2019 Giro -spoilers if you didn't see yesterday's coverage-

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

2019 Giro -spoilers if you didn't see yesterday's coverage-

Post by Brucey »

I've been watching (mainly the highlights on Quest) and it has been a pretty good edition of the Giro.

Yesterday's stage was the last for the sprinters, and those sprinters remaining in the race have all had to work hard over the mountains just to get this last chance for glory. Imagine their disappointment when the break (comprising three nobodies more or less) stayed away!

The lad that won hadn't (in two years as a pro) ever placed higher than ninety-something-th before. With the bunch bearing down on the break at speed, it was a tactical toss-up as to what the best approach would be. If the riders in the break just look at one another and no-one leads out, they'd be caught for sure, the bunch was that close. However if you lead out even slightly early, you are likely to be passed by someone coming off your wheel; a real bottle/judgement job.

In the end one of the three started to sprint 'early' (*) and then the chap on his wheel started to come round him. In the meantime the third lad at the back started his sprint and (having kept his powder dry as it were) went past both of them. Somehow he managed to hold off the best sprinters in the main field and won by less than a bike length.

(*) The other two from the breakaway were overtaken by the sprinters in the main bunch but were still well placed on the stage; it was that close.... :shock:

Sprinter and current German champion Ackermann was beating his handlebars with his fists in complete frustration; another five metres and he'd have won.

So yesterday morning Damiano Cima, and his team 'Vini Fantini' were virtual unknowns; now they are front page news in Italy and known the world over!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Re: 2019 Giro -spoilers if you didn't see yesterday's coverage-

Post by mjr »

Ackerman almost beat the neighbouring Emirates rider in his frustration, too!

However, he was somewhat happier when he realised that his rival for the points competition (points are won mostly for finishing positions, partly for mid-stage sprints) finished in 8th (visible in the mauve jersey just behind Ackerman in the German national champion colours), so he overtakes him in the ranking and gets to wear the mauve jersey of competition leader tomorrow. With two hilly stages and a time trial left, it probably means that he's won it and gets to take part in the final podium ceremonies, as long as he gets to the finish.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sometimes the impossible happens.
I watched it and was very happy for Damiano Cima,2 years a pro,with no wins,then he doesn't lose his nerve in the finale and wins a stage in the Giro.
I'll bet he hasn't come down yet :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, it was a very exciting finish!

Highlight of the 2019 Giro for me.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yesterday's stage had a climb to the finish and Chaves looked very determined with countless attacks until the opposition cracked and allowed him to escape for well-deserved win.

However I felt very sorry for Vendrame; almost the sole Italian rider left in the breakaway, looking strong, and he dropped his chain off the chainring. A bike change meant he lost contact with the front of the race. He wasn't happy with his replacement bike either and fell back quite dramatically for a second time before making a mighty struggle to regain contact by which time Chaves had well and truly flown the coop. Vendrame caught, passed, and put time into everyone else bar Chaves and finished second on the stage, about 23 seconds down. His bike problems cost him at least 30s, I'd have said, more if you allow for him not having a wheel to follow any more; another chap who was pummelling the handlebars in frustration as he crossed the finish line. I dunno if he would have beaten Chaves on the day but we were deprived of a real race for the stage win.

Vendrame was using Di2 gears (I am pretty sure) and whilst it isn't clear that they were responsible for the chain being dropped it occurs to me that front shifts are essentially an analogue process which in Di2 is under digital control. Modern FDs are very clever but I don't remember ever riding a bike in which the front shift didn't require (or benefit from) some overshifting/persuasion at times. If I've lost the chain off the chainrings I have often been able to pick it up again by using the FD, provided I have full (analogue) control over it. I don't think Di2 allows the rider to do that kind of thing which means that if it doesn't work right in the heat of competition then you are pretty screwed. The other thing that occurs to me is that they appeared to be suffering the usual 'compact double problem' which is that there is a repeated/ clumsy double shift required if the gradient on the climb yo-yos enough; this climb was being tackled mostly on the big ring but parts of it were steep enough to require the small chainring. Given that they can (fairly easily) meet the UCI weight limit these days it does make you wonder why they don't fit a different inner chainring or even why they don't have a triple up front; climbs like that one could be (safely) tackled mostly in the middle ring.

Saturday's stage has much more climbing and with a 17km TT to come on sunday potentially anything could happen. Realistically Yates is too far behind now but any of the top seven could still win it if they get enough time on Saturdays stage. If the time gaps stay roughly as they are then the winner will most likely come from the top three, given recent TT performances, but you never know.....

Saturday's stage will be interesting because all the climbers will attack; it is their last chance to do so. Movistar will have to defend (having two riders in the top four); will they let the likes of Majka, Mollema, and Lopez (any of who might have podium ambitions at least) get away so as to defuse Nibali and Roglic? We shall see!

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yesterday's stage could have been an epic and for some riders it was. However in terms of the GC it made only small differences; Movistar's two-headed defence turned into a two-headed attack which meant that Roglic -clearly weaker than at the start of the Giro- lost time and was knocked off third spot, which means that today's short time trial will probably confirm the first position but there may be a few swapsies lower down the order; Roglic for example will be keen to get his third spot back again, but more major upsets seem unlikely; the TT just isn't long enough.

