Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by PDQ Mobile »

And I think the Tory leader will remain the same.
His name is Rupert Murdoch.

Only the figurehead is about to be swapped.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Boris is apparently popular with Tory voters, but those who know him, who have worked with him are not very keen.
But perhaps they will see him as someone who can pull together the party at large.

I think it's important to distinguish between members of the Conservative Party who will elect the new leader but are restricted by the choices on the ballot, and the wider electorate who will decide the next GE. I think Johnson is very popular with Tory party members, but less of a shoo-in with that broader electorate.

Indeed, but perhaps those who choose who goes on the ballot will hold their noses because of Blondie's popularity with the members. They will be feeling the pressure of those members' desire for him and also wanting to attract the Brexit voters back.
I see PDQ still sees the Dirty Digger as the power he once was here. Hasn't he handed over to the next generation of Murdochs who are busy in the U.S.A.?
Edited to add the commonplace that social media are more influential than newspapers these days, and so those manipulators infiltrating FB etc. are leaving Rupe behind.
How about Steve Bannon as the sinister puppetmaster, via Farridge? But we are discussing the Tory puppet.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 23 May 2019, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mike Sales wrote: because of Blondie's popularity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGxiSV ... gs=pl%2Cwn
.......... and when we talk, it feels like Paradise ..............
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote:
Mike Sales wrote: because of Blondie's popularity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGxiSV ... gs=pl%2Cwn
.......... and when we talk, it feels like Paradise ..............

Not Heart of Glass but heart of stone - the Tories - but for anyone who hasn't heard this (it was used in an episode of The Handmaid's Tale)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOJ8IlbdBQ

(Sorry, off-topic, but a bit mind-blowing)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent.
Thank you.
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote:Excellent.
Thank you.

Like you I don't have a TV so I've never seen The Handmaid's Tale but it gave me chills when I heard the track on the radio.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off topic.
We're still getting threatening letters because we're continuing to ignore their threatening letters.
Such fun. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mike Sales wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Boris is apparently popular with Tory voters, but those who know him, who have worked with him are not very keen.
But perhaps they will see him as someone who can pull together the party at large.

I think it's important to distinguish between members of the Conservative Party who will elect the new leader but are restricted by the choices on the ballot, and the wider electorate who will decide the next GE. I think Johnson is very popular with Tory party members, but less of a shoo-in with that broader electorate.

I see PDQ still sees the Dirty Digger as the power he once was here. Hasn't he handed over to the next generation of Murdochs who are busy in the U.S.A.?
Edited to add the commonplace that social media are more influential than newspapers these days, and so those manipulators infiltrating FB etc. are leaving Rupe behind.
How about Steve Bannon as the sinister puppetmaster, via Farridge? But we are discussing the Tory puppet.

I am sure you are right( no pun intended).
The broader point was merely what you appear to already know.
And I am glad about that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's an understandable assumption here that the change is imminent but how will it be triggered?

AIUI, there's no recent precedent for HM to take the initiative and to send for the replacement. While TM cannot get Brexit through, she can rustle up a parliamentary majority in a confidence motion because nobody dares to risk a GE and let in JC.

I'm not talking about party leadership, of course, so it's theoretically possible that the Tories will elect a new party leader but TM wouldn't advise HM to offer them the chance to form a government. And if she did, the arithmetic might be no different, particularly on anything involving Brexit.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote:[Boris]But perhaps they will see him as someone who can pull together the party at large.

Which is probably why the problems facing the UK will get no better because still the Conservatives are thinking only of "Party" rather than country (which is also rather badly split).

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So Mexit will be announced today, it appears.

Will this be the best and only deal? The one wot the people voted for? Will Mexit really mean Mexit.
John
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Well, if we end up with Mexit I insist upon a confirmatory vote.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Well, if we end up with Mexit I insist upon a confirmatory vote.

no need for that as there is concensus in parliament :lol:

Mexit means Mexit to quote a famous politician
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

That seems to be the problem unfortunately,the party is 'at large' when it should locked up in one of the mental institutions it's allowed the private sector to treat people like animals in for so long :twisted:
Or is it itself one of those institutions? :?

I think the term that best describes the Tory party is 'not fit for purpose' indeed if it were a consumable you'd take it back and demand a refund :wink:

As for a leader you'd have to say BoJo the clown fits the bill nicely,mad as box of frogs himself,in charge of another larger box which he'd be intent on taking the lid off just to see how far they'll jump.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 May 2019, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Doomed! We're all doomed!!

Cugel Frazer
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes