Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Cunobelin »

CRiticising the overbearing Brexit propaganda on Trip Advisor was effective n toning it down locally
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The Goldengrove, Stratford.

At the end of a recent very good CTC ride round interesting bits of Essex, went there with the leader, and the pub, beer and company were much appreciated.

Link for pics (particularly outdoor area) here.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -stratford

Large nice outdoor area freely accessible from the street.

Lots of cycle lanes nearby, several Sheffield stands right outside the pub (shown in one of the pics and as we walked in another cyclist locked up and walked straight in) if you choose not to keep the bikes alongside you in the yard. More sheffield stands very close by in another cluster.

My companion/esteemed CTC leader appreciated the good beer, prices, and a certain lack of the "liberal elite" which had dropped into the conversation on a bit of the ride.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hey Sweep 'irc' is reporting daily on his LeJoG elsewhere on these fora, he visits several spoons each day :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hey Sweep 'irc' is reporting daily on his LeJoG elsewhere on these fora, he visits several spoons each day :wink:

Please provide a link.

I have done two in a day - allowing a breakfast at one and another breakfast as lunch by arriving at the second before noon.

I have a long ride coming up and the cycle routeplanner has conspired to take me right past the front door of two so I may be able to do another double. Though I do have a timed train to catch so will have to be careful.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Easy to find in LeJoG section, near the top because it is active
Cannae post a link from my smartphone, sorry
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Newbury &
Henley

both have rear access to courtyard/garden, so you can park your bike away from the street and keep an eye on it.

(both are the usual dark dungeon inside, but it doesn't seem to put the punters off!)
whoof

Post by whoof »

I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:Newbury &
Henley

both have rear access to courtyard/garden, so you can park your bike away from the street and keep an eye on it.

(both are the usual dark dungeon inside, but it doesn't seem to put the punters off!)

Thanks for the tips.

In fairness far from all are dark dungeons, for spoons of course use a vast array of building types. My local spoons is an old cinema and the light floods in. The one in new malden, an old police station of all things, has been converted so that one area in particular has lots of natural light. If dungeons are your thing though I think they have preserved at least one of the holding cells.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

Did you ask whether you could do this?

If so, how did they react?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick

Looks like a wonderful building and a nice (if damp) outdoor area.
A Raleigh chopper?
If so what was all that about?
Do you have a pic?
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sweep wrote:
whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

If I'm with someone else I go to the bar and ask whilst the other person looks after the bikes. I've done this at a couple, Great Malvern comes to mind and it's been fine. As I was my own I just picked up the bike and walked in, stood inside the door looking toward the bar and I was hoping to catch the barman's eye as he was serving to ask. He did look up briefly but went back to pouring his pint and said nothing so I continued through to the garden. No comments by staff when carrying the bike in either direction.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/goldengrove-stratford
[...] several Sheffield stands right outside the pub (shown in one of the pics and as we walked in another cyclist locked up and walked straight in) if you choose not to keep the bikes alongside you in the yard. More sheffield stands very close by in another cluster.

Only one Sheffield stand shown in the pic or on Street View. It's a Sheffield Extra, but even so, in London, own parking would be needed to be cycle-friendly IMO.

Sweep wrote:My companion/esteemed CTC leader appreciated the good beer, prices, and a certain lack of the "liberal elite" which had dropped into the conversation on a bit of the ride.

Now who's implying that Wetherspoons is a place where the illiberal can go to be illiberal? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I can assure you there was more than one sheffield stand immediately outside, though the pic does make it look otherwise.

Why on earth would I say there were several if in fact there weren't?

As I said us two locked up and I also mentioned at least one other person.

Might be an idea to get away from the digital world, ease up on the keyboard warrioring, pedal off for a laid back social drink in the offline world.

Note to self - i really must start taking pics again and then posting some on here - will try to in future though must admit am often too ready to chill.

Can assure you that I am liberal.

I fear you misunderstand the term liberal elite.

I know nothing about the political opinions of the many many other folk (it was very busy) in the place at the time, nor nothing about their sexual tastes for that matter. I wouldn't be so presumptious.

You should have made us a threesome to discuss the term over a drink.

Cheers.
Last edited by Sweep on 30 May 2019, 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:
Sweep wrote:

If I'm with someone else I go to the bar and ask whilst the other person looks after the bikes. I've done this at a couple, Great Malvern comes to mind and it's been fine. As I was my own I just picked up the bike and walked in, stood inside the door looking toward the bar and I was hoping to catch the barman's eye as he was serving to ask. He did look up briefly but went back to pouring his pint and said nothing so I continued through to the garden. No comments by staff when carrying the bike in either direction.

Sounds like the typical easy going attitude of spoons, for of course they get all sorts in.

Encourages me to try with others, for of course the pic of the outside of that pub makes it look less than handy for bikes.

That to me is the very definition of cycle friendly - i think i mentioned upthread a great pub in deptford south london that is very much liked by cyclists for although they have no cycle facilities at all of their own they have always been happy to allow us to carry bikes through the bar to their rear yard. On the other side, I know a very nice pub in the Blackheath area with a very nice garden which won't let you carry a bike through the very spacious bar with wooden floors. So I rarely go. Very cycle unfriendly. I don't feel comfortable with my bike outside that place. Out of sight. And sod all to lock to anyway.
Sweep