My 10 day JOGLE route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plumby

My 10 day JOGLE route

Post by plumby »

Hello everyone,

I’ve had a look at quite a few other routes and tried to incorporate suggestions. I’ve now reached a point where I’m changing things I’ve already changed so it's probably best just to post it! Days 6 and 7 are a bit odd (maybe they all are!?) as I am incorporating a visit to my parents.
Suggestions on what I’m doing or where I am literally going wrong would be really appreciated.

I’m not looking for the fastest of routes nor the most scenic, just somewhere in between. Major A-roads are a no-no for me. Some B-roads can be very dangerous hence the reason for posting. Everything looks innocent when plotting a route from my armchair!

Confirmed departure date for the JOGLE is 1st August

:D

Go easy!

Day 1: JOG to Evanton https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30053633
Day 2: Evanton to Blair Atholl https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30052045
Day 3: Blair Atholl to Carnwath https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30054212
Day 4: Carnwath to Penrith https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30185355
Day 5: Penrith to Hindley https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30185815
Day 6: Hindley to South Croxton https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30185934
Day 7: South Croxton to Gloucester https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30186177
Day 8: Gloucester to Taunton https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30190340
Day 9: Taunton to Boscastle https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30206423
Day 10: Boscastle to Land's End https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30206724
bogmyrtle

Re: My 10 day JOGLE route

Post by bogmyrtle »

Day 4. No need to go round the houses in Gretna.
Go straight through Gretna then right under the A75 followed by left onto the B7076.
Gretna to Carlisle you don't need to go via Rockclffe. An alternative is to stay on the road that runs parallel to the M6. Brings you into Carlisle on the A7. Admittedly not a very exciting road but it is a bit more direct. Hardwick Circus roundabout (Carlisle) is only traffic light controlled at peak times. Rest of the time "Circus" is quite an apt name.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d agree with bogmyrtle re Gretna but at Carlilse I’m convinced it’s a lot quicker coming around the 'relief road" A689. Dont worry you don’t have to be on the A road there’s a lovely cycle path alongside.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RickH

Post by RickH »

Day 5 I would suggest a revised route near the end as the canal towpath gradually deteriorates south of Adlington (becoming mud with 6 inch puddles by Haigh Hall unless we've had a dry spell like last summer) - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30210849.

If you come off at Adlington, by White Bear Marina (a good cafe there if you are passing during opening hours) to follow roads, & the drives at Haigh Hall, to pick up the railway path that crosses the canal a little earlier. Sadly the railway bridge is no longer there so you have to use the footbridge by the lock to cross the canal, but you would have had to do that anyway on your original route. Alternatively you could rejoin your original route where the drive down from Haigh Hall crosses the canal as the towpath is somewhat better between there & Top Lock, although still a bit muddy & puddly to start with.

Day 6 I would suggest a revised start. This is the way I would go to get onto the Fallowfield Loop - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30210636

The A577 can be a bit busy during rush hour but otherwise isn't too bad. Then cut through quieter roads (some more quiet than others) to use the car-free path alongside the Guided Busway out of Leigh & onto the Roe Green Loop line as far as Monton. The canal path between Leigh & Worsley is (or was last time I went that way) pretty bad in places (although it lulls you into a false sense of security as you head out of Leigh by how good it is).

I would suggest a different route from the canal to the Fallowfield Loop. Turn right immediately after you pass under Chester Road up the short steep ramp (probably a push) &, at the top turn right onto the cyclepath over the canal to the next turning. Right then left to Old Trafford Cricket Ground (there is cycle access out of the end of Gorse Ave onto Great Stone St). When you turn right onto Manchester Road in Chorlton there is cycle access to turn left into Albany Road at the far end of the small car park.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Quick point in Taunton. There’s a little jitty next to the VW garage opposite Alma Street that’ll take you into the back of Vivery park so you don’t need to go onto East Reach from Queens street, just go from Queens street to Alma Street to the park. It’s an easier route as there’s no traffic lights either.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Day 9
If it were me going though Holsworthy, I'd carry on through Red Post to Stratton and turn south down the A39.
Other than that, if you don't want the A39, it's fine.

Also, why not use the normal road through from Hatherleigh?
I know there's a cycle route there, as I've been that way loads of time, but never ever been tempted to use the cycle route as there's nothing wrong with the main road at all. Not busy.

Day 10
Seems fine, but I wouldn't go that way. I'd use the A39. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Looks like an interesting route.

A couple of things from me...

That is a massive first day! I did JOG to Bonar Bridge for my first day and that was enough of a day one for me. I went via Dunnet Head so it was a tad over 100 miles for my first day.

