Freego Wren - electrical-assist not working

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jordano

Freego Wren - electrical-assist not working

Post by Jordano »

I have a Freego Wren ebike was working last time used battery fully charged all lights coming in via key on battery but is not giving any peddle assist what can I check please
hemo

Re: Freego Wren - electrical-assist not working

Post by hemo »

PAS is cadence sensor and magnet ring, they are located either on RHS or LHS of the bottom bracket. Some PAS sensors also have a small Red led that blinks as it passes the magnet poles.
Turn the bike upside down check the magnet ring, make sure it is not spinning on the axle. It should be static and only turn with pedal/crank rotation, the magnet poles need to be inline and passing the sensor head and the gap between sensor and magnet ring should be 1 - 2mm gapping. The PAS set up can can be knocked out of line if lent against something that might be abe to touch it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

hemo wrote:PAS is cadence sensor and magnet ring, they are located either on RHS or LHS of the bottom bracket. Some PAS sensors also have a small Red led that blinks as it passes the magnet poles.
Turn the bike upside down check the magnet ring, make sure it is not spinning on the axle. It should be static and only turn with pedal/crank rotation, the magnet poles need to be inline and passing the sensor head and the gap between sensor and magnet ring should be 1 - 2mm gapping. The PAS set up can can be knocked out of line if lent against something that might be abe to touch it.

Happens from time to time for me - a second or two fixes it.
John
hemo

Post by hemo »

Chain coming off inboard can also cause issues.
Peter_the_Crate

Post by Peter_the_Crate »

I have this problem. The magnet disc is quite loose on the shaft and it moves about and rotates very freely. I'm guessing this is wrong. I'll get another one fitted but is there anything I can do to (help) prevent it happening again?

TIA
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Peter_the_Crate wrote:I have this problem. The magnet disc is quite loose on the shaft and it moves about and rotates very freely. I'm guessing this is wrong. I'll get another one fitted but is there anything I can do to (help) prevent it happening again?

TIA

I put a thin stop of duck tape next to the disc. Keeps it in place.
John
hemo

Post by hemo »

The disc has splines that should grip the tapered axle shaft with time they can break off or lose grip, you can put a wind or two of tape on the shaft then press fit the disc back on or use an epoxy glue like Gorilla Epoxy. How you prevent the disc from slipping doesn't matter all that matters is it only rotates when you pedal/turn the cranks.
Peter_the_Crate

Post by Peter_the_Crate »

Oldjohnw wrote:I put a thin stop of duck tape next to the disc. Keeps it in place.

hemo wrote:The disc has splines that should grip the tapered axle shaft with time they can break off or lose grip, you can put a wind or two of tape on the shaft then press fit the disc back on or use an epoxy glue like Gorilla Epoxy. How you prevent the disc from slipping doesn't matter all that matters is it only rotates when you pedal/turn the cranks.

Thank you both. I'll work something out.

Peter.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Make a note of the disc face which is orientated against the sensor so magnet pole face is correct. Also make sure the gap from magnets to sensor is about 1 - 2mm.