dozey pedestrians

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: dozey pedestrians

Post by pete75 »

This whole thread seems little different to drivers complaining about cyclists blocking the roads, not moving over when they sound their horns etc.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote: ......On a more general note my guiding mantra is 'Treat pedestrians the way you would like motorists to treat you'

In a nutshell.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Shouting upsets people. Bells upset people. Hmmm..p. How about a wind ul gramophone strapped to the handlebars playing German marching music?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Shouting upsets people. Bells upset people. Hmmm..p. How about a wind ul gramophone strapped to the handlebars playing German marching music?

Some people are determined to be upset no matter what,the blessing is they're a small minority,like dozey and idiot drivers are :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am very friendly to PoFs, people with kiddies, dogs etc, have lots of good encounters, usually they are friendly and I can tell they do not feel threatened, I go very slowly and stop if necessary, I think my behaviour is exemplary :wink:
Don't like groups of joggers, drunks late at night
I do not walk much on shared paths but I fear many other PoBs go too fast and think too little

Must be awful in busy places, PoBs doing 30 kmh, meandering dogs and walkers
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hemo

Post by hemo »

You can't educate ejits.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Put yourself in their shoes, they are walking down a quiet, single track road, side by side, the guy is probably somewhere near the middle of the lane, think what a shock it would be if a cyclist suddenly passes his right hand side, in the narrow space between him and the verge, at 15mph.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:Put yourself in their shoes, they are walking down a quiet, single track road, side by side, the guy is probably somewhere near the middle of the lane, think what a shock it would be if a cyclist suddenly passes his right hand side, in the narrow space between him and the verge, at 15mph.

Quite!
I've been on the receiving end of that kind incident whilst walking a footpath with someone who at the the time was suffering terribly with anxiety/depression.
She nearly jumped out of her skin as Mr Richardhead MTB zoomed past us,he still doesnt know how far it put her back on he rroad to recovery :twisted:
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

In the OP situation I'd have tried to get their attention and slowed down if I thought I hadn't, riding carefully around pedestrians is a mater of self interest as much as anything else. However, leaping into the road without looking is dozy behaviour and some of the replies make me wonder what people think will happen when more cars come electric and virtually silent. Are we expecting them all to slow down to 10mph and sound their horn when they come across pedestrians? All road users need to have consideration for others, IMO pedestrians are not exempt from that.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Trolley buses used to be called the "silent death", with good reason...
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

reohn2 wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:Shouting upsets people. Bells upset people. Hmmm..p. How about a wind ul gramophone strapped to the handlebars playing German marching music?

Some people are determined to be upset no matter what,the blessing is they're a small minority,like dozey and idiot drivers are :wink:

I hear you loud and clear buddy ;)
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
RickH

Post by RickH »

We bought a hooter for Clare's tandem, similar to one of these (but with a rubber strap fixing it on):-
It has quite a good volume but is difficult to make it sound aggressive. It seems better at getting attention than a bell & mostly raises a smile when I use it.

A ping type bell can sound very like the default sound of Facebook Messenger which I think is one reason they can confuse people. A 2 tone model or something more resonant is probably better.

The advantage of a tandem is that we're usually chatting so people tend to pick up the sound of voices.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Where I live the main street is two way with a notional 30mph speed limit. There is quite a lot of vehicle movement but tourists regard it as a pedestrian zone and wander along the middle of the street. This causes quite a lot of local irritation to put it mildly. I cycled along several times per day between our shop and workshop. The bike I used for this had a very loud squealing brake which I found very effective in alerting dozy peds. particularly if applied fairly close behind. Gave much childish pleasure. For country lanes I have a very bad hacking cough which alerts anyone at a fair distance and even elicits sympathy. Better than a bell anyway.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I use my voice to replicate a bell when the need arises, I then use a smile and a good morning/afternoon, oh and approaching at a reasonable speed as I mentioned upthread works wonders too.
Music wise, any decent Heavy Metal will do 8)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A version of 'The Golden Rule' might be useful:

"Do unto pedestrians as you would have motorists do unto you."
John