** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Oldjohnw »

windmiller wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
windmiller wrote:
I'm not exactly sure myself it was taken from a quote by that staunch remainer Emma Thompson

This struck me as obviously false, and so it is.

You paraphrased an actual quote: "a tiny little cloud-bolted, rainy corner of sort-of Europe, a cake-filled misery-laden grey old island", and added the rest yourself.

To avoid misleading, it's conventional to use quotation marks around quotes, or the quote tool above. Making up extra bits stops it being a quotation. Providing a link makes the context clear too:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/shortc ... r-cakehole

You may wish to reflect on
What a splendid turn of phrase she has. How neatly that captures the British spirit of tender self-deprecation.

Hope that helps.

Well spotted there by the Superintendent of the quotation Police. Not sure what your point really was - apart from dissing Emma Thompson, is that a hate crime now?

It shows a complete lack of understanding of how to handle quotations.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:Well spotted there by the Superintendent of the quotation Police. Not sure what your point really was - apart from dissing Emma Thompson, is that a hate crime now?

Just trying to help you from inadvertently misleading others windy.

No need to get so tetchy.

It's not like you do it deliberately.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I'm sorry John and Roub, I won't do it again today. Is it ok if I go and get my supper now?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:I'm sorry John and Roub, I won't do it again today. Is it ok if I go and get my supper now?

So pleased to have been of assistance. You're most welcome.

Be sure to eat your greens with supper. I recommend Brussels.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:Based on last nights results, I guess that:

REMAIN MEANS REMAIN

I've not paid much attention to the results but from the news graphics summarising the results I get the impression that the Brexit Party has just taken the previous vote %age that UKIP previously had (a few %higher).

C4's summary was 6m people voted for "no deal" parties and 9m votes for explicitly opposed to "no deal" parties. So (subject to C4's "rounding") seems a pretty clear result to me. So it will be interesting to watch how the Conservative leadership contenders represent that result.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like we may be at the end of an era where the torys and labour passing power back and fro may be over

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/05/b ... ning_Blend
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Care to explain who the "far left" are?
IMO anyone can be termed "far left" if viewed from the far right.

Corbyn and his Shadow Chancellor, Denis Skinner, and all those shadowy folk who mysteriously appeared in droves from the shadows as supporters of the Labour Party forming Militant. Some of them were active in the 70s and early 80s and some never belonged to a political party at all. Labour has many really good caring moderate MPs who risk deselection from these people who are numerous. Be very afraid...

Al

You paint a very bleak picture,and understandably so,but don't forgot how the Tories have made people very afraid too.
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 May 2019, 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Well, look on the bright side. If it goes to a general election we could have Prime Minister Farage, then we'll all have something to complain about! :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Well, look on the bright side. If it goes to a general election we could have Prime Minister Farage, then we'll all have something to complain about! :lol:

Claire Fox at the Treasury, Ann Widdecombe at the Home Office and Annunziata Rees-Mogg at the Foreign Office. The first meeting of the cabinet will end in fisticuffs.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:Well, look on the bright side. If it goes to a general election we could have Prime Minister Farage, then we'll all have something to complain about! :lol:

Claire Fox at the Treasury, Ann Widdecombe at the Home Office and Annunziata Rees-Mogg at the Foreign Office. The first meeting of the cabinet will end in fisticuffs.

nah by then the army would have been called in?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
sjs wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I left school in 1968 they were still a Secondary Modern then. Was sometime in the 70s when things changed

I left in '69, and went to the local grammar. Secondary moderns definitely still existed in our area for a number of years after that. And in those places where grammar schools still exist then so do secondary moderns, whatever they are called.

One of my nephews passed the 11+ and attends the Grammar School I left fifty years ago. The other did not and is at a school called High.

I didn't know they still had Grammar's in Fenland - thought they were over the border in Lincolnshire. Of course you may have moved since you were at school..
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:I didn't know they still had Grammar's in Fenland - thought they were over the border in Lincolnshire. Of course you may have moved since you were at school..

Your idea of Fenland must differ from mine. Holland Parts of Lincolnshire is as flat as you like, albeit silt fen mainly, not peat.
My school was Spalding Grammar.
We called our climbing club, Spalding based, "Fenland Mountaineering Club", which led to some jokes.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:

Corbyn and his Shadow Chancellor, Denis Skinner, and [...]

:roll: Skinner is not Corbyn's Shadow Chancellor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mjr wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Corbyn and his Shadow Chancellor, Denis Skinner, and [...]

:roll: Skinner is not Corbyn's Shadow Chancellor.

I don't think Al meant that. It's a list.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The wonderfully named "Pidley-cum Fenton" has had a Mountain Rescue Team for many years.

They so a lot of charity work Pidley Mountain Rescue