Tell me about… minivelos

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Tell me about… minivelos

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Saw this (https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/20/velo-o ... -anywhere/) on the interwebs.

A full size frame with 20” wheels looks quite a good idea; apparently quite common in the Far East. Anyone know more?
Campag

Re: Tell me about… minivelos

Post by Campag »

Small wheels without suspension results in a very bumpy and harsh ride. There are advantages to small wheels in designs such as folders (Brompton, Dahon etc) or small wheeled road bikes (Moulton). If it is an unsuspended frame, better using large wheels.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not sure about the Far east generally, but I've seen plenty in Japan. The one in the link looks quite basic compared to some multi chainwheel, drop bar bikes, spec'd pretty much like a decent road bike.

I think their popularity is partly due to being able to take them on trains, etc in Rinko (read recent posts).

About 4 years ago I posted about these little bikes asking for opinions. The replies weren't very favourable primarily due to their small wheels. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92975&hilit=wheel+japan

Finally, they do look rather nice, particularly in high spec, with good paint, leather saddle, bar tape, etc. I have been tempted.

Sayonara.

Edit: Above post written as I was writing - so just like to add, generally Japanese roads are much better than ours so maybe bumps not such a problem.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think the concept is a sound one for some people,price of the Velo Orange minivelo is bonkers :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

reohn2 wrote:I think the concept is a sound one for some people,price of the Velo Orange minivelo is bonkers :?

Oh aye, not disagreeing (especially if you were to add in the cost of importing).

Presumably a minivelo needs a biggish chainring up front?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I think the concept is a sound one for some people,price of the Velo Orange minivelo is bonkers :?

Oh aye, not disagreeing (especially if you were to add in the cost of importing).

Presumably a minivelo needs a biggish chainring up front?

I don't see any reason that bike should be anymore than £800 or less.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

No idea what you base that one, but it's certainly about what I'd expect for a steel frame from a small volume producer. Are you maybe a little out of touch with what's happened to prices? The frameset for your Salsa Vaya is currently just under $1,000, take that as the benchmark and either all prices are bonkers or none.
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't ridden one, but there is something about smaller wheel bikes that that's different. I enjoy riding my Airnimal Joey, in a way that has nothing to do with the folding, I'm not sure I understand why, it's just good fun.
Another one you might like a look at and maybe a more mainstream price, is the Cannondale Hooligan
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/Bi ... 829e142359
PH

Post by PH »

Or, there's the Orbea Katu, which ought to be at a price rehon2 approves of :wink:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Katu-50- ... 127340.htm
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you take a Raleigh Twenty, fit better gears/wheels and weld a crossbar in, you will come fairly close to the minivelo riding experience.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:

No idea what you base that one, but it's certainly about what I'd expect for a steel frame from a small volume producer. Are you maybe a little out of touch with what's happened to prices? The frameset for your Salsa Vaya is currently just under $1,000, take that as the benchmark and either all prices are bonkers or none.

A Genesis Croix/Tour de Fer frameset is around £400 and a Spa Aubisque is about the same,with complete bikes coming in at about £1000 or thereabouts.My Genesis Vagabond frameset cost £345.
I still think the Velo Orange MiniVelo is grossly overpriced.
And I think the Salsa and Surly prices are now bonkers too FTM.

EDIT,I'd expect to pay VO Minivelo prices for a similar custom built frameset,I don't think the VO is anything special at all,OK is has a fair few brazeons and sliding dropouts but they dont bump the price up into the £1k frameset and worse still £2k complete bike bracket.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:I don't think the VO is anything special at all,OK is has a fair few brazeons and sliding dropouts but they dont bump the price up into the £1k frameset

You can make any comparison you want, but the link says the frameset has a full price of $750 and currently on offer at $675 which is around £600/£535 so I don't know where you get the £1k from, I haven't seen any UK pricing which will of course be subject to different sales/import tax.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think it looks fun but I'm not entirely sold on the point of it. It isn't foldable so won't fill that Brompton niche for commuters, at least not in the UK. Might be easier to take on planes and in cars, I guess. One point I'd watch is catching the rear mech when riding on rough surfaces or over grass.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I don't think the VO is anything special at all,OK is has a fair few brazeons and sliding dropouts but they dont bump the price up into the £1k frameset

You can make any comparison you want, but the link says the frameset has a full price of $750 and currently on offer at $675 which is around £600/£535 so I don't know where you get the £1k from, I haven't seen any UK pricing which will of course be subject to different sales/import tax.

Look at the prices of Salsa and Surly in the US and compare with the UK .
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:

Look at the prices of Salsa and Surly in the US and compare with the UK .

To what aim? I've already given you the US price of a Vaya frameset, $1,000, this at $750 isn't so different as to cause a fuss. You may call it bonkers, I'm merely pointing out that it isn't any more/less bonkers when compared with other US makes.
There was a time when I could import SOMA frames (And pay the tax/duty) cheaper than a UK equivalent, those days are gone...