Sleeping mat woes

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nirakaro

Sleeping mat woes

Post by nirakaro »

Since old age made me want something a bit thicker than the standard Thermarest, I've been out of luck. I've had two Thermarest Evolites, both of which delaminated and turned into balloons after less than a month's use, then an Exped Synmat, which is great for the first half of the night, but by around 2 a.m. has half deflated (Yes, I've searched for leaks, in vain – I assume the fabric must be slightly porous). I've just ordered a Sea-to-Summit Ultralight, which I'm hoping will be more durable. Any comments?
PH

Re: Sleeping mat woes

Post by PH »

nirakaro wrote:Since old age made me want something a bit thicker than the standard Thermarest, I've been out of luck. I've had two Thermarest Evolites, both of which delaminated and turned into balloons after less than a month's use, then an Exped Synmat, which is great for the first half of the night, but by around 2 a.m. has half deflated (Yes, I've searched for leaks, in vain – I assume the fabric must be slightly porous). I've just ordered a Sea-to-Summit Ultralight, which I'm hoping will be more durable. Any comments?

I hope you've sent the Exped back, it's faulty, the material is not porous, or certainly not to the extent that you'd lose half overnight. Mine has never done that and despite that I've had two fail, I haven't fond anything else as comfortable. If this one goes I might consider something else, the NeoAir is front runner.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Agree with sending the Exped back. I believe there was an issue with one of their sleeping pads in the past few years?

I use a Thermarest Trail Pro - not the lightest, nor smallest packsize and recently looked at upgrading, not because there is anything wrong with it - I just wanted something smaller and lighter.

I checked out a range of pads in my local camping superstore and I just can't see how the ultralite ones can be durable. And they all seemed to be noisy!
I've decided to stick with my Thermarest but was interested in one of these too. https://www.klymit.com/insulated-static ... g-pad.html
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I sympathise entirely. I had trouble with lightweight Thermarest self inflators delaminating, so tried a basic Neoair which did the same. Then I bought a Neoair Trekker for something more substantial. I even used their battery powered inflator so that I could not over inflate it. It still delaminated, I think because I left it inflated all day in a hot tent. Last year I bought a Sea-to Summit Comfort Light Insulated, and so far this seems a good choice, I think because there is more surface area bonded and S-S say they use a stronger adhesive.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I am never certain why there seems to be many complaints regarding camping mattresses. Personally in all the years I have used them I have only ever had one problem and that was a Thermarest becoming pregnant. It was after being used for over 400 nights and that was replaced by them.

The last 15 years of camping around 100 nights a year I have used different models of Expeds without problems. I have done some tests with the newer Neoair and Big Agnes Air Core but didn’t think them as good.

Last year at Mildenhall Rally one of the campers cursed his Exped Synmat for deflating during the night. I did an inspection and found there was a tiny thread of insulation in seat of the deflate valve. It was pushed back clear of the valve seat and the mattress stayed up okay for the next three nights that I know of.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:I am never certain why there seems to be many complaints regarding camping mattresses.

It'll be because a large number of them fail. Not all of them obviously, but your 1,500 nights (You don't say over how many mats) is still anecdote rather than data. At a guess, my first mat failed after around 300 nights and the second didn't make half of that, both failure modes were the same.
Mat warranty.jpg
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

PH wrote: Not all of them obviously, but your 1,500 nights (You don't say over how many mats) is still anecdote rather than data.
Mat warranty.jpg

Why on earth do you think I should keep accurate data on everything I do just to satisfy your desire to go to the enth degree to show how clever you think you are?

Here is what I recall about my Exped purchases and if you want to come to my home and search through 15 years of purchase receipts to verify, you can.

First was an original Downmat which I used for about 3 years. Loved it, the only drawback was it’s bulkiness.

Next was a Synmat the model with the internal pump. It packed up smaller and was good for another few years.

Last was my current lightweight Synmat with the inflation sack. This I have had for about 6 years without any problems.

Should because you will only look for another loophole add the Neoair was used on a weeks tour of the South West. And the Big Agnes on my Swiss tour.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The missus and I got NeoAirs a few years ago, initially to save weight/bulk but we found them more comfortable than our "normal" T-rests in any case. They've not given us any problems.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:
PH wrote: Not all of them obviously, but your 1,500 nights (You don't say over how many mats) is still anecdote rather than data.
Mat warranty.jpg

Why on earth do you think I should keep accurate data on everything I do just to satisfy your desire to go to the enth degree to show how clever you think you are?

Bit over the top don't you think? You said "I am never certain why..." I've given you the answer, that's not the enth degree of anything.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

bikepacker wrote:I am never certain why there seems to be many complaints regarding camping mattresses.

You can be fairly sure that it's because a lot of people have problems with them, even if you have been lucky. I was very happy with my original Thermarest, and even happier when they replaced it under warranty at five or six years old. Since upgrading though, I've had problems. And there certainly isn't a "tiny thread of insulation in seat of the deflate valve" of my Exped. Sadly i can't send it back, because I bought it online, from somewhere in Germany, and haven't any record of who they were!
nsew

Post by nsew »

Yep, bit of a lottery with an air mattress, no matter the manufacturer. I certainly wouldn’t set off with a new untested one. If you do have a good one then hang on to it and keep on being extra nice to it. I’m on my 18th or 19th.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

nirakaro wrote:Sadly i can't send it back, because I bought it online, from somewhere in Germany, and haven't any record of who they were!

Can't you contact Exped and send it back to them directly?
That's what I've done with my failed Thermarests over the years, sent back to Cascade Designs in Ireland.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

nsew wrote:Yep, bit of a lottery with an air mattress, no matter the manufacturer. I certainly wouldn’t set off with a new untested one. If you do have a good one then hang on to it and keep on being extra nice to it. I’m on my 18th or 19th.

I have a small collection of cheap Decathlon sleeping pads – both my Evolites finally gave up the ghost, very thoughtfully, at campsites that were less than a mile from a branch of Decathlon – one in Modena, the other in Lyon. Plus the one I bought in Florence after losing(!) my Thermarest (don't ask…).
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

rualexander wrote:
nirakaro wrote:Sadly i can't send it back, because I bought it online, from somewhere in Germany, and haven't any record of who they were!

Can't you contact Exped and send it back to them directly?
That's what I've done with my failed Thermarests over the years, sent back to Cascade Designs in Ireland.

Nope. I exchanged emails with Exped, who told me to take it back to the shop. I think Thermarest's warranties, and customer service, are unusually, and remarkably, good.
nsew

Post by nsew »

How did you loose your Thermarest? There’s a Neo Air in a bin in Cuneo. (posting from on top of a Decathlon materassino)

nirakaro wrote:
nsew wrote:Yep, bit of a lottery with an air mattress, no matter the manufacturer. I certainly wouldn’t set off with a new untested one. If you do have a good one then hang on to it and keep on being extra nice to it. I’m on my 18th or 19th.

I have a small collection of cheap Decathlon sleeping pads – both my Evolites finally gave up the ghost, very thoughtfully, at campsites that were less than a mile from a branch of Decathlon – one in Modena, the other in Lyon. Plus the one I bought in Florence after losing(!) my Thermarest (don't ask…).