I did do a 135-mile day (Edinburgh to Penrith) so I do have an idea of what that is like, but you really have got a lot of ascent in your first day.

The road from Bettyhill to Altnaharra is beautiful, but it is a 'heavy' road and I found my progress to be a bit slower than expected. I also had a strong (15mph) headwind so the descent that I was looking forward to - down to Bonar Bridge from the Crask Inn - actually felt like I was riding on the flat.

Again, the road over the top to Evanton is a great choice, very scenic, but (as is shown by your RWGS elevation profile) it's a pretty stiff ascent. Are you sure you will be up for that after the 110 miles it will have taken you to get there? And, I guess more importantly, are you sure you can knock this day off in good time to get to your accommodation, eat rest and be sufficiently recovered for another fairly big day for day 2?

Second point, on reflection I would have put my longer days 'in the middle' when things are flatter (or at least the biggest hills can be avoided). Which makes me question the need to make your detour to Leicester. To my mind, this is the kind of thing that seems like a good idea from the armchair but is potentially something that will get into your head when you realise that you are going off route and adding extra miles... (your day 6 link is not working BTW).

On day 3 you might get a flatter route going to the East of the M90, dropping south from Loch Leven. I went that way down to Delgety Bay and suspect it to be flatter (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28283592)

As with all these things, your mileage may vary, it's your route and you know what you can and can't do.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks all this is terrific. What a great forum.

@bogmyrtle and Paulatic I’ve incorporated your suggestions thanks a lot. I decided against the A689 just because on the other way there is a potential toilet stop (McDonalds).

Thanks @RickH. That guided bus route is brilliant! It took me ages to work out how to sort Ride With GPS so I could navigate across that bridge on the ‘wrong’ side of the road to speak. Incorporated everything. Thank you.

@honesty I am going to have another look at that Taunton part. Cheers.

Thanks @MickF. I’m going to look again at that. I guess I foolishly discounted the A-road thinking it would be busy but as you’re native then definitely take the recommendation. Thank you! I really wanted your blessing on anything across the Cornwall border!! You gave me advice back in 2013 too when I originally planned JOGLE however the arrival of my son rightly scuppered it so it’s deferred until now!

Thanks a million @FasterFerret. You’ve convinced me that I need a shorter first day. Can I ask, what do you mean by a ‘heavy’ road? Any recommendations where to stay? I’m am using Beds For Cyclists but haven’t booked any accommodation yet except for the night before in JoG.

The detour to Leicester is a luxury but it means I get to see my children and can also service my bike if I need to using my own toolbox. Plus it saves £40 I guess on accommodation. I’ve fixed the link for Day 6, thanks for pointing that out.

Day 6 link fixed. Right through the Peak District!. An early start that morning! https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30222224
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A heavy road

Generally means a road with lots of undulation.

But it can also mean a road with a bad surface tar and chip for example the road from Blackmore gate to woolacombe is just such a road - the surface destroys any smooth riding.

Can also be tired legs making the road hard work or a headwind might have the same feeling.

Cheers James
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

plumby wrote:Thanks all this is terrific. What a great forum.

Thanks a million @FasterFerret. You’ve convinced me that I need a shorter first day. Can I ask, what do you mean by a ‘heavy’ road? Any recommendations where to stay? I’m am using Beds For Cyclists but haven’t booked any accommodation yet except for the night before in JoG.

Get used to the term heavy - it's the local vernacular for a road that offers more grip (and resistance to forward momentum) that you would quite like! Seems to be a 'feature' of many Scottish roads. Apparently, something related to how they surface the road for different weather conditions, but funny how the thinking changes immediately you pass through Gretna... You'll get some more of the same if you use the road that parallels the A74M, it's a tar and chip surface (I believe) where the tar seems to have worn or washed away, so you get plenty of resistance on that bit too!

I did find that section South of Bettyhill to also be quite undulating and a little difficult to get into a smooth rhythm - it's certainly not as even a gradient as the RWGPS shows. Definitely worth doing this route, it is very scenic, just passing on my experience.

It is worth noting that there really isn't much (anything!) between Bettyhill and Altnaharra, other than a small campsite on the side of the Loch. There are only a couple of inns/hotels between there and Bonar Bridge. A stop at the Crask Inn is worth it just for the experience, but as with a lot of things that far North, do check the opening hours (days!) before you rely on them. There's a half decent chippy off the main road by the loch in Lairg and a convenience store right next to it. There is also a world-renowned restaurant in Bonar Bridge if you are into that, although it was closed on the day that I was there anyway.

I stopped at a nice cottage (Airbnb) in Ardgay, lovely place and very nice landlady, getting used to LEJOGLErs (Strawberry Cottage I think it was called).

