so having a "red light jumper" lecturing the driver on use of green lights wouldn't go down to well. I'm not defending the driver, just saying how it might appear to them.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Thanks for the thoughtful and reasoned response.
Despite the climb over the bridge, I would think that I would achieve 10mph on my Brompton.
The thing was,that the bridge is a narrow single carriageway & it appears most cyclists cycle across on footpath!
I was just frustrated at the daft response of the drivers to finding a cyclists blocking their path.
Safe cycling!
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

By the way, how do folk manage to spend 2 says talking about bikeability?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Ah, a Brompton!
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Bikeability Cycle Training has changed significantly recently in its aims & the conference was designed to elaborate & explain these changes.
They intend that Bikeability training should cater for a much wider range of participant, & to include riders with varying degrees of disability.
Thus a wide variety of adaptive bikes may now be used & positively encouraged.
They also recognise that trainees might have made significant progress,despite not actually achieving a Level 2 or 3.
As well as the various seminars there was an award ceremony for various people & groups who had made significant contributions to training , & an opportunity to ride around Hereford & see the great efforts that the Herefordshire council had made in encouraging walking, cycling, scooting to school, college and places of work.
I trust the foregoing indicates that we were not just sitting about chatting, although it was an excellent opportunity to talk to other trainers & discuss problems & approach. There was also an opportunity to quiz the Minister of Transport on cycle safety.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... There was also an opportunity to quiz the Minister of Transport on cycle safety.

As in failing Grayling? Did he have anything to say worth mentioning here? eg about the dangers posed by the careless opening of car doors?