** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

Oldjohnw wrote:
windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.

Does anyone know what this actually means?

I've highlighted the important bits.

(It's a religious thing.)
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.

I'm not exactly sure myself it was taken from a quote by that staunch remainer Emma Thompson
mjr

Post by mjr »

windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do.

Democracy would be great. Let's try it on this issue. A third referendum now that Leave means Lies have had a chance to demonstrate their tune-changing and incompetence?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mjr wrote:
windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do.

Democracy would be great. Let's try it on this issue. A third referendum now that Leave means Lies have had a chance to demonstrate their tune-changing and incompetence?

Ive read what you posted 79 times and it still makes no sense. So my best guess is that you disagree with me yeah?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Windmiller's posts are just boring, florid, overblown, cliché ridden bad English. They read like the comments of someone who thinks that the sort of commentators who write for the likes of the Daily Mail make powerful arguments in their articles, and who attempt (badly) to copy that style because they erroneously think it makes their comments compelling.

As George Orwell advised:

If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself. Political language — and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists — is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one's own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase — some jackboot, Achilles’ heel, hotbed, melting pot, acid test, veritable inferno, or other lump of verbal refuse — into the dustbin where it belongs.

If you have something interesting or insightful to say, it's best to say it as simply as you can, so that others can understand it readily. If what you have to say proves not to be interesting or insightful when reduced to simple English, then it's best you say nothing.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

I'm not exactly sure myself it was taken from a quote by that staunch remainer Emma Thompson

This struck me as obviously false, and so it is.

You paraphrased an actual quote: "a tiny little cloud-bolted, rainy corner of sort-of Europe, a cake-filled misery-laden grey old island", and added the rest yourself.

To avoid misleading, it's conventional to use quotation marks around quotes, or the quote tool above. Making up extra bits stops it being a quotation. Providing a link makes the context clear too:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/shortc ... r-cakehole

You may wish to reflect on
What a splendid turn of phrase she has. How neatly that captures the British spirit of tender self-deprecation.

Hope that helps.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

slowster wrote:If you have something interesting or insightful to say, it's best to say it as simply as you can, so that others can understand it readily. If what you have to say proves not to be interesting or insightful when reduced to simple English, then it's best you say nothing.

Cugel please take note... Remember Donald Rumsfeld who got the Foot in Mouth Award :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

slowster wrote:Windmiller's posts are just boring, florid, overblown, cliché ridden bad English. They read like the comments of someone who thinks that the sort of commentators who write for the likes of the Daily Mail make powerful arguments in their articles, and who attempt (badly) to copy that style because they erroneously think it makes their comments compelling.

As George Orwell advised:

If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself. Political language — and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists — is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one's own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase — some jackboot, Achilles’ heel, hotbed, melting pot, acid test, veritable inferno, or other lump of verbal refuse — into the dustbin where it belongs.

If you have something interesting or insightful to say, it's best to say it as simply as you can, so that others can understand it readily. If what you have to say proves not to be interesting or insightful when reduced to simple English, then it's best you say nothing.

Extracted a pint of forum blood out of you though. I would much prefer if you were more authentic in your insults rather than quoting blindly at length from the given quotation, I don't like the Daily Mail either, I will do my best to type more like a well trained Guardian reader for you because that wouldn't be boring at all for you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Incidentally, the faux outrage from the Captain Mainwaring types responding to Emma Thompson would be hilarious were they not in positions of power.

Britishness, being like life,

...far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it.*

I would like to propose that a select committee on un-British activities is instituted to root out such tendencies, and I nominate Julian Clary as chair.

* Wilde, likewise, subject to much faux outrage. We can only hope that our current penchant for the same does not engender a similarly tragic, or even much worse, outcome.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:Farage's crew admit to having only one policy. Given that some are from the far right and at least one is a communist, developing other policies might prove difficult..

Not an issue for them. They'll just declare they are not part of the establishment, proclaim how they are being smeared and discriminated against and through all that just not tell anybody what they intend to do. Then should they get elected they'd just do a Trump ...

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Based on last nights results, I guess that:

REMAIN MEANS REMAIN
John
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Oldjohnw wrote:Based on last nights results, I guess that:

REMAIN MEANS REMAIN

Well so far it has
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Emma Thompson is the Joan of Arc of remainerhood
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:
Mick F wrote:Back to the Scotland thing and the weather ..................

What about the midges Mick?
For the six years 1974 to 1980 we lived in Rosyth married quarters, we had never heard of the midges. We'd holidayed in Scotland, been camping north south east and west, we used to go regularly to Glen Coe camping at Red Squirrel Camp Site.

Both of us are Lancastrians and were Strangers in a Strange Land.

It took us until 1983 when we bought our house in Alexandria (next to Balloch) and our front windows faced north and we could see Ben Lomond across Loch Lomond. We were only a mile from the Loch.

We climbed Ben Lomond, and that's when we first discovered the Scottish Midges.
Mick F. Cornwall
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

This struck me as obviously false, and so it is.

You paraphrased an actual quote: "a tiny little cloud-bolted, rainy corner of sort-of Europe, a cake-filled misery-laden grey old island", and added the rest yourself.

To avoid misleading, it's conventional to use quotation marks around quotes, or the quote tool above. Making up extra bits stops it being a quotation. Providing a link makes the context clear too:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/shortc ... r-cakehole

You may wish to reflect on
What a splendid turn of phrase she has. How neatly that captures the British spirit of tender self-deprecation.

Hope that helps.

Well spotted there by the Superintendent of the quotation Police. Not sure what your point really was - apart from dissing Emma Thompson, is that a hate crime now?