I guess the summary of my advice (and experience) on choosing the distance for each day is to ask yourself: is that mileage is 'do-able' even if you have all things against you - wind, rain, mechanical, fatigue. I had all of those on the way from Edinburgh to Penrith, a beast of a day with about 13 hours on the road. I was never going to quit, but it was a lesson for me that there's a difference between what you can do on a one-off long-day in good conditions and what the same feels like if the gods are against you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

FasterFerret wrote:
plumby wrote:Thanks all this is terrific. What a great forum.

Get used to the term heavy - it's the local vernacular for a road that offers more grip (and resistance to forward momentum) that you would quite like! Seems to be a 'feature' of many Scottish roads. Apparently, something related to how they surface the road for different weather conditions, but funny how the thinking changes immediately you pass through Gretna... You'll get some more of the same if you use the road that parallels the A74M, it's a tar and chip surface (I believe) where the tar seems to have worn or washed away, so you get plenty of resistance on that bit too!

I did find that section South of Bettyhill to also be quite undulating and a little difficult to get into a smooth rhythm - it's certainly not as even a gradient as the RWGPS shows. Definitely worth doing this route, it is very scenic, just passing on my experience.

It is worth noting that there really isn't much (anything!) between Bettyhill and Altnaharra, other than a small campsite on the side of the Loch. There are only a couple of inns/hotels between there and Bonar Bridge. A stop at the Crask Inn is worth it just for the experience, but as with a lot of things that far North, do check the opening hours (days!) before you rely on them. There's a half decent chippy off the main road by the loch in Lairg and a convenience store right next to it. There is also a world-renowned restaurant in Bonar Bridge if you are into that, although it was closed on the day that I was there anyway.

I stopped at a nice cottage (Airbnb) in Ardgay, lovely place and very nice landlady, getting used to LEJOGLErs (Strawberry Cottage I think it was called).

I guess the summary of my advice (and experience) on choosing the distance for each day is to ask yourself: is that mileage is 'do-able' even if you have all things against you - wind, rain, mechanical, fatigue. I had all of those on the way from Edinburgh to Penrith, a beast of a day with about 13 hours on the road. I was never going to quit, but it was a lesson for me that there's a difference between what you can do on a one-off long-day in good conditions and what the same feels like if the gods are against you.

Good advice esp last paragraph taking a mental photograph!!

Cheers James
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks for this, really insightful. What was your daily average out of interest FF?

I’m going for 100 mile days now for 10 days. I was really intrigued by your description of a heavy road, thanks for that. Since your post about my first day (130m) I’ve trimmed it down to 100 now which means faffing about with the rest of the days in RWGPS. But it’s definitely worth it. I need to add shops onto my Wahoo as a cue so I remember. I really don’t relish the prospect of bonking in the Highlands!

Think my training is enough?...
I have done a number of back to back 65 milers with the most being 4 consecutive days. These were unloaded though as in no luggage except for 2kg of water and flapjacks. I am doing these on my new gravel bike with 35mm tyres and doing them in 3h 45m with, according to my Wahoo, 5000ft of climb. I’m hoping 100 milers will be achievable after this. I am planning on some single centuries before but don’t want to do back to back 100s over the weekend as my children will forget what I look like!

I also cycle 20 miles a day to and from work on a single speed bike with 600ft of climb each way. I hope all this proves to be enough?

Random question alert! – how do you get your picture next to the JoG monument? I think I read somewhere that some chap charges a tenner and then takes the sign down and takes it home! Anyone know?
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

plumby wrote:
Random question alert! – how do you get your picture next to the JoG monument? I think I read somewhere that some chap charges a tenner and then takes the sign down and takes it home! Anyone know?

That one I can answer quite quickly, the others might take a bit longer...

Yes, there's a chap there who will take a picture for you - for a cost. As you said, I think it was about a tenner.

I'm usually a bit curmudgeonly on this kind of thing, but I parted with my cash. You do end up with a decent picture, he will personalise the sign for you with name/date/mileage and the like and will also take pic for your on your own phone. If you are doing it for charity mention it and you might get a spare photo to send to your charity.

For me I figured that I had spent enough on the whole venture that another few quid for a decent photo as a momento was worth it.

If you decide against, it's a long way to go back if you change your mind later...
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks FF. Do you know if aforementioned bloke is there at 8am (set-off time)? Haha! Just realised that is a daft question but trying to work out if I need to have the pic taken the day before!
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Seems like I got my start and finish mixed up!

Paid for picture at Land's End.

The finger post at JoG is there all the time - just a normal signpost in the visitor car park.