Advice For Buying A Cycle Cam

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dim

Re: Advice For Buying A Cycle Cam

Post by dim »

thirdcrank wrote:" ... another must have (IMHO) is the Garmin Varia Radar . ...."

I had to look that up. I'm speechless.
================================================================
PS For anybody else as out-of-touch as I am it "Alerts You to Vehicles Approaching from Behind"

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518151

funny that you say that .... even on the last Audax that I rode, I was the only person with a radar unit ... not many people know of these :D

trust me ... it's really good .... it connects to my Edge 1000 .... when a car approaches and is approx 200 meters behind me, it beeps loudly through the Garmin Edge 1000 speaker ....

on my Edge unit, a red dot appears on the bottom right corner of the screen .... as the car approaches, the dot moves up the screen. When the car is alongside me, the dot is on the top of the screen .... if there are 3 cars, there are 3 dots ... etc etc

Takes a lot of stress out of cycling, especially on roads you don't know ... (and for hybrid cars that you cannot hear) .... I suppose that a mirror will also suffice, but as I said, it's one of the best gadgets for cycling that I have bought...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Back to the OP, the mounting position of a camera will inevitably affect the evidence you gather. I suppose mounting one on your bonce isn't quite so easy without a helmet. If you do have a head/helmet-mounted one which will normally record what you are looking at, then remember that identification of vehicle and driver are important. So, try to get a shot of the vehicle's reg plate and the driver's mush. I presume you could do that with a camera mounted somewhere on the bike but you would have to be a bit more deliberate. A sound recording would be good if it included any comments from the driver, but beware to guard your own tongue. mjr mentioned looking round. I vaguely remember a thread going back years when somebody - edinburgh fixed(?) - posted a vid for comment and the question of looking round (possibly not looking round) led to comments.

Vid footage can cut both ways.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

If you mount on the bike, you need to think about vibration affecting the camera.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

st599_uk wrote:If you mount on the bike, you need to think about vibration affecting the camera.

Not an issue IME, I mount to carbon flat bar and never had any vibration problems whatsoever. You're going to lose more in terms of head movement being all over the place not to mention all the issues with mounting a camera on your head in the first place.

I would say it's a bit of a toss up between getting one for the rear or the front but I would personally mount on bars all the time for a front.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The utility cyclist wrote:
st599_uk wrote:If you mount on the bike, you need to think about vibration affecting the camera.

Not an issue IME, I mount to carbon flat bar and never had any vibration problems whatsoever. You're going to lose more in terms of head movement being all over the place not to mention all the issues with mounting a camera on your head in the first place.

I would say it's a bit of a toss up between getting one for the rear or the front but I would personally mount on bars all the time for a front.
I get completely unusable footage on some surfaces. Depends on the mount and the camera, really.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

st599_uk wrote:

I get completely unusable footage on some surfaces. Depends on the mount and the camera, really.

Even the cheapest of the cheap get image stabilisation these days, and I'm talking sub £15 jobs.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

st599_uk wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Not an issue IME, I mount to carbon flat bar and never had any vibration problems whatsoever. You're going to lose more in terms of head movement being all over the place not to mention all the issues with mounting a camera on your head in the first place.

Even the cheapest of the cheap get image stabilisation these days, and I'm talking sub £15 jobs.
Mine doesn't. For true image stabilization you need a 6 axis gyro and no rolling shutter. For an algorithmic stabilization, you also need the movement to be multiple frames long for sampling, so it doesn't deal well with road vibration. It softens the image via interpolation - an affect similar to post edit reencodes.
A novice learning...
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Even the cheapest of the cheap get image stabilisation these days, and I'm talking sub £15 jobs

Do you have any links? I'd be interested to see what the specs are, cheaper cameras tend to sacrifice image resolution for image stabilisation
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Road Cycling Serbia

Post by Road Cycling Serbia »

I use Gopro 6 with Garmin 130 in combination.
You may see example of video on link below. Video look much bether on my PC, YT compress file with some bad codec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvcvDsHj60Y&t=380s
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

The utility cyclist wrote:Not an issue IME...

Same here -- not an issue. My cheapo cams don't have any clever "image stabilisation", but the images are decent enough. There's no obvious vibration issues when riding on tarmac.
Road Cycling Serbia

Post by Road Cycling Serbia »

I put my camera directly on bike and i never had problem with vibration.

Poslato sa VTR-L29 pomoću Tapatoka