Tandem rides for visually impaired

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Tandem rides for visually impaired

Post by John Holiday »

A charity in Chester ,who support those with visual impairment, has been trying to arrange tandem rides.
This morning I was able to take a lady with limited sight for a ride along the River Dee on some of the local Sustrans network. She hadn't been on a bike for nearly thirty years,let alone on the back of a tandem!
She thoroughly enjoyed the ride & is keen to repeat.
If you have access to a tandem,why not try contacting a similar local group & see whether they have people who would enjoy trying cycling?
Charlotte's Tandems are a charity which loan tandems to those in need of cycles.
RickH

Re: Tandem rides for visually impaired

Post by RickH »

Was that Vision Support or another organisation?

Gary Morgan, the charity's Community Engagement Coordinator, has managed to get several sight impaired folk cycling regularly on the back of a tandem in conjunction with Charlotte's Tandems.

If there is anyone reading this in the Chester & North East Wales area who would like to help there is a tandem taster session being planned. I don't know the details yet. If you're interested watch this space or PM me. We did one last year which paired up several people.

If you live in the Rhyl /Prestatyn area and want to help there are a couple of people Gary is wanting to pair up with tandem pilots.

Thanks for reading.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Yes,it was through Gary at Vision Support.
I asked a friend in Prestatyn if he might assist, but unfortunately already fully committed elsewhere.
Am sure riders would enjoy helping less able potential riders& experience on tandems not essential.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Is there any sort of central register available to people in other areas?
rjb

Post by rjb »

We were overtaken by a tandem today in North Curry on the somerset levels. They had somerset sight tops on. It could well have been this pair. They were "Flying" along.
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk ... set-sight/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
merrymac

CHESTER Tandem rides for visually impaired

Post by merrymac »

Hi John

Thanks for the plug for Charlottes Tandems ( C T ). I'm the Helper for C T in your area and have 13 tandems and tagalongs available FREE of charge to borrow. Look on www.charlottestandems.co.uk
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

by Bonefishblues » 1 Jun 2019, 2:56pm

Is there any sort of central register available to people in other areas?

Hi Bone fish
Yes there is. Charlottes Tandems set up a facebook group to match tandem-stokers with pilots. See
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1656859641194681/

Hope this helps
Brian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thanks!

By coincidence, I've just been servicing the tandem :)
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Thanks for the update merrimac.
I already have a tandem, but occasionally need another & happy to recommend Charlotte's Tandems.
hondated

Post by hondated »

John Holiday wrote:A charity in Chester ,who support those with visual impairment, has been trying to arrange tandem rides.
This morning I was able to take a lady with limited sight for a ride along the River Dee on some of the local Sustrans network. She hadn't been on a bike for nearly thirty years,let alone on the back of a tandem!
She thoroughly enjoyed the ride & is keen to repeat.
If you have access to a tandem,why not try contacting a similar local group & see whether they have people who would enjoy trying cycling?
Charlotte's Tandems are a charity which loan tandems to those in need of cycles.

If you do a search on here I remember them posting for people to store a tandem in particular locations for people to be able to access them when required.