Fred Whitton

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
alexnharvey

Re: Fred Whitton

Post by alexnharvey »

Is that a road closure notice? It looks like a facebook post to me.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/youtube]

This is a road closure notice.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/announcements/public_notices/notice/98859.THE_COUNTY_OF_CUMBRIA__U4059__U5032_AND_U5527_HARDKNOTT_PASS_AND_WRYNOSE_PASS___FRED_WHITTON_CYCLE_SPORTIVE___TEMPORARY_PROHIBITION_OF_MOTOR_VEHICLES__ORDER_2019/

I suppose if you don't see the difference between a facebook post and a traffic order my previous attempt at using a joke to make my point was probably entirely wasted on you. :( Anyone can post any nonsense they like on facebook but that does not make it so, does it?

Do you recall my question in post two?

alexnharvey wrote:Avoiding the question of whether or not it's a good idea, is it legal, do they have the authority to prevent anyone walking or cycling up the road or is it only closed to motor vehicles. Similarly, if roads are closed for the marathon or other running event, do people who have not entered running or walking on the route commit any offence?

edited

I wonder if they will have police there to prevent people cycling up. Presumably as raised in the facebbok comments if you insist on riding up it there's little another person can do without assaulting you unless they can lawfully exercise force. It does seem excessive that it is closed to all other cyclists for 8.5 hours. Surely the bulk of FW'ers are cycling up it within a few hours.

They had no authority to the close the road to other cyclists and they either didn't understand that or were overstating things in the hope of dissuading other cyclists, no doubt with the best of intentions.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 24 May 2019, 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

alexnharvey wrote:... my previous attempt at using a joke to make my point ...

Dull as it is, sometimes clarity is the best policy!
PH

Post by PH »

100%JR wrote:Do you mean this actual text on the official Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge Facebook page?

Will you just stop with the nastiness?
Alex said
There was no such ban according to the details of the road closure notice

I've provided you with a link to that notice and he is obviously 100% correct. Not only does it specify that it only applies to motor vehicles it also specifically makes provision for pedestrians and cyclist to have a way through at all time.
He has rather humorously made the point that what you read on facebook might not be the whole story. Doesn't really matter what the official FW facebook page says, the road closure notice is the the place for the facts.
Last edited by PH on 24 May 2019, 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

alexnharvey wrote:Is that a road closure notice?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/youtube]

No, this is a road closure notice.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/announcements/public_notices/notice/98859.THE_COUNTY_OF_CUMBRIA__U4059__U5032_AND_U5527_HARDKNOTT_PASS_AND_WRYNOSE_PASS___FRED_WHITTON_CYCLE_SPORTIVE___TEMPORARY_PROHIBITION_OF_MOTOR_VEHICLES__ORDER_2019/

I suppose if you don't see the difference between a facebook post and a traffic order my previous attempt at using a joke to make my point was probably entirely wasted on you. :(

You're right it was wasted as:-
1. I don't live on a street :lol:
2. I took it you were trying to be a smart ****

As the post was on the official event account I(probably like the other 181 people who commented on it) presumed that the organiser would have consulted with the CC/Police before posting.Obviously they did not(or so it appears) but have not removed the post nor posted an apology for posting misleading info.
As I was not riding in the event I took it on face value and didn't bother looking into it deeper.
Last edited by 100%JR on 24 May 2019, 12:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PH wrote:
100%JR wrote:Do you mean this actual text on the official Saddleback Fred Whitton Challenge Facebook page?

Will you just stop with the nastiness?
Alex said
There was no such ban according to the details of the road closure notice

I've provided you with a link to that notice and he is obviously 100% correct. Not only does it specify that it only applies to motor vehicles it also specifically makes provision for pedestrians and cyclist to have a way through at all time.
He has rather humorously made the point that what you read on facebook might not be the whole story. Doesn't really matter what the official FW facebook page says, the road closure notice is the the place for the facts.

Oh dear.
"Nastiness"?
Really?
Are you one of those members constantly reporting post for "alleged" breaches of Forum rules :roll:
Nastiness :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I think we were possibly escalating towards it. Certainly there was indignance and smartassery.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Has the road been re-opened now?

:?