Croggy - a new one on me.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: Croggy - a new one on me.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a second person on a mountain bike, feet on an elongated back axle, standing up
Obviously a 'backie'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Cugel wrote:A croggy for ride on the crossbar, since I was a little bairn in Tyneside (50s onwards). Probably older than that. A corruption of "crossbar".

It didn't refer to a ride on the saddle behind the pedaller; or to a ride on the handelbars. The former was a backy and there was no name I can recall for the latter, since no one would do it unless they were mad or a pair of masochists.

Cugel
A croggy is on the handlebars, backy when behind you astride the saddle or side saddle on the pannier rack.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
"Giz a croggy duck!" Love this discussion! To me (grew up in Nottingham) a croggy meant sitting anywhere on the bike

Yep, same here, (but a few miles south of you) "giz's a croggy in ya grid"
It's a cob (which helpfully differentiates a sausage roll (in pastry) from a sausage cob (bread roll)
Sauce to show veracity :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Huck

Post by Huck »

tim-b wrote:Hi
"Giz a croggy duck!" Love this discussion! To me (grew up in Nottingham) a croggy meant sitting anywhere on the bike

Yep, same here, (but a few miles south of you) "giz's a croggy in ya grid"
It's a cob (which helpfully differentiates a sausage roll (in pastry) from a sausage cob (bread roll)
Sauce to show veracity :)
Regards
tim-b

Used the term croggy in Nottingham in the 1950's and still use it today. It means a lift on a crossbar.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Croggy, croggy, croggy!
Croi, croi, croi!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I saw a lad on a bike in Italy last summer, girlfriend sitting on his handlebars, facing him! Brave lass – he had a nice view, but it wasn't of the road ahead.