Dented frame repair

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Dented frame repair

Post by PH »

That looks an ideal place for a coloured band, if you put another the equal distance from the BB everyone (Except us) is going to think they're there by intention.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Matt (rather than gloss) sticker; the reflection is more obvious than the dent
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
David9694

Post by David9694 »

On the photo, five of my thousand words are “where exactly is the dent?” What I can see is a stone chip that wants some touch-up on it. You might want to see if a paint matching place can help with this.

I think you’ve done well to get it this far, be wary now of making it worse rather than better.

If you do start messing with two-pack paint, make sure you’re aware of the hazards.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

That adds character! Honestly. I wouldn’t spend more than a tenner fixing that.

Your bicycle will develop other signs of use with use, too. Pointless to pretend it isn’t used.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

You could try a brass instrument repairer. They get lots of practice at getting dents out of tubing, and should have specialized tools.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It's only minor - heating the bb etc to replace the seat tube will likely cause more serious damage to the frame
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Such embellishments are part of the customisation process. Repair the paintwork and admire the new 'feature'.
horizon

Post by horizon »

fossala: can you post a picture to show us the dent, not the "before" picture you posted. :lol:

Frankly, if I had done just 200k this would have been a fine battle scar. But having said that, I do sympathise.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I think you have done a great job in removing the majority of the dent, what tubing it it? Try and retouch the paint and ignore it. I know it will annoy you every time you polish up the bike, but I barely notice the problem in your photograph.

If that was my bike the paint would have flaked off massively to reveal lots of white undercoat. You have got a tough paint job there, much better than the Roberts I had resprayed a few years ago.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I want to say, the original dent was a lot bigger and deeper.

Anyway, I've emailed Reynolds and they're sending me a 631 decal for free to slap on. I'll see if I can forget it. Out of sight, out of mind...
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Honourable battlescar.
Wear with pride.