Mavis's Land's End to John O'Groats (Garmin help please?)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Velosaurus

Mavis's Land's End to John O'Groats (Garmin help please?)

Post by Velosaurus »

Thought this might be of interest and a call for help please?

Started on Friday 24th May alongside her friend Heather Curley, at 81 years of age Mavis is setting out to be the oldest women ever to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats. They are currently near Bodmin today. Please do say hi if you see them

They have a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/maviscycle/ They have sponsorship from Team Ineos and there is also a cool video message from Wout Pouls, Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome which is nice of them to do!

There are currently experiencing major Garmin issues. If there is anyone local or passing who could help it would be much appreciated?

cheers Andy
robgul

Re: Mavis's Land's End to John O'Groats (Garmin help please?)

Post by robgul »

Sorry to disappoint but at least one female older than 81 has ridden the ride - the details are somewhere in one of the journals at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk (and IIRC the male record is about 95)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
whoof

Post by whoof »

Velosaurus wrote:Thought this might be of interest and a call for help please?

Started on Friday 24th May alongside her friend Heather Curley, at 81 years of age Mavis is setting out to be the oldest women ever to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats. They are currently near Bodmin today. Please do say hi if you see them

They have a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/maviscycle/ They have sponsorship from Team Ineos and there is also a cool video message from Wout Pouls, Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome which is nice of them to do!

There are currently experiencing major Garmin issues. If there is anyone local or passing who could help it would be much appreciated?

cheers Andy

Can you be more specific about what the problem is?
RickH

Post by RickH »

robgul wrote:Sorry to disappoint but at least one female older than 81 has ridden the ride - the details are somewhere in one of the journals at http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk (and IIRC the male record is about 95)

Rob

There's a difference between doing the ride & doing the ride as well as fulfilling the verification criteria.

If I were just to head off down to LE & cycled to JOG in 36 hours (as if) I would not be the RRA record holder. Someone could do it slower after me & get the record because their effort ticks all the boxes required.

I believe Mark Beaumont got an addition Guiness record as part of his round the world in less than 80 days. I think it was most miles ridden in a month (or something like that). Mark himself acknowledged that there were almost certainly folk who had done more but none had got it verified officially, for whatever reason.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Velosaurus

Post by Velosaurus »

whoof wrote:

cheers Andy

Thanks Whoof, I'm not there with them, just helping from afar. Mavis is a new Garmin user and using an Edge Explore, with assistance from her ride partner Heather. I am not familiar with the device, i use a Dakota and an 810 (for many years bikepacking off road) Problems have been

1. Device using power too quickly
I have talked through switching on auto pause, switching backlight from on permanantly to "on prompt" for 15 seconds. Also switching off bluetooth but not sure if I got that right. Any other big battery killers?

2. Navigation issues due to the device re-routing them from the course created in Garmin connect. I have recommended they switch off auto - recalculation and just use the course line and little location arrow, and if off course just turn towards the course line until on course again. I had an edge touring many years ago and found the auto course recalculation terrible! The recalculation also roasts the battery.

3. They also had to replace the device today as something went wrong when recharging the device from a power bank, but not got to the bottom of that yet!

Any thing else Im missing? Cheers!
Velosaurus

Post by Velosaurus »

Rick and Rob, thanks, thats good stuff. Im not involved in the Guiness requirements side of it, but suspect you are both correct as its due to verification requirements!
At the moment Im trying not to distract from the Garmin issues which is getting tthem really stressed!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Velosaurus wrote:
whoof wrote:

cheers Andy

Thanks Whoof, I'm not there with them, just helping from afar. Mavis is a new Garmin user and using an Edge Explore, with assistance from her ride partner Heather. I am not familiar with the device, i use a Dakota and an 810 (for many years bikepacking off road) Problems have been

1. Device using power too quickly
I have talked through switching on auto pause, switching backlight from on permanantly to "on prompt" for 15 seconds. Also switching off bluetooth but not sure if I got that right. Any other big battery killers?

2. Navigation issues due to the device re-routing them from the course created in Garmin connect. I have recommended they switch off auto - recalculation and just use the course line and little location arrow, and if off course just turn towards the course line until on course again. I had an edge touring many years ago and found the auto course recalculation terrible! The recalculation also roasts the battery.

3. They also had to replace the device today as something went wrong when recharging the device from a power bank, but not got to the bottom of that yet!

Any thing else Im missing? Cheers!

I have a different Garmin model so can't but now that you have spelt out the problem someone else might be able to help.
Velosaurus

Post by Velosaurus »

Thanks Whoof, you prompted me to describe the issue which is always the first step :D
Why are Garmins always such a pain!!
heatherf

Post by heatherf »

Mavis and heather here. We got a new Garmin and it’s working fine for now. Yes understand may be others older than Mavis but didn’t meet the criteria. It’s very strict. If our new Garmin fry’s then we won’t be accepted for it without a digital recoding of our rides. Mavis did coast to coast Canada in 2008 at 70 but didn’t apply for the record however a woman got it this year at 69.hopefully our Garmin will hold up.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Just seen an interview with Mavis on BBC Breakfast. They are almost there, starting from Thurso this morning with 20 miles to go.

Donations now at £45000 and climbing all the time + £10,000 given by Team Ineos. Good Luck and well done.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mavis-paterson1
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com