Bar Bag Klickfix thingy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

Bar Bag Klickfix thingy

Post by Psamathe »

I use a Ortlieb bar bag and it came with their lockable handlebar adapter. It worked OK (key now a rusty and still byt I've a can of WD40 ...). But I've damaged the cable that attached it to the handle bars. A replacement cable is cheap enough, but by the time I add P&P I was wondering if the Rixen & Kaul ones are significantly better as, depending on which one I need, after P&P the extra is not massive.

Last summer I did (unwisely) use the lock a couple of times and got away with it (given the bar bag contains iPad, camera, passport, etc.) so in some ways getting one without a lock might avoid me being daft (even though I got away with it once or twice).

1. Are Rixen & Kaul brackets much better (or worse) than the one that comes with Ortlieb's bar bags ?
2. Is their any logic to their range and which one would I need or which ones should I look at (SJS seem to have a "significant" range)?

Many thanks
Ian
LollyKat

Re: Bar Bag Klickfix thingy

Post by LollyKat »

I have a Carradice Super C bag and a small Ortlieb, and use the Rixen & Kaul bracket that came with the Carradice.The only possible advantage of the Ortlieb one is the lock, which might stop an opportunist grab at a red light (I believe this has happened a few times). but I wrap the shoulder strap round the handlebars instead. Having to buy a special replacement cable for the Ortlieb seems daft - the R&K is very sturdy and you can use old brake cables to fit them if necessary. You can also buy them now with a lock - at a price.

This is the one I have. Make sure you get the corrrect size of fitting for your bars - 22-26mm or 31.8mm.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I have both and prefer the Ortlieb one. Sjscycles do the cables if that's all you need
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
PH

Post by PH »

I have both brackets, three barbags and a basket with different fittings (2 x Ortlieb, 2 x R&K)
Note the interchangeability only works one way, R&K bags don't fit Ortlieb brackets. R&K brackets are also available with a lock if that's what you want. In use, there isn't IMO a lot between them, the R&K snaps on rather than sliding like the Ortlieb, it's possible to only have attached one side, I've seen a bag come off like this (Not mine). There's pros and cons on the fitting, the R&K uses a plain cable as security, if you've chewed it up and want to swap to another bike a bit of brake cable wrapped in something (I use heat shrink) is fine. But if you want to swap to a bike with different diameter bars, you'll need to replace the clamps, where on an Ortlieb the cable fits any bars.
If you think your Ortlieb is the only thing the bracket will be used for, then finding a cheap way to replace the cable makes sense, if you think you might end up with others, standardising to R&K might be a better option.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The way the ortlieb bracket fixes to the bars is more secure. Once the cable tensions up and it's locked off it prevents the bracket from rotating up or down on the bar, whereas the klicfix cable stops the bracket from rotating downwards but not up, only gravity and the tightness of the plastic collars does that. Only really an issue if you go over rough ground where the bar bag and bracket can get repeatedly bounced upwards.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I've been using Altura barbags with R&K mounts for years - I've just bought an Ortlieb bag and thought the mount was awful - I've just stuck with the R&K mounts that work perfectly with the Ortlieb to transfer from bike to bike..

... and if you break or lose the cable a bit of brake cable inner wire in a length of plastic tubing works a treat.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Many thanks. The main reason for the thought was some R&K brackets are not much more expensive than the Ortlieb replacement cable (when you include delivery costs). Often I'm happy to spend a bit extra if I get something better but it sounds like in this case Ortlieb is fine (and if the lock on mine has gone a bit bad it's probably a good thing as it will stop me using it and make me take the bag with all my valuables with me!).

Ian
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's quite common to use the R&K brackets without the cable. Not recommended, but it's not the end of the word if you do lose the cable.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think there are atleast 2 differnt length R&K brackets and also an extension.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Good point, all the people I know who've used it without the cable have had the standard version. The longer one might exert enough leverage to make this unwise (not that I'd recommend it anyway).
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:I think there are atleast 2 differnt length R&K brackets and also an extension.

One of the arguments for the R&K might be the number of options and accessories available for it, brackets for stems and seatposts, extension, additional clips for gpx/lights, backplates to turn any bag into a barbag... I haven't seen them all and doubt they're all available in the UK. I don't think there's more than one size standard bar bracket, the different clamp sizes fit the same bracket, though I don't know how different the E-Bike version and there's other brackets for different accessories.
I had an extension and did notice it for the first few miles, after that I just got used to it and it was never a problem. Some people are more sensitive than others to the effects on handling, some won't use a bar bag at all for this reason.