Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Tory leader - place your bets

Post by PH »

Anyone having a flutter? Don't be one of those who tell us how much you won when the race is half run or over, lets hear it now. This isn't so much about who you think will win, more who you think it's worth backing because the odds and likelihood look good. Here's mine:
Andrea Leadsom 12/1 get that while you can, I don't think the odds have caught up with the advantage her resignation could make.
Penny Mordaunt 20/1 bit unlikely I know, but IMO there's still more chance of it than the odds suggest
David Lidington 33/1 even more of an outsider and a remainer to boot, but they might just decide a safe pair of hands is needed to calm the waters.

If I could get a bet against it going to any of the three front runners I'd take it, I think they're too divisive, they'll split each others vote and won't make it onto the short list.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I was going to suggest Attila the Hun, but Mrs Dopestrong has pointed out that a) he's no longer alive, and b) he's a bit left wing compared to some of the other candidates.

Personally, I don't think point a) should automatically disqualify him.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Some rich cretin who is out of touch with the needs of the country, who will try to cut from the poor so that the rich can keep what they have rightfully earned.
The name is irrelevant.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Lance Dopestrong

belgiangoth wrote:Some rich cretin who is out of touch with the needs of the country, who will try to cut from the poor so that the rich can keep what they have rightfully earned.
The name is irrelevant.

So you're suggesting Tony Blair? I like your thinking!
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I was going to suggest Attila the Hun, but Mrs Dopestrong has pointed out that a) he's no longer alive, and b) he's a bit left wing compared to some of the other candidates.

Personally, I don't think point a) should automatically disqualify him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: please not whilst I'm drinking me tea :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

belgiangoth wrote:Some rich cretin who is out of touch with the needs of the country, who will try to cut from the poor so that the rich can keep what they have rightfully earned.
The name is irrelevant.

You mean just like the present one?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
The name is irrelevant.

So you're suggesting Tony Blair? I like your thinking!

Yer doing it again! :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it will be a job share this time.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tony Blair.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Will a new leader make any difference to the political problems?
Could anyone reconcile the factions of the split Tories?
Things may become clearer when the results of today's election are in. Or not.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Lance Dopestrong

Is Baronet Moseley dead? I grant you, he's a bit middle if the road, but otherwise he fits the bill.

Failing that, Jamie Oliver is looking for work. He's young, eager, and his business acumen will stand him in good stead when getting our economy back on track. Ok, a bit over qualified perhaps, but surely worth considering?

Or maybe Chris Grayling. A high achiever with a rampant track record of unprecedented success in whatever field of endeavour he opens his door into.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Boris is apparently popular with Tory voters, but those who know him, who have worked with him are not very keen.
But perhaps they will see him as someone who can pull together the party at large.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nah Mrs May should get some plastic surgery and come as May Tse-tung with her little blue book
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote:Boris is apparently popular with Tory voters, but those who know him, who have worked with him are not very keen.
But perhaps they will see him as someone who can pull together the party at large.

I think it's important to distinguish between members of the Conservative Party who will elect the new leader but are restricted by the choices on the ballot, and the wider electorate who will decide the next GE. I think Johnson is very popular with Tory party members, but less of a shoo-in with that broader electorate.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Does it actually matter who is the Tory leader?

It matters nowt to me.
They're all the same, have been, and always will be.
Mick F. Cornwall