Big Bike revival ... yet more helmet normalising!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
661-Pete

Re: Big Bike revival ... yet more helmet normalising!

Post by 661-Pete »

Got a flyer for our annual local charity ride pushed through our letterbox. We've gone on it in the past, though we've missed the last few years due to holidays.

To my dismay, one of the partners prominently listed on the flyer was Headway. This organisation, as we all know, does invaluable work in rehabilitating those unfortunates who have suffered brain injury. It also campaigns for helmet compulsion.

So I went to the ride's official web site, and sure enough, helmets are now compulsory on the ride. They didn't use to be - certainly not when I last took part.

Is it worth bringing up the argument about the deterrent effects of helmet compulsion, outweighing the benefits, in terms of general health?

Oh well - there are other ways of keeping up cycling. :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:Is it worth bringing up the argument about the deterrent effects of helmet compulsion, outweighing the benefits, in terms of general health?

Briefly, yes, along the lines of "I'd love to, but I don't use a helmet and don't agree with you forcing people to use them because [...]" but if the ride has been infected by Headway, then there's a low probability of success.

If only we had some public health or cycling charities willing to take an equally hard line in the opposite direction...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I checked last year's entry forum, and it merely says "all cyclists should wear a suitable helmet". Nothing about "compulsory". That word has crept in for the first time this year. I suppose that's Headway's influence.

Are Headway an appropriate partner/sponsor for a charity bike ride? Drawing attention to the fact that occasionally cyclists crash and suffer injury? Do, say, airlines publicise their service by pointing out that sometimes their planes crash? :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

mjr wrote:Edinburgh cycling must be in an even worse state than I realised!

It is estimated that 3% of journeys in Edinburgh are made by bike in the 2017 Annual Cycling Monitoring Report, and it has the highest level of cycling in the whole of Scotland. In the grand scheme of things cycling there really isn’t great, but it is noticeably less bad than most (if not all) other parts of Scotland.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I checked last year's entry forum, and it merely says "all cyclists should wear a suitable helmet". Nothing about "compulsory". That word has crept in for the first time this year. I suppose that's Headway's influence.

Are Headway an appropriate partner/sponsor for a charity bike ride? Drawing attention to the fact that occasionally cyclists crash and suffer injury? Do, say, airlines publicise their service by pointing out that sometimes their planes crash? :shock:

Maybe one could check in wearing a h*****t, then take it off soon after the start
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

661-Pete wrote:Are Headway an appropriate partner/sponsor for a charity bike ride? Drawing attention to the fact that occasionally cyclists crash and suffer injury? Do, say, airlines publicise their service by pointing out that sometimes their planes crash? :shock:

Ah, I like your thinking. If all riders were a black box flight recorder they'd be immune from injury!
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

661-Pete wrote:I checked last year's entry forum, and it merely says "all cyclists should wear a suitable helmet". Nothing about "compulsory". That word has crept in for the first time this year. I suppose that's Headway's influence.

Are Headway an appropriate partner/sponsor for a charity bike ride?

No - definetly not!

Now ask me a hard one.
atoz

Post by atoz »

I get the impression that for many people helmets are considered "normal". Certainly the local member group has noone left not wearing them.

Personally I prefer to make decisions about my safety on the bike on the basis of evidence, not on so-called "common sense" - given that the evidence of their effectiveness is the subject of a lot of dispute. However, I seem to be in the minority.

Cycling UK are not exactly helping (again) when they release a video on their Youtube page where most people on it seem to be wearing helmets- even when not on public roads. See my post https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=130043 where I made the comment that he who pays the piper calls the tune- so it would seem in this case also. And yet again the dreaded flo green hi viz made it's appearance- despite official evidence that would dispute it's use- see https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent Based on this rather weak evidence base, you'd be just as well off with a pink Castelli Perfetto top- at least you'd be stylish, or in Italian cycle speak "bella in sella"- lol.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

There is no question that a lot of these anti helmet comments are silly. If you don't want to wear a helmet and the organiser says you should, don't ride it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

charliepolecat wrote:There is no question that a lot of these anti helmet comments are silly. If you don't want to wear a helmet and the organiser says you should, don't ride it.

The problem then becomes by just going with the flow we end up with few to no organised rides anyone can go on.
And then if "the organiser" becomes the government and its attitude to letting people ride bikes on its patch, as is the case in NZ and much of Oz, then we end up with a massive own-goal for public health and the marginalisation of cycling as a reasonable means of mass transport.
That's not "silly", that's stupid to the power of ten.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pjclinch wrote:
charliepolecat wrote:There is no question that a lot of these anti helmet comments are silly. If you don't want to wear a helmet and the organiser says you should, don't ride it.

The problem then becomes by just going with the flow we end up with few to no organised rides anyone can go on.
And then if "the organiser" becomes the government and its attitude to letting people ride bikes on its patch, as is the case in NZ and much of Oz, then we end up with a massive own-goal for public health and the marginalisation of cycling as a reasonable means of mass transport.
That's not "silly", that's stupid to the power of ten.

Pete.

I completey agree, but would add that as wearing becomes more and more the norm, and accepted as a necessity, cycling is more and more an activity for the intrepid and those prepared to take accept an enhanced risk, not a normal way of getting to school or work.
Contrast those countries where cycling is still ordinary transport, and those where it is unusual.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

well said Mike & Pete.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

mattheus wrote:well said Mike & Pete.

And a big +1 from me :)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cycling UK looking for video uploads from their volunteers.

To help spread the word about how rewarding volunteering with Cycling UK can be, we'd like our volunteers to create a quick 90-second, or less, video of themselves talking about 'What volunteering means to you'.

So if you are a volunteer and you want Cycling UK to have a choice of videos that don't feature people in plastic hats ...

https://www.cyclinguk.org/webform/volun ... g-mean-you
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Well, Cycling UK's membership department don't answer the phone and don't return answerphone messages. This being the case I'm rather disinclined to do anything to help them at the moment.

I phone IPMBA in America (having checked they're actually awake) and the phone answers in 2 rings. Ditto MIAS, get an email response in under 5 minutes during office hours. I'm more than happy to do stuff for these outfits unpaid, because communicating with them isn't like swimming through treacle while wearing handcuffs.

Sort it CUK. If it's this hard to get you to take my money I'm definitely not keen to find out how hard it is to give my time to you for free.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.