Go Outdoors promo for helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
atoz

Go Outdoors promo for helmets

Post by atoz »

Hi all

The following blurb I've seen in Go Outdoors shop as part of a promo board but is also on the website:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/cycling-helmets

Nothing new in that you might say- but what drew my attention was this bit of text
The extra security also gives you the peace of mind to go that little bit faster and have even more fun!

So it would appear, you can go faster if you wear a helnet- allegedly. Given what we know about the limitations of cycle helmet design, this is not a claim I'd be tempted to put to the test- lol.
Mike Sales

Re: Go Outdoors promo for helmets

Post by Mike Sales »

They clearly understand risk compensation.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The rascals should be had-up for encouraging death-inviting behaviours!

Funnily enough, although I rarely wear a helmet (perhaps in the woods on the gruesome gravel tracks) I found I went downhill on the roads somewhat faster than most in the cycling club, all of whom wore helmets habitually. I believe this is because someone who is aware of the dangers of fast downhilling to the bare head takes care to develop the skill to do so well, whereas the helmet wearer never bothers, being under the delusion that no matter what happens, the helmer will "save my life".

Yet another counter-intuitive effect of the damnable polystyrene bonnet perhaps?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel over-thinking again? :wink:
A h****t is heavy of course so it increases speeds downhill, ye cannae change the laws of physics/gravity
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies