John's LEJOG 2019 route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
1982john

John's LEJOG 2019 route

Post by 1982john »

Hi

Planning a first lejog starting in a couple of weeks. Hoping someone could give a glance over the first leg of my route. I'm not hoping to go fast just looking for a route that is off the busy roads.

The end point is where I've booked a hostel / BnB.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/61759630

https://www.komoot.com/tour/61759976

https://www.komoot.com/tour/70800905

https://www.komoot.com/tour/70802838

https://www.komoot.com/tour/70803398

thanks for any feedback
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: John's LEJOG 2019 route

Post by Mick F »

Day One.
No comments other than you've picked a very steep hill down into Boscastle.
I blew out my front tyre I was braking so hard when I went down it last year.

Better to take the longer shallower route down.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 09.17.41.png

Day Two.
VERY VERY hilly along the coast.
If you are carrying much of a load, you WILL be walking.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Day 5...... what are you heading to Birmingham for?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

philvantwo wrote:Day 5...... what are you heading to Birmingham for?

It's where I live! A bit unusual I guess but I'm going to take a road bike for the first leg and travel light. Then swapping bikes (and having a couple of days rest) to take camping gear for the remainder.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You'll need to travel light to do the north coast and get up Millook Hill.
Two chevrons, but it should have three! :D
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 13.34.35.png
Mick F. Cornwall
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Mick F wrote:Day One.
No comments other than you've picked a very steep hill down into Boscastle.
I blew out my front tyre I was braking so hard when I went down it last year.

Better to take the longer shallower route down.Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 09.17.41.png

Day Two.
VERY VERY hilly along the coast.
If you are carrying much of a load, you WILL be walking.

Thanks Mick.

Is the a388 holsworthy to stibb cross a reasonable road to cycle?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Mick F wrote:You'll need to travel light to do the north coast and get up Millook Hill.
Two chevrons, but it should have three! :D
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 13.34.35.png

Im also planing to do the north coast of cornwall starting this weekend. LE ,st just,st ives, newquay to padstow. I guess there are plenty of hills along that route and it will be scenic. I notice that cycle travel takes a more inland route between these locations which I presume to be a much easier route and an alternative if the going gets tough. Im planning on doing bodmin moor dartmoor and exmoor too.
Sorry for the thread hijack but im interested to hear what mick says knowing thats his patch.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 3 around Taunton I’d change the following.
1. I’d stick on the road into Bampton. Having ridden the exact lane you’ve picked it’s a nightmare out of Exebridge.
2. Stick on the B3327. At Shillingford and through Wiveliscombe you route off and then back on. It’s not necessary.
3. I’d leave the canal at Creech st. Michael then head up through Ham, Knapp then North Curry (bonus of very good cafe here) then carry on to Burrowbridge through Athelney.
4. I’m pretty sure the drove you’re routing along after Burrowbridge is not cyclable. Stick on the A road to Othery. Could be wrong it’s been a few months since I’ve cycled out that way.

On day 4, you’re going to Bath but missing out the two tunnels route. I’d review that if it were me!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

1982john wrote:Is the a388 holsworthy to stibb cross a reasonable road to cycle?
Yes, it's ok.
Done it a few times over the years.

Trouble is, it's North Devon.
Hills come and come again. Downhills followed by uphills some of them long and some of them steep. It's a constant battle, but you get used to it. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nick12 wrote:Im also planing to do the north coast of cornwall starting this weekend. LE ,st just,st ives, newquay to padstow. I guess there are plenty of hills along that route and it will be scenic. I notice that cycle travel takes a more inland route between these locations which I presume to be a much easier route and an alternative if the going gets tough. Im planning on doing bodmin moor dartmoor and exmoor too.
Sorry for the thread hijack but im interested to hear what mick says knowing thats his patch.
The coast road is wonderful.
Done it all, but it's hard work indeed especially if you don't have a favourable wind.

The highlight of the coast is from LE round to St Ives. Hilly and very dramatic. I'll be doing it again later this summer.

Padstow going north entails a ferry (or you go round). Last time I took the ferry, the tide was way out and that meant I had to walk up the sandy beach to Rock on the north side. Not good for a bike, and not good your precious cycling shoes ........ so I took mine off!

Good luck, and enjoy! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the reply mick, i hoped for scenic and expected it to be hard going may well head inland from st ives shall review enroute. I gathered it must be a ferry to rock from padstow. Hoping for good weather. Debating hammock or tent at moment really not sure yet. Shall travel fairly light though. Did rosedale chimney road other weekend 1in3 on some parts to test my gear set up so not too bothered about climbs. Thanks again.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

I did a ride from St Just up to Boscastle the other year, as this illustrates.

SW Day 5.png

The Garmin says I did 82 miles and 2300 m of ascent. Quite arduous in places but always enjoyable, ferry crossing fine. Funnily enough, the next day Mick F joined me in Boscastle to ride up to Hartland Point, taking in Millook on the way. At the time I was cycling from Portland Bill around the coast to Bristol so went up lots of the hills. Millook was the steepest on the whole trip, but not the hardest. It is 30% and is tough to get round the hairpin but otherwise do-able. Here is Mick F floating up to the top of Millook, complete with his Cornish shirt, making it look effortless.

DSC06387.JPG

Rosedale Chimney is definitely the harder climb, particularly the steep bit after the hairpin. First went up Millook 40 years ago when my family lived in the area. Living in York Rosedale is now a local climb for me so I know them both. I don’t always get up the steep bit of Rosedale these days, let alone with camping gear!

The road from Holsworthy to Stibb Cross is fine, but you might want to look at the A3072 to Crediton and Bickleigh.

Have fun!
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Hi again Chat!
Give my regards to Hugh.

I did Rosedale a few years ago, and our very own Thirdcrank was there at the top to cheer me on ........... and to photograph me.
I wore a helmet in those days.
P5300027.JPG
P5300027.JPG (26.45 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the info chat noir. Im looking forward to my tour shall see how it goes . May even continue up the coast and to bodmin moor. Ive highlighted a few routes on my map.
The chimney as you say gets hard on the bend but not too long. I found the road out of rosedale to the east harder but didnt have the same gears as i have now.
Sandhouse

Post by Sandhouse »

honesty wrote:On day 4, you’re going to Bath but missing out the two tunnels route. I’d review that if it were me!

Agree with using the Two Tunnels route into Bath. It not the most direct route but it’s a really nice off road section - lights are a good idea, these are long tunnels! Join it at Midford (or at Wellow if you don’t mind a bit of reasonably smooth gravel - it’s tarmac after Midford). You can then pick up the Bristol - Bath cycle path and NCN 4 along the river. Stay on NCN 4 via a slightly convoluted but reasonably quiet route through the centre. After Sydney Gardens you join the canal path, which is fine as this bit has a very good new surface, but stay on it till Bathampton, then you can either cross the river to join the main road or use the riverside gravel path. You then have a choice of hills to get out of Bath. Steway Lane is a bit more direct than Oakford Lane but even steeper. Both are quiet.

After that, once you cross the M4 much of the Fosse Way is off road and I wouldn’t attempt parts of it on a road bike. Going round on the road via Sherston wouldn’t add much, you might even want to loop via Castle Combe, a really pretty village with a cafe and a pub.