Flu

Carpediem

Re: Flu

Post by Carpediem »

To say 'could lead to a possible heart attack sounds dramatic ,but I've had it on good authority that it can and does happen,especially to older folks with underlying conditions.
I still haven't properly recovered from a very bad flu infection in January which led to bronchitis,my breathing now whilst out on the bike is still not as good as is was prior to my flu/bronchitis illness.
My GP thinks i may have some permanent slight lung damage,thoughXrays have come back clear.
The only times I struggle are on short very steep hills where I'm literally wanting to stop and walk which pride stops me from doing,but then I'm gasping for breath at the top ,this never happened before my illness,and it's quite worrying TBH.
On the plus side my breathing does return to normal fairly quickly,like within a minute,and I can continue my ride,albeit at a slightly slower pace.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I meant that when you have a cold and are young and fit and exercise at a high level you can simply drop dead froma heart attck, less exersion can damage the heart. Though more probable with a viral infection, if you can tell at the time?
Its well documented.
I tend to think I get over a cold before returning to exercise, been admitted once from a racing heart bought on by dehydration result of a probable virus.

Keep safe and well.

https://healthfully.com/296730-bronchia ... ising.html
https://clicks.co.za/health/article-vie ... oken-heart
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:H
I tend to think I get over a cold before returning to exercise, been admitted once from a racing heart bought on by dehydration result of a probable virus.

Keep safe and well.

Many thanks. Never had anything quite as intense, so will definately be taking today, maybe tomorrow off. May have a day sunbathing instead!

(NB. Prior to the normal 1.5Hr's down the gym, 1Hr swim and then bike starting off again!)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I have been ill with the flu for five days now and off my bike, I am noticing already my knees are going stiff and my calf muscles are cramping. I don't ride far when on the bike but I am out most days.
The stiffness and cramps could be the virus? how does your time off the bike effect you if it does at all
Pat

Pat: any chance of saying why you think it's "flu"? When you Google for flu symptoms, the results are very vague. Does anyone else know?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Flu you will be lucky to get it twice before you die.

I think I had it once, felt terrible (post slenectomy, bad news, high risk of death so my gp said) rode half way to wok on motor bike turned around went to bed for three days!

My GP and they will all say, If you have flu and there is a fifty pound note on your lawn you wont get out of bed or even want to tell another to get it.

If you are not in bed and you are unsure I doubt its flu.

Only time I have not been able or wanting to get out of bed is, when I was paralytic from drinking over half a bottle of liquor, thought I had flu, waking up in hospital after a ruptured spleen........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: there is a fifty pound note on your lawn you wont get out of bed or even want to tell another to get it..

That'd be me last week!

I was fairly vague about what day it was at the start of the week and didn't have the energy while in bed to check the time (NB.Had a vague understanding it must be night or day, but that was about it for three days!). Still don't feel right, but fantastic compared with this time last week :wink:

I'll be on my summer bike tomorrow (NB. Maybe for a 4-5 miles ride :roll: )
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

horizon wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:I have been ill with the flu for five days now and off my bike, I am noticing already my knees are going stiff and my calf muscles are cramping. I don't ride far when on the bike but I am out most days.
The stiffness and cramps could be the virus? how does your time off the bike effect you if it does at all
Pat

Pat: any chance of saying why you think it's "flu"? When you Google for flu symptoms, the results are very vague. Does anyone else know?

I am a full time carer and have nurses coming here everyday, the head district nurse diagnosed me, they are very good looking after me as well as the person I care for, after all if i go down then who looks after the person i care for?
I will say being on the bike keeps me fit to do what i do as a carer or it would be very hard physically.
bye
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Ah, good luck. I'm a carer for my Wife who is disabled, so I get the flu jab for free each year. Touch wood I've not had Flu since 2012, but that doesn't stop me getting some nasty colds that can be almost as debilitating.

I'm with you in that keeping fit helps to keep the immune system thrumming along and operating at greater efficiency than be an idle lard-O. Fingers crossed that you manage to shake it off quickly.

What worries me a bit is that I have to lift Mrs Dopestrong. I'm 10 years older than her, so consequently suffer the effects of ageing more than her, but I have 3 or 4 good weigh-workouts a week, keeps me buff, strong, reduces the likelihood of musculo-skeletal injury, and greatly reduces the chances of osteoporosis getting me. being ill is no fun anyway, but when someone else is relying on you it pays to play every card in the deck.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

I've had the flu (the incapacitating type) roughly once every two years for the past ten years. I've also been taking the flu jab in all that time and have come to the conclusion that it's pretty ineffective.

I find the best way to avoid any infection is to limit your exposure to germs in the winter by A. Avoiding touching surfaces (Open doors with your elbow, or back of hand) B. No hand shaking (the Catholic Church has all but banned this at the end of its services) . C. Keeping as much as possible your fingers away from your eyes (the fastest transmission route for the virus). D Regular hand washing, and E Wearing gloves when coming into regular contact with the general public.

Although this might seem extreme, I only do it in the flu months Dec-Feb. I've not had the flu or any cold of note since 2017. Prevention is the only option, as there is no known cure!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shaking hands is customary but a few (sadly not many at all) medical organisations ban it
I do not touch the door handles etc in trains or money, always wear gloves
Worst 'flu' I had was after visiting the doc for a medical ('fit & strong'), must have caught it in the waiting room
Slept beautifully most of the time for a couple of days, minusplus
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies