Council's cycling champion disappointed by irresponsible cyclists

atoz

Council's cycling champion disappointed by irresponsible cyclists

Post by atoz »

Hi all

Just spotted this gem:

https://road.cc/content/news/261283-new-cycleway-opens-yorkshire-councils-cycling-championdisappointed-irresponsible

Comments on this site from cyclists are to the effect that this isn't exactly a stellar example of cycle way design Apparently the councillor concerned works for First Bus, when he is not being a councillor. Also, the other point made is that
Criticism of riders choosing not to use infrastructure may reflect misconceptions of laws applying to cyclists

Horror of horrors, a cyclist actually using a road, eh..next they'll be wanting to take their bikes on trains...lol
thirdcrank

Re: Council's cycling champion disappointed by irresponsible cyclists

Post by thirdcrank »

I fear Cllr Taj Salam cannot see the wood for the trees. Here are the comments of a Bradford driving instructor from a link in a recent thread I started about Bradford:-
Perwaiz Rajput, who has been a driving instructor in the city for almost 20 years, said he had noticed standards dropping.
"It's gone from being safe and OK to a very dangerous situation in many areas of Bradford," he said.
"People do not care how they drive or what they do, especially at peak times and around busy junctions.
"I get out the house and I pray that I'm going to get back alive."
(My emphasis.)

I cannot believe that Mr Rajput feels his life is threatened by cyclists, on or off the farcilities in Bradford.
viewtopic.php?p=1335137#p1335137
9494arnold

Re: Council's cycling champion disappointed by irresponsible cyclists

Post by 9494arnold »

We have to be very wary of certain cycle initiatives. I do recall going to a Public Meeting in Birmingham a few years ago where much was promised but the (not very well) hidden agenda seemed to be getting cyclists off the road which is something we have to be constantly vigilant of.
By all means promote recreational cycling on discrete cycle ways and safe routes for families and younger cyclists but accept that Cyclists have a perfect right to be on the road.

I'd suggest a Driving Instructor and Bus company employee would be a very tired driver holding down 2 jobs plus being a Council Spokesman and his own danger on the road and obliged not to comment due to an obvious conflict of interest.

Not too impressed with his Highway Code Knowledge either :
t is legal to ride two abreast on a road.

In other words, cyclists are perfectly entitled to cycle side by side on most roads in the UK.

The benefit for cyclists is increased visibility and the length of the obstruction for a driver is shortened when passing large groups.

However, Rule 66 of the Highway Code says you should never ride more than two abreast.
It also says you should ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

Cyclists need to factor in the road conditions and should go into single file when necessary.

And drivers should be aware that cyclists can legally ride two abreast.

When approaching large groups of cyclists, give them time, space and be observant when overtaking. They may have to move out into the carriageway quickly to avoid a pothole. Give them the space when overtaking that you would a car.

If a group of cyclists are holding up the traffic, they should consider moving into single file, to let the cars pass, this helps to keep the traffic flowing.

There are reasons cycling two abreast is safer for both cyclists and drivers
1. It's safer

Cyclists are more visible in this way. And it means drivers have to give them more room to overtake - rather than overtake in the same lane.

2. Drivers can overtake quicker

A driver can overtake a group of cyclists quicker if they are riding side by side than if they are riding single file.

I suppose the poor overworked gent is thinking
Life would be must simpler if he didn't have to avoid cyclists and make my charges also avoid them whilst I am tutoring them . :shock: :?