Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mr bajokoses

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by mr bajokoses »

The Tory party leadership horrorshow might make some people wistful, nostalgic even, for the good old days of strong and stable Theresa May. Here is an analysis of her tenure as Prime Minister that might help overcome those feelings.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/06/11/don-t-start-pining-for-theresa-may-she-was-unspeakably-dire
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

"None of the above"
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:The Tory party leadership horrorshow might make some people wistful, nostalgic even, for the good old days of strong and stable Theresa May. Here is an analysis of her tenure as Prime Minister that might help overcome those feelings.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/06/11/don-t-start-pining-for-theresa-may-she-was-unspeakably-dire

WHo is Jonathan Lis?
Some thing tells me he dont rate Mrs May that much :shock:
has he done a job on Cameron and Osbourne also?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wonder if we are seeing the end of the tory party?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:The only way to change it is through legislation similar to the fixed term act. Where only a vote in Parliament can stop a general election following a change in leadership of a party in government.

Does anywhere do that in law? I know in some countries an election following a change in the majority leader generally happens in practice because the prime minister is basically what holds the ruling coalition together (in some cases, such as Italy at present, the prime minister leads neither party in the coalition and is a consensus candidate of them).

In Britain we are held to vote for a candidate for our constituency. Elected M.P.s then agree on a P.M. We do seem to be moving towards a more presidential system, in our usual messy and undefined way.

The very debatable idea that we "vote for a candidate for our constituency" was mortally wounded if not finally killed off by May counting those of us voting for Remain-supporting dissenting candidates as part of her completely fictional "85% voted for" Brexit. Unless there's some sort of reform to allow Welsh/Scottish-style separate votes for candidates and parties, I agree we are definitely in "messy and undefined" territory now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

PH wrote:Andrea Leadsom 12/1 get that while you can, I don't think the odds have caught up with the advantage her resignation could make.
Penny Mordaunt 20/1 bit unlikely I know, but IMO there's still more chance of it than the odds suggest
David Lidington 33/1 even more of an outsider and a remainer to boot, but they might just decide a safe pair of hands is needed to calm the waters.

So how are my horses doing?
Two never even got to the starting gate :roll:
Andrea Leadsom is currently third favourite behind Johnson and Hunt and ahead of Gove, odds shortened to 9/1
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Where was Tyburn any one know? hint hint.
I would offer my services as I am sure others would.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote:
PH wrote:Andrea Leadsom 12/1 get that while you can, I don't think the odds have caught up with the advantage her resignation could make.
Penny Mordaunt 20/1 bit unlikely I know, but IMO there's still more chance of it than the odds suggest
David Lidington 33/1 even more of an outsider and a remainer to boot, but they might just decide a safe pair of hands is needed to calm the waters.

So how are my horses doing?
Andrea Leadsom is currently third favourite behind Johnson and Hunt and ahead of Gove, odds shortened to 9/1

Liddington isn't standing.
John
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:
Debs wrote:Image

Not far off the truth even in jest :?

Perhaps they'll form a circle and simultaneously stab each other in the back :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Who'll choose the next PM without a GE,and will then wield great power over an electorate,who never voted for such a PM,after who the previous PM didnt have a majority but relied on on 10 DUP MP's to prop up the worst government the country has ever seen in living memory.

Worth seeing what Boris himself has to say on the issue:
Boris wrote:“It’s the arrogance. It’s the contempt. That’s what gets me. It’s Gordon Brown’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It’s at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.”

“They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM… They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal. Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup… with North Korean servility, the Labour Party has handed power over to the brooding Scottish power-maniac.”

You seem to forget that Gordo had a moral compass whereas BJ navigates with his sextant, or something like that.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:
kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Who'll choose the next PM without a GE......................”

You seem to forget that Gordo had a moral compass whereas BJ navigates with his sextant, or something like that.

Nice one TC.
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:So how are my horses doing?

Liddington isn't standing.[/quote]
Neither is Mordaunt, hence the comment that two didn't make it to the starting gate...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Debs wrote:Image

Not far off the truth even in jest :?

Perhaps they'll form a circle and simultaneously stab each other in the back :wink:

seems like all the tax payers money McVey spent on photography was badly spent?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... otographer
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

mercalia wrote:I wonder if we are seeing the end of the tory party?

We can but hope...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Spinners wrote:
mercalia wrote:I wonder if we are seeing the end of the tory party?

We can but hope...

To think that a month or so ago most of these people were sitting around the Cabinet table pretending to be the Govenment. Now they are, to mix my metaphors, at each others' throats whilst stabbing each other in the back.
John