Pint pot price poser

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Pint pot price poser

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
pete75 wrote:Newcastle Brown - don't you mean Zoeterwoude Brown? It's now brewed at Zoeterwoude in the Netherlands :roll:

I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me. Another favourite from my student days was Younger's No 3 but that was dropped years ago AIUI. Successive governments have faffed about with legislation trying to reduce the power of the breweries etc but the big money just reorganises.

No 3 - I sorely miss that - one of the best dark beers in my opinion. Whitelocks in Leeds served a good pint of it.

Perhaps another reminder of your student days - a pic of the Leeds University Students' Union Bar in the 1960s, which IIRC was reputed to be the longest in the country (if not the Universe, or perhaps Leeds.)
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:
pete75 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me. Another favourite from my student days was Younger's No 3 but that was dropped years ago AIUI. Successive governments have faffed about with legislation trying to reduce the power of the breweries etc but the big money just reorganises.

No 3 - I sorely miss that - one of the best dark beers in my opinion. Whitelocks in Leeds served a good pint of it.

Perhaps another reminder of your student days - a pic of the Leeds University Students' Union Bar in the 1960s, which IIRC was reputed to be the longest in the country (if not the Universe, or perhaps Leeds.)
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Thanks for that.
A bit before my time but recognisable. A lot more hand pumps in my day and the Watneys red barrel had gone. I alos heard tell it was the longest bar in the country.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:Newcastle Brown - don't you mean Zoeterwoude Brown? It's now brewed at Zoeterwoude in the Netherlands :roll:

Or now even White Plains Brown as they've also started brewing it in the US this year, though the news story said it had be "reimagined" for the American market :roll: I doubt the folks of Newcastle realised it had ever been imagined in the first place.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I brew my own, Scruttocks Olde Shagnasty bitter, .50 Caliber Irish stout, and Olde Speckled Skinhead pilsner. Costs 30-35p a pint, and it's much better than anything a pub will sell me.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had an Old Speckled Hen glass until yesterday evening.
I'd filled the washing-up bowl with hot water and a squirt of washing-up liquid and lowered my glass into it. Nothing else in the bowl.

It shattered the instant it was immersed. :cry:
IMG_0267.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Here you are Mick if you want a replacement

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0

Through the teeth round the gums lookout stomach here it comes!

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were given mine from the Crossed Rifles in Bridgwater. Looks like we need a trip up there! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F won't pay for one!
I've got a few of the older Abbot ale ones from wetherspoons!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've got my own favourite "Pot"

"Trooper" from the Robinsons Brewery in Stockport.
IMG_1090.JPG

on the reverse is an inscription
IMG_1091.JPG

Onward onward
rode the 600...
The Charge of the Light Brigade, which inspired the Iron Maiden song "The Trooper", took place at the battle of Balaclava 1854 During the Crimean war when 600 British cavalry courageously charged the massed Russian artillery. This brilliant but foolhardy assault resulted in a massive loss of life and came about due to a misunderstanding of an order given by the commanding officer, Lord Raglan.

just a few miles from home is a cemetery in Hale. on the side of the Chapel is a plaque commemorating a Private Palin.
John Palin.JPG
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ferrit worrier wrote:I've got my own favourite "Pot" ...

Assuming that's a pint-to-the-rim type of glass, and assuming that's how it was served, that illustrates my point near the start of the thread about how much you get in a pint. The shape of the glass exaggerates the amount of froth.

Purely on the weights and measures rather than anyone's taste in beer, I'll mention that Theakston's (Masham) have or had pint glasses with a stem, rather like a wine glass. I see from their online shop that it looks as though they have gone over to the same shape as in fw's pic.
peetee

Post by peetee »

About 6 years ago I had the misfortune to have to order a round of soft drinks from a perfectly ordinary pub. 5 regular orange juice and lemonade (obligatory 60% ice content) were a whisker under £20.
I haven't set foot in a pub since.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

peetee wrote:About 6 years ago I had the misfortune to have to order a round of soft drinks from a perfectly ordinary pub. 5 regular orange juice and lemonade (obligatory 60% ice content) were a whisker under £20.
I haven't set foot in a pub since.

Get yourself to a spoons, and ask for less or even no ice.
Apologies if covered upthread, but whatever happpened to oversize g!asses with a line?
They existed for a while, seemed to be an excellent idea for both parties, would save me asking for top ups.
Have stopped going to the rather well known supposed temple of real ale, the New Inn Clitheroe.
God fed up with the spectacular sloshing pouring technique of the bar staff. If you ask for a top up and question the a amount of froth decoration you are likely to be told that the customers like it that way. Would rather pedal or bus it to a spoons. Far superior beer pouring and staff attitude.

Edit on pricing: very nice strong porter at spoons skipton the other day. £1.99
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Went to Weymouth at Easter, took the bikes and stopped in Abbotsbury on a ride, 2 pints of cider was £9.10 in the Ilchester arms. Went to Wetherspoons The Swan in Weymouth on the evening, 2 pints of strongbow £4.98!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote:Went to Weymouth at Easter, took the bikes and stopped in Abbotsbury on a ride, 2 pints of cider was £9.10 in the Ilchester arms. Went to Wetherspoons The Swan in Weymouth on the evening, 2 pints of strongbow £4.98!!

Strongbow is pretty terrible stuff though isn't it?

Am sure spoons would have sold you a better beer experience and quite possibly for less. The "branded" stuff tends to cost more than the often numerous guest ales. Always puzzled me why the brand tarts go for the stuff they do, but suppose they are subsidising me, so all is well.

(and the forum prude editor continues to amaze me)
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

They had Thatchers as well but I prefer Strongbow, it's not that bad.