** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hondated

Re: Brexit and the NHS

Post by hondated »

Mike Sales wrote:Remainers have been saying that a trade deal with the USA after Brexit would involve opening the NHS to USA companies.

The US will want business access to the NHS in any post-Brexit trade deal, the US ambassador has said, prompting anger from politicians and campaigners before Donald Trump’s state visit to the UK this week.
Woody Johnson, who is a close friend of the US president, said every area of the UK economy would be up for discussion when the two sides brokered a trade deal.
Asked if the NHS was likely to form part of trade negotiations, Johnson told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show: “I think the entire economy, in a trade deal, all things that are traded would be on the table.” Asked if that specifically meant healthcare, he said: “I would think so.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/02/us-wants-access-to-nhs-in-post-brexit-deal-ambassador-to-uk-says

Well they're going to be too late down here as our local private hospital has announced its closing.

Given I have been there several times via NHS it looks like our waiting lists are now going to get longer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's pretty obvious leavers think democracy involves ignoring the wishes of others.
Sweeping statement.
Not all leavers think that, not by a long way IMO.

We were given an IN/OUT question in the referendum and Cameron and his motley crew said that parliament would be bound by the result. OUT won though not resoundingly.

If IN had won by a similar narrow majority, would the remain voters consider the leave voters? No doubt in my mind that they would not. The whole thing would have been put to bed and the people like me who never wanted to join in the first place, would continue moaning in the background and be treated like cranks.

This is patently ridiculous.

Over decades, the concerns of Euro sceptics' views have been addressed through opt outs to various legislation including the social chapter, and the limiting of EU influence through non- adoption of the euro and the Schengen system.

No one is suggesting ignoring sceptic views by reversing these.
You are saying that all the Euro sceptics have been addressed. You could be correct.

This doesn't address my point at all regarding NOW.
It was suggested that the Remain voters' concerns have been ignored by the Leave voters.

Sweeping statement.
Not true at all.
Many of us are concerned.

I suggest if the referendum result had gone the other way, all the Leavers' latter concerns would be swept under the carpet post referendum.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I suggest if the referendum result had gone the other way, all the Leavers' latter concerns would be swept under the carpet post referendum.

And I suggest that all the evidence from decades of our relationship with the EU shows that this has never been the case.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

windmiller wrote:Appears you can't make up your mind if you did or did not. But please don't allow me to stop you linking with your "stuff"- past, present and future.
As for petty nonsense I know now who to call for it and it won't be Ghost Busters.

I don't need to make my mind up, you probably didn't spot that you made the bold claim I simply pointed out your claim was wrong.

Seems like brexit in a nutshell. Thought about getting it printed on the side of a bus?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

kwackers wrote:
windmiller wrote:Appears you can't make up your mind if you did or did not. But please don't allow me to stop you linking with your "stuff"- past, present and future.
As for petty nonsense I know now who to call for it and it won't be Ghost Busters.

I don't need to make my mind up, you probably didn't spot that you made the bold claim I simply pointed out your claim was wrong.

Seems like brexit in a nutshell. Thought about getting it printed on the side of a bus?

ok I have to admit that last comment made me laugh.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yer not alone in yer readings there Cug :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Mick F wrote:The Leave people are clear - leave in accordance with the referendum - though not clear on how of course, and that's the sticking point.

It doesn't help that nobody has worked out how to do it without restarting civil war in Ireland or breaking up the United Kingdom.

Our present government is (just about) responsible enough not to do this. Who knows what would happen if Farage's Brexit Party took power?

If that were to happen it would be the responsibility of those who voted for it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Thank you Bovlimov, But had they been normal company accounts they would obviously been inadequate!
Bit like Parliament in this country fudges to avoid prosecution? IGICB MM

You may like to read the UK Auditor General's comments on the UK government's accounts before starting with that argument. Not only does he issue critical qualifications on many points, but says that the ministry of defence accounts are so incomplete that he can't tell if they are wrong or what may be wrong!

So, does that mean Merseyside should leave the UK?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:So what?
I can't stand the woman, and when we leave, she'll be out of (another) job.

So you've helped elect a homophobe https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/scien ... be-claims/

Any regrets yet?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mjr wrote:

So you've helped elect a homophobe https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/scien ... be-claims/

Any regrets yet?

I don't agree that she's a homophobe, her words have been twisted by the phobe police. So what do you suggest the punishment should be for her?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:I don't agree that she's a homophobe, her words have been twisted by the phobe police. So what do you suggest the punishment should be for her?

She is most certainly a homophobe, as evidenced by decades of words and indeed parliamentary votes.

Just for instance, if the age of consent was equalised, she said:

"there will be no protection for the vulnerable and confused against the predatory attentions of older men"

And don't twist words. No one has suggested any "punishment".

Have a read of her track record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Widdecombe
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see that the US Ambassador has made clear that the NHS will have to be on the table for any future trade talks, as will American chickens. They say we will have a choice whether or not to buy them but given their cheapness they will likely put UK producers out of business, so no real choice.

Trump clearly wants the break up of the EU entirely in his self interest. And he wants Johnson as PM as he wants to sell us out.
John
Oldjohnw

Re: Brexit and the NHS

Post by Oldjohnw »

And given that trump wants the UK version of Johnson as PM I think it's pretty clear that Boris would be happy to sell us out.
John
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mjr wrote:

Any regrets yet?

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/four ... parkfield/

That link also illustrates other examples of what many would consider homophobic behaviour, though it is careful not to use the word. It's all very odd, perhaps that site is not very reliable.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No regrets.
Mick F. Cornwall