Went to pick up a leaf -

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Went to pick up a leaf -

Post by cycleruk »

and it moved.
Hawk.jpeg

Had a few of these in the garden over the years. Always by the garage including this one.

Came home from the shops and found this little chap sheltering from the rain. Is still there a few hours later.
Bee.jpeg

Don't know which species it is ?

(click to enlarge.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
661-Pete

Re: Went to pick up a leaf -

Post by 661-Pete »

First one: Poplar Hawk Moth, I think. Nicely camouflaged. Can't identify the bee.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Talking of bees ... on our recent visit to the house in France, we discovered a nice specimen of Tongue Orchid growing in the garden:
Serapias lingua 0484.jpg

On closer examination there were several tiny bees (?) apparently stuck in the flowers. They were most reluctant to be dislodged. I wonder whether they went in to sample the nectar, got drunk on it, and stayed put, to sleep it off? Just a wild guess....
Serapias lingua with bee 0488.jpg
Serapias lingua with bee 0488.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 660 times

I don't suppose anyone can identify the bee or explain what it's up to...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

661-Pete wrote:First one: Poplar Hawk Moth, I think. Nicely camouflaged. Can't identify the bee.

The moth was camouflaged against the drive blocks and that's why I thought it was a leaf. Made me jump when it fluttered in my hand. :shock:
We have a couple of poplar trees in the garden but I have seen them on willows we have as well.
Bee is still there, now for six hours. Maybe getting heat from bricks and a dry spot out of rain.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yep Poplar Hawk Moth,not surprised it made you jump if you thought it was a leaf.Big fellows aren't they? :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

661-Pete wrote:First one: Poplar Hawk Moth, I think. Nicely camouflaged. Can't identify the bee.

I'm no expert, but the bee looks like the one identified as a Tree bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) in this link - ginger thorax, black abdomen and white tail.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

661-Pete wrote:...

I can't help with identification but I think you've about nailed what they're up to. Bees do sometimes sleep in flowers, presumably because it's a fairly safe place with breakfast on tap and close to their work. I doubt they were literally drunk, but fully fed and maybe they'd had a long flight to get there.

Years ago I used to visit a relative's house where they had passion flowers growing in the garden. Bumblebees used to fall asleep on the flowers, and if it was late in the day the flowers closed over them and the bees stayed in their little tents all night. Sounded like something out of a kids' book to me, but they did it all the same.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:On closer examination there were several tiny bees (?) apparently stuck in the flowers. They were most reluctant to be dislodged. I wonder whether they went in to sample the nectar, got drunk on it, and stayed put, to sleep it off? Just a wild guess....

I don't suppose anyone can identify the bee or explain what it's up to

Here in Wales nearly every Bumblebee that is torpid and slow has an infestation of mites around the leg sockets. Sometimes shockingly enormous numbers on a large bee and the affected individuals always eventually succumb.
I have been so touched as to try to clear the mites away but it's probably futile.

Cold wet weather can make healthy bees quite inactive though.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Talking of bees ... on our recent visit to the house in France, we discovered a nice specimen of Tongue Orchid growing in the garden:

On closer examination there were several tiny bees (?) apparently stuck in the flowers. They were most reluctant to be dislodged. I wonder whether they went in to sample the nectar, got drunk on it, and stayed put, to sleep it off? Just a wild guess....

Guardian Country Diary (this week) had bumblebees (sleeping in flowers!)as part of its content. In case you were interested.