dozey pedestrians

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Yossarian

Re: dozey pedestrians

Post by Yossarian »

Joggers with earphones blaring are definitely the worst, they can be completely oblivious even if you're sat behind them loudly ringing the bell and you just have to wait for a wide spot to pass...can sometimes enjoy the view though.

Every cyclist should have a bell though, I have been left raging a couple of times with lycra yobs pushing past me (on my bike) on a single track path without a word or a bell.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Does the 10 commandments for drivers help?

You shall not kill.
The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.
Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.
Cars [bicycles in this case] shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.
Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.
Support the families of accident victims.
Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
Feel responsible towards others.

Relevant ones emboldened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Comma ... or_Drivers
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
PH wrote:A lot? How many do you think that is? Maybe about the same proportion as it is with motorists? Hardly surprising, we're all the same, the whole idea that cyclists are some separate group from the rest of society is part of the problem whether they're seen that way be those who cycle or those who don't.

Yes but, those entitled cyclists complain when drivers expect them to defer, to get out of the way, and hoot and close pass if they don't.

I'm sure some do, which demonstrates the point that we're all just people.

That is a platitude with which I could not disagree.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If one used a very loud sudden noise it might cause someone to panic and spontaneously resort to violence
Anything Could Happen then :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote: It’s easy enough to adjust how you use it, ie the quieter ‘horn’ mode as a start, at a reasonable distance, then wait for any response, then the horn at a bit closer range. Then if that has no effect, the full blast shrill at closer range. I’ve yet to encounter it not having the desired effect.

All time that could be spent paying attention to your riding, or pulling over and waiting a moment, or anything except diverting your attention for the act of safely piloting a bike.

If some chump in a car did that to me I'd be baying for their metaphorical blood, and I fail to see how cyclists treating pedestrians in the manner is any different.

Oh deary me. :roll:
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If one used a very loud sudden noise it might cause someone to panic and spontaneously resort to violence

They’re more likely to jump out of the way. Which is the idea.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Oh deary me. :roll:

Tut tut.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:If one used a very loud sudden noise it might cause someone to panic and spontaneously resort to violence

They’re more likely to jump out of the way. Which is the idea.

Or straight into your path
John