Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
So with Labour forgotten and Tories defeated who will the the remainers place their hope in next?
I am happy with boris in charge though Javid looks a good second.

Politics aside can you explain how you could be happy with someone who without any doubt is a liar and is purposefully rude to people. Acts like a buffoon and yet you would put your trust in him.
Can we assume that in every other walk of your life you associate, condone and actively seek the company of liars? You’d prefer to invest finances and trust with charlatans. I’m sure I’m not alone in that I just can’t even begin to comprehend that.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roubaixtuesday wrote: ... According to Matthew Parris, former Tory MP,
"a habitual liar, a cheat, a conspirator with a criminal pal to have an offending journalist’s ribs broken, a cruel betrayer of the women he seduces, a politician who connived in a bid for a court order to suppress mention of a daughter he fathered, a do-nothing mayor of London and the worst foreign secretary in living memory”

I fell out with the Sniveller after his barbed-wire bantz and self-serving apology, but it's significant that a mainstream hack such as this writes so openly in such a defamatory way. As a former Honourable Member, he always seemed to have the insider info when he was the parliamentary sketch writer in the Times rag.

Most people believe that politicians speak with forked-tongue but hacks openly refer to BJ as an egregious (ie outstanding) liar and having let it pass, an action for defamation is now unlikely to succeed, although in the past, that's been a Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect £200 card for several high profiles tories.

In the Shires, he seems popular with tory backwoodspersons.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48602988

I thought Boris very ineloquent in his campaign opening gambit.
Stumbling, even though he was clearly reading from a statement.
A statement which although presumably long in the writing and editing contained nothing uplifting.

Indeed the huge and major omission was that it contained nothing whatsoever that suggested that Brexit would lead to an improvement in the fortunes of the UK, either socially or economically.
Astonishing really that he could promise no benefit?

The focus was entirely upon "the will of the people" and about the survival of the Tory Party.

It is not the will of all the people as that other thread has so clearly demonstrated.
I would go so far as to say that the case for Brexit has been pretty thoroughly trashed on that thread.
Leavers reduced to simplistic unrelated metaphors and to "get over it".

And the fate of the Tories is, quite literally, all their own selfish, greedy and narrow minded doing.

There is some solace there though.
If come October and the Tories have installed a hard Brexit leader who then fails to gain any further agreements with the EU (and I think that is quite likely) then we will leave. The flow of business, skills and industry out of the UK will continue.
Inflation will rise on a continued weak pound and most of us will continue to get poorer in more ways than just one.

I hope the EU does now do that, I am sad to say.
Say goodbye and close the door without further negotiation.
It is time for them to end the fiasco and move mainland Europe forward.

After a certain amount of time those things will then at last, come home to roost for any new Tory leader.

I personally look forward to that as a bringer of some solace.
Boris, with his foolish personal ambition, will reap what he has so long deserved,
approbation and confinement to the dustbin, in which lie a couple of other has beens.

Bring it on.

Yo're assuming the electorate is capable of suddenly seeing reality rather than the propagada-land they're habitually tutored to "see" by the newspaps, political spinners et al. If it all crashes and burns, as seems likely post crash-out, scapegoats and pariahs by the dozen will be found and offered up for sacrifice, as usual.

The scapegoats and pariahs will not be the politicians or others who created the crash but rather the usual powerless groups traditionally hunted down when the Little English feel one of their many angsts (which angsts will increase in number and virulence post-crash). Added to these will be the various Johny Foreigners, who will be accused of not only eating babies but also conspiring against good old Blighty in, oh, all sorts of unclean ways.

We are in for some bad times ... and not just economically.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Paulatic wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
So with Labour forgotten and Tories defeated who will the the remainers place their hope in next?
I am happy with boris in charge though Javid looks a good second.

Politics aside can you explain how you could be happy with someone who without any doubt is a liar and is purposefully rude to people. Acts like a buffoon and yet you would put your trust in him.
Can we assume that in every other walk of your life you associate, condone and actively seek the company of liars? You’d prefer to invest finances and trust with charlatans. I’m sure I’m not alone in that I just can’t even begin to comprehend that.

You're trying to engage a fellow in a conversation involving reason and similar modes usually employed to resolve differences of opinion or understanding. You will be disappointed in this case. Many of us have felt this disappointment, with this and similar fellows, multiple times. I recommend you save your finger-efforts for others who are able to engage.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

on Gove -
Cocaine is an abominable drug, by far the most hateful of all the various uppers and downers and psychoactives because it turns you into such a complete moron.

