Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Support for Welsh independence is growing and growing, 12% now, thousands marched for it in Caerdydd

So that makes 78% not in favour.

Right again, 10% undecided :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Support for Welsh independence is growing and growing, 12% now, thousands marched for it in Caerdydd

So that makes 78% not in favour.

Right again, 10% undecided :wink:

Maths malfunction, and I'd not even had a beer at that point! :lol:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

No, no, that's quite correct. The remaining 10% wanted independence for Acacia Close in North Cardiff, a glorious peoples republic of 14 houses, a garage, and a grass verge for cars to park 2 wheels on.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If we can get the 10% and the turnout is low, Anything Could Happen :?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Not enough for many people to go to the South and camp apparently.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=130299
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No.new.motorway round Casnewydd (it would have only led to England), our enlightened First Minister (laber) decided it should not be built
Plus One!
Businesspersons and tories bleated when they heard of the decision
Plus Two!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No.new.motorway round Casnewydd (it would have only led to England), our enlightened First Minister (laber) decided it should not be built
Plus One!
Businesspersons and tories bleated when they heard of the decision
Plus Two!

For a short time I rode through the Newport Levels regularly on my way from Bristol to Cardiff. Reminded me of the Fens, quiet and flat, and away from the M-way traffic. One lovely moonlit night it was so bright I switched my lights off.
It was horrible to think of a useless extra M-way carving through the Levels.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The First Minister was brave in his choice to abandon plans for more motorway capacity around Newport. I wonder how this will play out for him. The M4 is the main road connection between the most populous part of Wales and the rest of the world, so people living in Swansea, Port Talbot, Bridgend and Cardiff will all have a view on this. The congestion around Newport is a bottle neck. If it gets worse I expect Labour will come under some pressure. It will be their success or their failure.

Personally, I try to time driving that bit of motorway to avoid peak times. But I am lucky in that it doesn't form part of my commute. I usually have a choice when to be on it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

If we don't do something soon about burning fossil fuels the Gwent Levels may become a bit too damp for Motorways.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:If we don't do something soon about burning fossil fuels the Gwent Levels may become a bit too damp for Motorways.

I notice your own location :lol: The motorway would have been raised up, but the nature reserve will be in the firing line if and when sea levels rise significantly. As will low lying settlements like Port Talbot further down the coast.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:I notice your own location :lol:

I live in an old fen village which was built on an almost imperceptible (these days) bank above the marsh. That must have made a big difference at one time, and may in the future.
Unfortunately my own house is a metre or so lower than the crest, where the road runs. Still, I will probably gone before I need my dinghy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why, even the PotUS is on board, he enjoyed meeting the 'Prince of Whales' :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I was talking to someone a few days ago who had had a transfer, with the same employer, from an English city to South Wales. Partly because they have family in the area, but also because instead of being stuck with endless renting in a city where house prices are beyond them, they can buy a decent little house in a lovely valley with very friendly locals, a country park on the doorstep and easy access to many miles of forestry tracks. It would suit any MTB enthusiast.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51303224

This one needs a bit of fixing but a couple of weeks of building work should sort that.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:I was talking to someone a few days ago who had had a transfer, with the same employer, from an English city to South Wales. Partly because they have family in the area, but also because instead of being stuck with endless renting in a city where house prices are beyond them, they can buy a decent little house in a lovely valley with very friendly locals, a country park on the doorstep and easy access to many miles of forestry tracks. It would suit any MTB enthusiast.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51303224

This one needs a bit of fixing but a couple of weeks of building work should sort that.

Hoy, hoy! Don't be inviting the swarms of Blighters to Wales like that. I have moved here and wish to preserve my joy in the car-free lanes of smooth black tarmac, the wonderful forest tracks that seem to be all mine, the friendly locals who all seem competent at what they do, with cowboys rare. And much else that is very nice.

There are already too many of the English here. I am trying to hide by quickly adopting a Welsh accent and being nice to everyone I meet. Some of we immigrants are not so nice, especially the hooty-tooties from the SE of the Kingdom, wherein lies Little England. How they do talk down to the locals, often pushing their cause-of-the-moment or trying to take over various committees; or inventing tedious new ones.

Cugel, trying to alter the birf certificate in case the Disunited Kingdom happens.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Me and my better half were walking around the coastal nature reserve at Merthyr Mawr this afternoon and I have never seen so many wild flowers there. Mostly coastal or dune species. Particularly prominent were large drifts of Viper's Bugloss. When I got home I found someone has added this image to Streetview in the past few days.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4844996 ... 6?hl=en-GB

But looking closer, is this a poo bag? Why do people who take the trouble to get to such a lovely spot do that?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4844996 ... 6?hl=en-GB