Radio panel discussion about road behaviour

Oldjohnw

Re: Radio panel discussion about road behaviour

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
i have said many times before ... no hands free, no contactless dialling, no phone use while driving, ... is the only way.

Which should also apply to cyclists.

No it shouldn't. Equating the danger to others posed by phoney drivers to that posed by phoney cyclists is a very bad risk assessment, indeed!

I think you might benefit from reading https://www.kaupunkifillari.fi/blog/201 ... heading-10

And?
John
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Methinks the ‘and?’ Is in your court! :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

And nothing. I've made the point that he's failing to differentiate risk levels. If there's some part of that the honourable member doesn't get, I'll try to answer any more elucidating questions, or others might before I get back.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

landsurfer wrote:As i have said many times before ...
no hands free, no contactless dialling, no phone use while driving, ...
is the only way.

100% agree.
NUKe

Post by pwa »

NUKe wrote:
is the only way.

100% agree.

Yep. Mind on the road.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^Agreed(plus 3)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

landsurfer wrote:How would anyone without a drive/off-road parking, charge a car ? Leads laying across the pavements ? .. Multi cables coming from every street lamp ?... won't happen.

Near field and far field technology for wireless charging of motorvehicles, it's already a thing and car manufacturers are investing in it big time. Supermarkets and should probably invest in EV charging in their car parks and then give you loyalty points :lol:

I agree that EVs are not the solution but government (well money from some other country no doubt same as everything else) has already invested heavily in the infra for it AFAIK. With most personal motorvehicles stationary/unused around 95% of their lifetime there's certainly an argument for a 'taxi' system but people would baulk because the reality is that companies will make hundreds if not billions of pounds profit - with the standard tax avoidance just to rub it in, and it actually still cost more than owning your own vehicle over a year.
The powers that be just can't see or don't want to see the massive benefits of removing motorvehicles and their operators from the highway and at the same time making other more efficient, less harmful (directly/indirectly) modes easier, safer and viable for journeys even to 10 or more miles from conurbations.
Then we have the whole last 'mile' delivery options which if we really want that to happen then we will need decent sized electric assist vehicles of some sort and charging. Personally I try to consume as less as possible, if it still functions then it stays, if it can be repaired then it will be, even clothing lasts me decades, not that I'm tight but I guess my Yorkshire blood/upbringing means I'd rather spend money on niceties (bikes mainly) than stuff that is perfunctory.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

is the only way.

The whole thing about having media screens on the dashboard of a car/motor is a disgrace, the Tesla I think has a 10" one if not bigger, there was a car advert last year were the driver was constantly using social media and was openly seen/heard in the ad to be doing so, the advertising standards weren't interested in the fact this was unlawful/socially irresponsible, yet cycling without a helmet and 'in the middle of the road' was enough for them to ban an ad, cretins :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
NUKe wrote:
is the only way.

100% agree.

Yep. Mind on the road.

Not while driving
Not while cycling either

Telephoning while driving is much much worse than telephoning while cycling but while cycling is *really stupid*
Anyone disagree?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
NUKe wrote:100% agree.

Yep. Mind on the road.

Not while driving
Not while cycling either

Telephoning while driving is much much worse than telephoning while cycling but while cycling is *really stupid*
Anyone disagree?

Yes, over in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=130020 - let's keep the general discussion there, but here I'll ask: are you trying to remove every incentive for people to cycle? What next? Breathalysers and zero alcohol limits to stop people cycling to the pub? Ban bikes from bridleways and restricted byways to stop them exploring the quiet countryside?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:Yep. Mind on the road.

Not while driving
Not while cycling either

Anyone disagree?

Yes, over in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=130020 - let's keep the general discussion there, but here I'll ask: are you trying to remove every incentive for people to cycle? What next? Breathalysers and zero alcohol limits to stop people cycling to the pub? Ban bikes from bridleways and restricted byways to stop them exploring the quiet countryside?

Unrelated questions, glad to answer: no, I do not want 'more cycling', one could make a case for transfer from motor to cycle, I would prefer less motoring without more cycling, did a thread with a poll about this recently
My cycle to work through the town would be more agreeable if there were fewer cyclists
I would favour a zero alcohol limit when cycling, but I know many here disagree so I do not bother arguing
Am I to understand you think telephoning when cycling is ok?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

That's off topic here.

More cyclists would make my trips better because there'd be more pressure to fix stuff and we'd probably reclaim a lane on some sections. I can cope with the traffic.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I wished to two guys would have challgenged the woman to ride a bike, to see how she
perceives what it's like to be on two wheels in traffic.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I don't think we need to do anything. We don't owe drivers a favour. They're an endangered species, and in our lifetimes they're going to be either priced off the roads, or else relegated to the bus because there aren't enough electric cars to go around.

Ignore them, and pretty soon in the grand scheme they will go away.

It is obvious that for a very large number of motorists the purchase of an electric vehicle is beyond their means.
Does this mean that they will no longer use petrol/diesel vehicles in the future if they are no longer produced?
I suspect that unless there is an outright ban on these vehicles there will be a thriving second hand sales and repair market which will keep these vehicles in use for decades e.g as happened in Cuba during sanctions.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ANTONISH wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:I don't think we need to do anything. We don't owe drivers a favour. They're an endangered species, and in our lifetimes they're going to be either priced off the roads, or else relegated to the bus because there aren't enough electric cars to go around.

Ignore them, and pretty soon in the grand scheme they will go away.

It is obvious that for a very large number of motorists the purchase of an electric vehicle is beyond their means.
Does this mean that they will no longer use petrol/diesel vehicles in the future if they are no longer produced?
I suspect that unless there is an outright ban on these vehicles there will be a thriving second hand sales and repair market which will keep these vehicles in use for decades e.g as happened in Cuba during sanctions.

Indeed. Are not new ICE cars beyond the means of many motorists? |These already buy 2H vehicles. Will there be a market in 2H electric cars, or are they too quickly beyond use?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?