It would be weird if Gove hadn’t taken drugs

The author ( A Gove supporter) said both things just not in that order , show what you can do :lol:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/it- ... Highlights
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Jun 2019, 12:15pm, edited 3 times in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
Yo're assuming the electorate is capable of suddenly seeing reality rather than the propagada-land they're habitually tutored to "see" by the newspaps, political spinners et al. If it all crashes and burns, as seems likely post crash-out, scapegoats and pariahs by the dozen will be found and offered up for sacrifice, as usual.

The scapegoats and pariahs will not be the politicians or others who created the crash but rather the usual powerless groups traditionally hunted down when the Little English feel one of their many angsts (which angsts will increase in number and virulence post-crash). Added to these will be the various Johny Foreigners, who will be accused of not only eating babies but also conspiring against good old Blighty in, oh, all sorts of unclean ways.

We are in for some bad times ... and not just economically.

Cugel

I think he will not escape blame when things take a turn for the worse.
He is too deeply in the mire for any propoganda effort to absolve him.

It will be, as I said, of some solace to me if the EU tell him to sling his hook.
If he witholds our financial committments on top then we will see who come out stronger.

My advice is don't bet on Boris he was a terrible Foriegn secretary, far far below what I had expected.

His bed is made and he cannot unmake it now.
He has no choice but to follow the line he must take, or suffer oblivion tomrw.
IMV he merely staves of the inevitable though.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 13 Jun 2019, 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I was was in conversation yesterday with a seemingly intelligent woman,who believed BoJo a good choice for PM on the basis that she's angry the country hasn't yet left the EU,that all politicians are liars so why is he any different and that BoJo and Trump will "make a good team" :shock:
Obviously it was futile to try and point out her delusionary beliefs other than to add that she said she'd never vote anything but Tory.
Her blinkers were firmly nailed in place :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It will be, as I said, of some solace to me if the EU tell [Johnson] to sling his hook.
If he witholds our financial committments on top then we will see who come out stronger.

I am increasingly of the opinion that we should call a "no deal Brexit" what it really is: the UK government defaulting on its debts. This is incredible from so many standing for the leadership of a party which used to claim budget responsibility as one of its campaign winners!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

It will be one of those moments the 31st of October? " What were you doing then Dad"
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mercalia wrote:It will be one of those moments the 31st of October? " What were you doing then Dad"

I already know what I will be doing.(god willing)
Think palms, pizza and blue skies!!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

JohnW wrote:
Spinners wrote:
mercalia wrote:I wonder if we are seeing the end of the tory party?

We can but hope...

+1 to that, except that the worst of them could form an even more arrogant and right wing party, and get the press to tell us to vote for them. Where is this country heading? - I can't blame the Scots for wanting out.

Shouldn't that be the minority of Scots :lol:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Now he is forced to campaign for what he only saw as a vehicle to power, not his full conviction.

Assuming Johnson gets his coveted PM job, here is the ready-made excuse that the leavers will fall back on when Johnson inevitably fails. He's not a real brexiter, just a fake. That he is not a real anything is beside the point.

The Telegraph's Peter Foster is right I believe when he says the next phase of our brexit saga must be owned by a brexiter.

Maybe we should listen to MickF and support Esther McVain :lol:

(BTW I am always amazed at the chasm between Peter Foster's sensible brexit analysis, and the rest of the Telegraph's content).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Spinners wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Spinners wrote:
We can but hope...

+1 to that, except that the worst of them could form an even more arrogant and right wing party, and get the press to tell us to vote for them. Where is this country heading? - I can't blame the Scots for wanting out.

Where did you get that opinion from? Seems a bit dated to me. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Esther MvVey only got 9 and is out
So has the Anrdea woman
Johnson got over 100
Gove only 30 odd

So it looks the Clown of no.10 will be the man . God Help Us.
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Jun 2019, 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Paulatic wrote:
Spinners wrote:
JohnW wrote:+1 to that, except that the worst of them could form an even more arrogant and right wing party, and get the press to tell us to vote for them. Where is this country heading? - I can't blame the Scots for wanting out.

Where did you get that opinion from? Seems a bit dated to me. :D

I read about some sort of 'once in a generation' Scottish Independence Referendum :wink: that happened in 2014.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)