Ireland E2E

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

Re: Ireland E2E

Post by island girl »

Hi, looking for more assistance. Plan to stay at Manorhamilton...should I continue through Ballyshannon, skirt Donegal and onwards to Letterkenny. Or should I head inland cycling towards Strabane. Then next day onwards to Malin Head.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm not sure I can be much more help. Donegal and Northern Ireland is still on my to do list and Westmeath in Co Mayo is as far north as I've ventured.

The more westerly route, towards Donegal, commits you to using the N15, at least for some part of the way. I've no idea what its like or how busy it gets.

I'm guessing your inland route uses the road along the north shore of Lower Lough Erne, before heading towards Strabane. There look to be more choices on quieter roads going that way. It may also be a bit less hilly.

Were you planning on using the Lough Swilly ferry at Rathmullan? If so do check the sailing schedule as it's a summer only service I believe.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Thank you Norman H. I have checked the ferry and unfortunately sailings start after I will be in the area. Hence looking at alternative routes.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I did Strabane to Malin Head via Derry Peace Bridge, in one day. I left my camping gear at Foyleside campsite and rode up to Malin and back without panniers.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
island girl

Post by island girl »

Hi All, have now completed my Ireland E2E cycle trip and loved every minute. Favourite parts were Mizen Penisula, Gap of Dunloe, Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, Malin Welcome. Founds Priest's Leap a bit hard going, sorry for calling you a sadist Norman , you were a great help. Weather was mixed but nothing too outrageous so coped well. I found my worries about the N and R roads unfounded, usually a good wide hard shoulder. People were amazing, so friendly. Food and B&B excellent. Sorry my trip is finished. Here is my blog for anyone interested or just looking for help. https://irelande2e.blogspot.com
nsew

Post by nsew »

Dunloe Gap is magical, hope you approached from the north. Had a tree come down in the night about 5 meters from my tent just over the pass. Ireland had the slowest surface roads I ever cycled. B hard work with the winds and ever threatening rains. That was August. Loved the fry ups in the supermarkets.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Congratulations and many thanks for reporting back. I enjoyed the blog and the wonderful photographs which perfectly capture the essence of Ireland, including the fact that the sun doesn't always shine and it sometimes rains in the west of Ireland.

I'm sorry about Priest's Leap, what can I say, but at least your photos do confirm that I was telling the truth about the view from the top. And I'm pleased that it didn't put you off following the Gap of Dunloe recommendation. Unfortunately the border follows the mountain ridge and and there's no easy way of crossing from Cork to Kerry. I also note that Fuzzy Felt only has two chainrings, a triple would have been handy I think.

Finally I'm afraid I have to inform you that I'm not Irish but I shall take it as a compliment that you thought I was. Oh to be sure to be sure! :) :)