Windcheetahs

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Windcheetahs

Post by belgiangoth »

Windcheetahs are lovely - but no longer in production and there is a real derth of information about them online. I'm surprised that some basic stuff - such as how to correctly size them for a rider - has not survived; or some sort of production order so that you have a clear idea of what you are buying.
e.g. someone is selling this on the 'bay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/recumbent-tr ... ctupt=true

Great job of taking lots of pictures, but without some basic information who's going to trek to Lowestoft?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
pjclinch

Re: Windcheetahs

Post by pjclinch »

belgiangoth wrote:Windcheetahs are lovely - but <snip>

Great job of taking lots of pictures, but without some basic information who's going to trek to Lowestoft?

people who aren't that far from Lowestoft, I guess?

I've had a go on two and they were in traditional army sizes: too big and too small, and as noted there isn't much adjustment so I guess you bought them in the right size. But if I was within 100 miles of it I'd be tempted to go and have a look, and that's a fair swathe of country.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hercule

Post by hercule »

I saw that one; no idea about production serial numbers but it looks to me like it has 17” wheels so is one of the early ones. That looks to me like the Wolber tyre Moulton fitted to his early AM bikes (I know, ‘cos I’ve got one!); AM allowed Mike Burrows to use them, I don’t think any other machine used that size of tyre. So that means it’s an early Mike Burrows built one, but I’ve no idea about dates!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

pjclinch wrote:But if I was within 100 miles of it I'd be tempted to go and have a look, and that's a fair swathe of country.

That part of the country has no roads or trains. Even if I could drive there at 50mph I wouldn't spend 4 hours of my life on the off chance the bike fits.

hercule wrote: So that means it’s an early Mike Burrows built one, but I’ve no idea about dates!

But, does that mean it's a better bike or a first design concept model? If this were a Moulton we'd know what size shoes the guy who brazed it wore!

Still no-one seems to know how to size these things, other than to say that there's not much room for error!
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Hidden in all of this is one of the gems of eBay... someone selling something they don't really know about, they might be asking a totally ridiculous price, or it might be a bargain. A bit of expert knowledge and willingness to travel might snag you a bargain.

There was a very nice ICE trike for sale near me, BIN price was very good, they were a long way away from major population centres, I thought I was on a dead cert. Sadly someone bagged it whilst I was prevaricating. :roll:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I drove 700 miles to pick up a broken canoe the other week, sight unseen. Admittedly it was free, but it could have been fit only for firewood. Sometimes one takes a chance.

The renovation's coming along nicely :D
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Bonefishblues wrote:I drove 700 miles to pick up a broken canoe the other week, sight unseen. Admittedly it was free, but it could have been fit only for firewood. Sometimes one takes a chance.

Lapstrake?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

firedfromthecircus wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I drove 700 miles to pick up a broken canoe the other week, sight unseen. Admittedly it was free, but it could have been fit only for firewood. Sometimes one takes a chance.

Lapstrake?

Yep :)
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Bonefishblues wrote:
firedfromthecircus wrote:

Lapstrake?

Yep :)

Nice.
It was local to me but I didn't think I could do it justice. I hope you can, and post about it in that other place. :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Repaired by a professional, painted, starting to rub down the wood, so well on its way I'd say :)
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

How do you adjust them?
The boom looks to be one piece non adjustable.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

nigelnightmare wrote:How do you adjust them?

You can't - they were designed for the customer.

There is a little adjustment by sliding the seat, but unless the machine is a close fit, you will not manage to make it fit
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Cunobelin wrote:

There is a little adjustment by sliding the seat, but unless the machine is a close fit, you will not manage to make it fit

Oh poop!

Thanks.

I'll have to keep looking then, but I'm not holding my breath.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

nigelnightmare wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Oh poop!

Thanks.

I'll have to keep looking then, but I'm not holding my breath.

On a Windcheetah, there is quite a lot of holding your breath!