BIG AGNES Copper Spur HV UL2 - Any Opinions?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
yutkoxpo

Re: BIG AGNES Copper Spur HV UL2 - Any Opinions?

Post by yutkoxpo »

pjclinch wrote:If you run a Superlite Voyager you already manage with weaker poles than a Hille and a much thinner groundsheet.

I don't. I have an Exped Orion and a Hexpeak 4A. Previously I had a Coleman Coastline, now gone to a good home.

Pete, as I said, I respect the depth and breadth of you knowledge when it comes to tents, but
pjclinch wrote:There are many excellent reasons not to buy a Hilleberg, but being scared you'd damage an expensive thing doesn't strike me as one of the better ones!

Misrepresenting me and passing judgement on my motivations for buying or not buying a tent is, frankly, insulting.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Psamathe wrote:Eventually went for the new MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Shield.

Enjoy your tour! Don't know about the French part, but I loved my stretch along the Danube.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Eventually went for the new MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Shield.

Enjoy your tour! Don't know about the French part, but I loved my stretch along the Danube.

I've had never ending things delaying my departure (beyond my control, like "wading through treacle" trying to get things sorted with Mum's hospital consultant). I'm thinking I might have left it too late to head out that way as if I did I'd want to get to the Black Sea and then things could get a bit late into autumn getting back to UK (bad weather). I don't do massive distances but could push myself a bit, a lot depending on hills (from living in Flatlandia).

I was planning to head to Nantes then onto EV6. I've not looked at e.g. heading SE from Caen to join EV6 e.g. south of Paris.

Thanks
Ian
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Psamathe wrote:I've had never ending things delaying my departure (beyond my control, like "wading through treacle" trying to get things sorted with Mum's hospital consultant). I'm thinking I might have left it too late to head out that way as if I did I'd want to get to the Black Sea and then things could get a bit late into autumn getting back to UK (bad weather). I don't do massive distances but could push myself a bit, a lot depending on hills (from living in Flatlandia).

I was planning to head to Nantes then onto EV6. I've not looked at e.g. heading SE from Caen to join EV6 e.g. south of Paris.

Thanks
Ian

Sometimes just heading off and following your nose is the best way. :)
If you don't know it https://www.biroto.eu/en/find-cycle-rou ... urs-on-map is a handy tool to see routes and how they connect with each other.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I've had never ending things delaying my departure (beyond my control, like "wading through treacle" trying to get things sorted with Mum's hospital consultant). I'm thinking I might have left it too late to head out that way as if I did I'd want to get to the Black Sea and then things could get a bit late into autumn getting back to UK (bad weather). I don't do massive distances but could push myself a bit, a lot depending on hills (from living in Flatlandia).

Thanks
Ian

Sometimes just heading off and following your nose is the best way. :)

I agree. It's what I did last year. In some ways I'd like to go via Le Mans (visit a friend from the days I lived round there) and call-in to Vienna (to visit a friend a travelled with for a bit in South America). I do find planning in the evening for the next day works well when you don't have to get home by any deadline (I did the same travelling (not cycling) round Peru & Bolivia this winter).

But, I do winder that if I want to get to the Black Sea I'll have to head and push a bit. Maybe investigate early turn back routes further north.

Ian
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Psamathe wrote:Sometimes just heading off and following your nose is the best way. :)

I agree. It's what I did last year. In some ways I'd like to go via Le Mans (visit a friend from the days I lived round there) and call-in to Vienna (to visit a friend a travelled with for a bit in South America). I do find planning in the evening for the next day works well when you don't have to get home by any deadline (I did the same travelling (not cycling) round Peru & Bolivia this winter).

But, I do winder that if I want to get to the Black Sea I'll have to head and push a bit. Maybe investigate early turn back routes further north.

Ian[/quote]

Vienna on a warm summer's evening is quite simply a joy to behold. I arrived in a foul humour after misreading a map, couldn't find my hotel and was starving. The city charmed me in about 15 minutes. Mind you, I read a Journal on CGOAB and he hated Vienna with a passion! It was like we were in 2 different cities!

If you do want to get to the Black Sea you can always bus or train it and cycle back? Maybe not in one go, but in stages?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Have a great trip Ian, sounds like you've got some good adventure ahead of you.

I've ridden few bits of EV6, from Besançon to Stein-am-Rhein and Passau to Vienna. The Danube section was lovely, particularly the Wachau around Melk and Krems. You might even arrive at the perfect time for the apricot harvest. We stayed at a lovely campsite in Krems with a pitch underneath an apricot tree: the owner said we were welcome to eat any windfall... made a delicious breakfast the next day.

Do keep us up to date with how you're getting on!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bohrsatom wrote:Have a great trip Ian, sounds like you've got some good adventure ahead of you.

I've ridden few bits of EV6, from Besançon to Stein-am-Rhein and Passau to Vienna. The Danube section was lovely, particularly the Wachau around Melk and Krems. You might even arrive at the perfect time for the apricot harvest. We stayed at a lovely campsite in Krems with a pitch underneath an apricot tree: the owner said we were welcome to eat any windfall... made a delicious breakfast the next day.

Do keep us up to date with how you're getting on!

I adore apricots!

Thanks
Ian
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

PT1029 wrote:Looking at the link, Big Anges pitch inner tent first - so it will get wet when pitching in heavy (or less?) rain.
As I don't live in Arizona, I always go for pitch outer first in case of wet weather. (Hilliberg is outer first, or both together if you keep them hooked together when packed in your pannier). I have yet to try putting up/taking down the Hilliberg with the inner/outer hooked together, so don't know how dry the inner stays (or not) when the outer is wet. I pack the inner and outer in separate water proof bags, so the inner stays dry when packed in the same pannier as a wet outer.
I like the cyclist shorter poles idea.
A quick search for the MSR tent suggests it too is pitched outer first.
The MSR floor is 213cm long, the Big Agnes is 224cm long - how tall are you? Both look as though the lower section of inner is pretty much vertical, so the effective length shouldn't be reduced by a low sloping roof. (My Saunders Spacer Packer Plus was long enough as measured, but a low sloping roof above my head and toes effectively reduced this measurement).

MSR tents can be pitched fly first!
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote:Many thanks all. Last night I decided on the Hilliberg, but by morning I'd changed my mind ... going round in circles.

Eventually went for the new MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Shield. All the "justifications" I concocted for spending twice the amount on the Hilliberg were valid but were "concocted" and didn't really justify the cost. But also outlining the issues I was trying to address from the old tent did bring home to me how difficult things could get if this year's weather was not as dry, hot and sunny as I got last year. Hence my decision to go with something new (having has several very long telephone conversations with UtraLightOutdoorGear over the last month or two).

So thanks to everybody for their input.

Ian

Darn- too late from me - I’ve got the hubba hubba nx and also the copper spur single and prefer the copper spur esp the bikepacking version but I’m sure you’ll find either useful.

Have a fab trip- EV6 in sections is next on my list I think.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
MSR tents can be pitched fly first!

"Up to a point, Lord Copper"

Yes, they can, but it's a bit of a contrivance and if you don't have a footprint or some other way of keeping the pole set square then it's even more of a contrivance.

I've done it once with our Hubba Hubba, just to prove it could be done, and I'd have to be in a very serious downpour to consider bothering again.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...