Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

To which I would have replied, "yes, because there was always some scruffy enlisted PEON like you to bull them for him."
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:It was simply a impossible task. Divided nation can't come together whilst the process of acting on the referendum is in process IMHO. We need closure of the process before healing can happen.

I was on holiday and away from sources of news up in Scotland. Last day I checked Google news. I was surprised to see may as leader. First off I thought tory leadership process would drag on. Second May had a decent rep as a kind of supporting bureaucrat type of politician. Not the vain and arrogant leader you'd expect.

Thirdly it was always going to be a poisoned chalice using the role on at that time. I thought she'd let other politician take it on then step up as a safe pair of hands after we had officially left the EU........

I think they are all too power hungry, all have too big egos to let an opportunity for power pass. Like all those seeking the post now. It's still that "poisoned chalice" and they all be better off long term to pass on this opportunity and go for it next time, but they can't see the bigger picture, can't pass an opportunity for power, to be "big white chief".

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:To which I would have replied, "yes, because there was always some scruffy enlisted PEON like you to bull them for him."

I met a good few German WW2 veterans (including some who were prisoners of the Soviets); they were almost universally unhappy and a little ashamed of their war service.

Those that had been in Soviet POW camps were disgruntled about the length of time they were held, though l believe, proportionately, we held German POW longer, probably in better conditions though.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Having read the BBC's current list of possible candidates, I'm drawn to the conclusion that they might be best giving TM another go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48395611
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:Having read the BBC's current list of possible candidates, I'm drawn to the conclusion that they might be best giving TM another go.

There's still time for her to throw her hat into the ring.

She has reminded the nation of her achievements (Grenfell, refugee children, etc)... well, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:Having read the BBC's current list of possible candidates, I'm drawn to the conclusion that they might be best giving TM another go.

:D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

Quite!
I looked at the list and shuddered :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 May 2019, 10:21am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The Guardian almost agrees

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Looking at that lot, I'm glad I'm over here and they're over there.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:Looking at that lot, I'm glad I'm over here and they're over there.

I wish I was with you! :)
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Quite!
Though I looked at the list and shuddered :?

Would any of them be worse than Piffle Johnson?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The fall of May will please many with Remain sympathies but it will please the No Deal hardliners even more. There is a real possibility that we will be having a PM determined to take us over that edge, and I wonder if some who take a softer line will end up wishing they had backed May when they had the chance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ben@Forest wrote:Those that had been in Soviet POW camps were disgruntled about the length of time they were held, though l believe, proportionately, we held German POW longer, probably in better conditions though.
Many of the German POWs remained here after the war. Very good friend of ours is the son of one.

My uncle was a POW in Germany captured in Greece, and I'd like to bet that none of them stayed in Germany after the war.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:The fall of May will please many with Remain sympathies but it will please the No Deal hardliners even more. There is a real possibility that we will be having a PM determined to take us over that edge, and I wonder if some who take a softer line will end up wishing they had backed May when they had the chance.

Yes, even within the party it's a deeply undemocratic process, with the membership only given a choice of two candidates*. It's entirely possible that they'll both come from the same wing of the party and the membership will effectively have no choice.

* If they're lucky, it's often decided behind closed doors before it goes to the membership.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
pwa wrote:The fall of May will please many with Remain sympathies but it will please the No Deal hardliners even more. There is a real possibility that we will be having a PM determined to take us over that edge, and I wonder if some who take a softer line will end up wishing they had backed May when they had the chance.

Yes, even within the party it's a deeply undemocratic process, with the membership only given a choice of two candidates*. It's entirely possible that they'll both come from the same wing of the party and the membership will effectively have no choice.

* If they're lucky, it's often decided behind closed doors before it goes to the membership.

With the country having even less choice who the next PM will be!
And all the while those who voted for brexit keep complaining about the EU's lack of democracy :roll:
W H Auden