When Lopez was seen in an incident, the commentators assumed it was (yet another) mechnical problem, of which he has had several already. However this time it was a spectator of the 'running numpty' variety who collided with Lopez, who hit the deck. Instead of remounting swiftly (maybe he couldn't because his bike was damaged?) he decided to waste time playing 'handbags at five paces' with said numpty. Understandable, but worse than pointless; he was lucky to escape without penalty, and lucky not to lose more time to his competitors for the white jersey. He was doubly frustrated because his team had planned an escape for him, and it was his 'helper' who was strong enough to later take the stage win....

TT highlights later on!

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Pity that yates is not in the mix.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Landha practically gifted the stage to Bilbao,going wide on the final bend :? ,and not for the first time in a sprint finish either.
He doesn't seem to learn how the shut the door on the following rider :roll:

Lopez is the luckiest man alive not to get thrown off the race,but no penalty for thumping a specy whilst Roglic only gets a fine for accepting extended pushing from two spectators.The UCI have been very lenient IMHO :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Pity that yates is not in the mix.

He's not been strong enough from day one.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:Lopez is the luckiest man alive not to get thrown off the race,but no penalty for thumping a specy whilst Roglic only gets a fine for accepting extended pushing from two spectators.The UCI have been very lenient IMHO :?

They *were* both lucky to get off so cheaply, but I feel the outcome was just, on balance. (Arguably Roglic should have made some effort to dissuade the spectator, but maybe he had no energy spare, we don't know). I'm sure others will want to condemn Lopez to a lifetime ban or similar, but I'm on his side with this one.

Pretty exciting race overall! I really wish I had access to better coverage - the Quest team make Boulting/Boardman/Millar look very very good.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It certainly was an exciting race.
The UCI rules are clear on thumping spectators and pushing but weren't implemented.
I take your point on Roglic's energy levels,he was clearly on the limit and perhaps that's why his time wasn't docked.
As for Lopez sorry but there's no excuses for his behaviour,as Brian Smith said on Eurosport coverage there were children watching and seeing that kind of reaction,it isn't acceptable on worldwide TV,it isn't good for the sport and isn't a way to react against a fool.
Taking it a step further how would Lopez have gone on if the spectator had reacted and given as good as he got?
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
IIRC Lopez was careful to use his hand not his fist.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Did he?
The final blow which knocked off the spectators cap was a slap,the blows prior to that I'm not so sure,but that's besides the point,he launched flurry of intended blows on a spectator.
In short he lost it.
The UCI rules are clear on such an attack and weren't implemented.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:

Did he?
The final blow which knocked off the spectators cap was a slap,the blows prior to that I'm not so sure,but that's besides the point,he launched flurry of intended blows on a spectator.
In short he lost it.

Do the Italians have a Gallic Shrug equivalent?

Road cycling has a proud history of rule-bending and interesting "interpretations"; given the uncontrolled environment, with its many variables, I think this is entirely sensible.

RE: the facts of the situation. The Moto footage that I presume most of us have seen did not cleary show all the blows. It looked to me like he threw several "climbers' " punches (i.e. unlikely to harm a small mammal), and that used up his tiny reserve of energy and adrenaline; a little sanity returned, he realised where he was; but still angry, he slapped the guy's cap off.

Back to opinion: I never liked john Prescott much, but I would happily defend his reaction when Joe Public assaulted him. If you poke dogs with sticks they will sometimes bite you - that doesn't make the dog a bad dog, and the bitee usually deserves it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Did he?
In short he lost it.

Do the Italians have a Gallic Shrug equivalent?

Road cycling has a proud history of rule-bending and interesting "interpretations"; given the uncontrolled environment, with its many variables, I think this is entirely sensible.

RE: the facts of the situation. The Moto footage that I presume most of us have seen did not cleary show all the blows. It looked to me like he threw several "climbers' " punches (i.e. unlikely to harm a small mammal), and that used up his tiny reserve of energy and adrenaline; a little sanity returned, he realised where he was; but still angry, he slapped the guy's cap off.

The power of his punches whether that of a heavyweight boxer or a lightweight none bruising cyclist is entirely beside the point IMO,what is the point was that the episode was beamed throughout the world and because Lopez wasn't punished at all gives credence to lashing out in temper against anyone you feel deserves it.

Back to opinion: I never liked john Prescott much, but I would happily defend his reaction when Joe Public assaulted him. If you poke dogs with sticks they will sometimes bite you - that doesn't make the dog a bad dog, and the bitee usually deserves it.

John Prescott's reaction was to a deliberate assault on his person and because of that is an entirely a different matter.

The Lopez assault was against a fool who got in the way of an athlete trying to do his job.An accident if you will,albeit that anyone with a lick of sense could see the possible implications of running alongside a cyclist on the road side of a crowd of other spectators ,it still shouldn't give the athlete in question carte blanche to give said fool a thumping.
W H Auden