Advice on kids bike (Islabikes or Saracen)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gstar

Advice on kids bike (Islabikes or Saracen)

Post by Gstar »

Hi all

We are looking to buy a bike for 4,5 year old girl. After some internet research and family discussions we decided to either go for a second hand Islabikes Cnoc 16 or new Saracen Mantra 1.6 16w 2018. Both would cost the same approx £200 so it is down to which bike is really better at the same price - used Isla or new Saracen? New bikes are priced similar (£290 and £270). I have to say I did not find much information about Mantra hence my question here. I could not even find any second hand Mantra... a bit confused.

Many thanks for your help.
G
mmcnay

Re: Advice on kids bike (Islabikes or Saracen)

Post by mmcnay »

My boy's cycling really took off when we got him an Islabike Cnoc 16. They really are excellent. If you're careful and get a decent second hand one, you can sell it on and not lose much money. We got his from Gumtree and sold it a year later for slightly more on ebay. He's now on a Beinn 20, also from Gumtree. I didn't get such a good deal that second one, and had to do some work on it. But, I know when it comes to sell it I won't lose much.
All in all a much better biking experience for my boy. (I initially bought him an Apollo off Gumtree that was rubbish and far too heavy). The Islabike is a bigger initial outlay, but the bikes do hold their value.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Isla. No question - and makes sound financial sense, too.
Gstar

Post by Gstar »

Thanks for all your replies.

We plan to get "unisex" colour and use it for 3 kids so I assume 6 years... not sure if finacialy it would make more sense but time will tell!

Cycle Sprog recommends Saracen as alternative to Isla but it is hard to compare them - both weight more or less the same. I'm more tempted on Isla but wife "likes" Saracen ;)

Thanks
G
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

After 6 years the Isla will still be worth good money, less so the Saracen, so it's about the premium that is placed on buying a new bike for the first child.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Cube have also joined in the Lightweight stronger kids bikes
NUKe

Post by ratherbeintobago »

My boy's cycling really took off when we got him an Islabike Cnoc 16. They really are excellent. If you're careful and get a decent second hand one, you can sell it on and not lose much money. We got his from Gumtree and sold it a year later for slightly more on ebay. He's now on a Beinn 20, also from Gumtree. I didn't get such a good deal that second one, and had to do some work on it. But, I know when it comes to sell it I won't lose much.

This. The price of new ones is eye watering, and once you get past Beinn 20L sizing there don’t seem to be many about.

We’ve got a Cnoc 16 (bought new) and a Beinn 20L (eBay). The big one has just moved onto a Trek Wahoo 26 as we couldn’t get a Beinn 26S for sensible money s/h.

Cycle Sprog recommends Saracen as alternative to Isla

Not Frog, which is the usual Isla alternative?
Shoyu

Post by Shoyu »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

We got a Frog for our 8 year old daughter in September. It’s light (although I still end up doing all the lifting but I appreciate it!) and so far trouble free. She chose the mountain bike model (can’t remember the name off hand) and should last her a while yet.
Gstar

Post by Gstar »

Shoyu wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:

We got a Frog for our 8 year old daughter in September. It’s light (although I still end up doing all the lifting but I appreciate it!) and so far trouble free. She chose the mountain bike model (can’t remember the name off hand) and should last her a while yet.

Frog is on their list too but it’s heavier than Isla and Saracen. Currently new Frog costs £239 and Saracen £194. I guess with our max budget £200 we can only afford new Saracen or second hand Isla or Frog. My preference for second hand bike is Isla.

Thanks
G
http://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/bikes/small ... ch-wheels/
ratherbeintobago

I’d really go with the Isla.

I meant to say - there’s a s/h Islabikes group on Facebook which might be helpful.
Gstar

Post by Gstar »

ratherbeintobago wrote:I’d really go with the Isla.

I meant to say - there’s a s/h Islabikes group on Facebook which might be helpful.

I’m watching that group, eBay, gumtree and preloved. Many thanks
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Ridgeback make a good 16" bike.

The knobbly tyres are a bit heavy and decent ones would transform it.

Cheers James
ratherbeintobago

Jamesh wrote:Ridgeback make a good 16" bike.

The knobbly tyres are a bit heavy and decent ones would transform it.

Cheers James

When we were shopping about for the Beinn 20L we had a look at the Ridgeback equivalent. Again, it’s not quite as good as the Isla (a bit heavier). IIRC the tyres are the same as the Islas were (Kenda SB8s) before they did their own.

We decided to go with a s/h Isla; I think once you get beyond the 20L size there’s a slight diminishing returns issue as things like small weight differences become proportionally important. Having said that, I’ve had to swap out the brake levers on the Trek for shorter-reach Tektro ones, and it’s on this kind of detail where Isla shines.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Good choice.

The Isla bike will give the best resale value too

Cheers James
ratherbeintobago

Jamesh wrote:Good choice.

The Isla bike will give the best resale value too

Cheers James

I hope so! As soon as #2 spawn comes off her stabilisers (see threads passim) the Cnoc has an appointment with eBay - it’s pink so wouldn’t suit the OP though.